Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2015, 03:45 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,948,595 times

Advertisements

Well, now I have to read The Pecan Man! I "looked inside" and by the end of the sample I was hooked! She's my kind of author. Her sense of dialogue is right on target and I snickered several times through the first pages. I'm checking with the library in the morning and if it's not available, I'll be spending actual money to get it on my Kindle.

I still haven't made it to the final page of Perdido River Bastard. If the author had left out about 15 of the characters he seemed to think were relevant, it might have made a good short story!

Just started Twelve Years a Slave. But if I get The Pecan Man, that will zoom to the front of the line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2015, 03:49 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Well, now I have to read The Pecan Man! I "looked inside" and by the end of the sample I was hooked! She's my kind of author. Her sense of dialogue is right on target and I snickered several times through the first pages. I'm checking with the library in the morning and if it's not available, I'll be spending actual money to get it on my Kindle.

Just started Twelve Years a Slave. But if I get The Pecan Man, that will zoom to the front of the line.
I looked for it everywhere and it seems that it's only available from Amazon.

Oh, hang on. I just noticed something. Let me PM you.

Old 07-08-2015, 03:51 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,948,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Well, new to this fast-paced thread, I'm wondering how you all keep up with each other.
I can't manage to keep up with all that goes on in here. I read the posts on a regular basis, but don't contribute if I don't have anything pertinent to add. BUT it's where you can get some good ideas about what to read and pretty soon you may even find a poster who has the same tastes as you have and will get some great ideas.

I must confess I read to be entertained; I read enough technical stuff over the years and I now have other interests to fill my learning needs. Welcome to the friendliest group on CD.

Old 07-08-2015, 04:48 PM

I don't know this man who wrote this memoir, nor do I believe in hunting or religion. I have 72 million books (only a slight exaggeration) on my Kindle and/or on my "to read" list. Yet I'm still trolling on Amazon like the good little book hoarder that I am. And I came across this -- THIS! -- book. Why did I click on it? No idea. I read the synopsis and I gravitate AWAY from books that are labeled as "funny." So why did I read the sample? No idea. And why did I then request that my library get the book? THIS! THIS IS WHY!!! Read the sample. I'll wait here for you.

The World's Largest Man: A Memoir - Kindle edition by Harrison Scott Key. Humor & Entertainment Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.

PS. I've had a really hard day at work. I'm wound up so tight right now that... I don't even know. I feel like I could burst. If you don't like the sample as much as I did, then I'm likely delusional about it and will, no doubt, like it much less (i.e. not at all) tomorrow after an Ativan and a good night's sleep.

Old 07-08-2015, 05:02 PM

674 posts, read 611,052 times
Aside from technical books I have to read for work, I have three novels I'm trying to get through in my free time.

The first is Murakami's Wind-Up Bird Chronicle. I've read most of Murakami's other books, so I more or less know what I'm getting with this one. I like it so far, and it's been two years since I've read anything by Murakami, so I'm ready to enjoy another one of his books. However, I don't love it as much as I would have if I'd read it ten years ago. Murakami seems to write for a younger audience of people with less structure to their lives. Even when he writes about families, the families almost always consiste of individuals who happen to be going through life near each other more than with each other, and that doesn't ring very true to life to me. Still, the eerie setting and the kafka-esque action make most Murakami memorable, and Wind-Up Bird is well-known as his best. It's not supposed to be realistic; it's supposed to be like watching a play performed by dolls and puppets through a funhouse mirror covered in fog where the dialogue is all in French and the chairs smell like a library. At a certain point, you're there for the literary experience.

The second book is one I just started: Ba Jin's Family. I don't care for the translation so far; it feels as if it was translated very literally, so a lot of the style feels a bit off in English. The story is classic, though, and I look forward to seeing where it goes. From a historical standpoint, this is the most important of the three. Right now, I've only read a couple of chapters, though, so I can't say much.

The third, and my favorite of the three by far, is Pynchon's Mason & Dixon, which is quite possibly one of the greatest novels ever written about friendship. Its writing is both skillful and extremely beautiful in places, the characters are fleshed out when they need to be and flat and cartoony when they're just there for a laugh. The situations depicted are at once hilarious and poignant, and the novel actually has plenty to say, from high philosophical musings to political and social commentary to lowbrow jokes and funny images. It's hard to do better than Pynchon, and Mason & Dixon is Pynchon at his best, even if it's probably not going to be my favorite Pynchon novel by the time I'm through (which, to be fair, is about as useful as saying The Godfather is not my favorite Godfather movie or saying Throne of Blood isn't quite my favorite piece from Kurosawa). I really, really love this book, and I recommend it to just about anyone.

Old 07-08-2015, 05:10 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
Tush , Pinetreelover you kill me I am still giggling over that one . I found a shirt the other day and I had to have it so I got it . It says : Lord give me peace because if you give me strength I will need bail money to go with it . LOL . Yes these are the kinds of shirts I buy and wear .just saying pinetreelover has a wonderful sense of humor .

Old 07-09-2015, 03:14 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I don't know this man who wrote this memoir, nor do I believe in hunting or religion. I have 72 million books (only a slight exaggeration) on my Kindle and/or on my "to read" list. Yet I'm still trolling on Amazon like the good little book hoarder that I am. And I came across this -- THIS! -- book. Why did I click on it? No idea. I read the synopsis and I gravitate AWAY from books that are labeled as "funny." So why did I read the sample? No idea. And why did I then request that my library get the book? THIS! THIS IS WHY!!! Read the sample. I'll wait here for you.

The World's Largest Man: A Memoir - Kindle edition by Harrison Scott Key. Humor & Entertainment Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.

PS. I've had a really hard day at work. I'm wound up so tight right now that... I don't even know. I feel like I could burst. If you don't like the sample as much as I did, then I'm likely delusional about it and will, no doubt, like it much less (i.e. not at all) tomorrow after an Ativan and a good night's sleep.

Sorry about your stressful day. Hope you have a better one today.

The book sounds good…so how is it today for you?

I just finished Now You See Me which was a very good Jack the Ripper type thriller. I liked the twists in the book and I will read more in this series.

Now I am reading a YA book, All the Bright Places. This is what the blurb about it says:
"The Fault in Our Stars meets Eleanor and Park in this exhilarating and heart-wrenching love story about a girl who learns to live from a boy who intends to die."

Personally I like the characters much better than The Fault in Our Stars or Eleanor and Park.

This is also written by the same author who wrote Velva Jean Learns to Drive and Velva Jean Learns to Fly.

Old 07-09-2015, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Sorry about your stressful day. Hope you have a better one today.

The book sounds good…so how is it today for you?

Hahahaha! Thanks, sweets. It's too early to tell yet, and I don't want to read the sample again -- I want to keep liking and looking forward to it.

I got to 88% in The Pecan Man last night but then I couldn't keep my eyes open anymore. I'll finish it tonight, though (Hi, theatergypsy! ) and I'll be sad to see it end.

Old 07-09-2015, 08:32 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxgrrl View Post
Whoever suggested 'The Girls ' by Lori Lansens, thank you! I am almost done reading it and it is a wonderful, funny, lovely read! I haven't enjoyed a story like this in a long time!
Isn't it just wonderful?!? I read it several years back and Dawn just read it. I can't remember if anyone else has read it so I am absolutely thrilled that you did! You will continue to think of them in the years ahead, those characters. They just stay with you.

Old 07-09-2015, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly-Kay View Post
Lordy Dawn, I don't even like acronyms but my sheer laziness wins out every darn time! Please take it easy on me.....I am selling my company and if I was stressed out before I am now double stressed. There is just tooooooo much to wrap up in the final days!

Netwit, see above! I promise, it is sheer laziness on my part but I also promise on my honor that as soon as the transaction is complete I will use full titles when I refer to a book. That is unless it's TGLAPPPS! LOL!!!
OMG!!! You didn't think I was really giving you a hard time, did you? SMH.

I hope that the company sale goes easily. And then you can relax.

xxo <-- not an acronym; just two smooches and a hug

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxgrrl View Post
Whoever suggested 'The Girls ' by Lori Lansens, thank you! I am almost done reading it and it is a wonderful, funny, lovely read! I haven't enjoyed a story like this in a long time!
I was the person who kept talking about it a few weeks ago because WOW!, right?

Did you feel like me and had to keep reminding yourself that these were fictional people?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books