Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2015, 09:10 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times

Advertisements

Y'all have convinced me to set Stern Men aside and start The Girls. I'm tired of lobster, tired of Unmotivated Ruth Thomas and tired of quirky towns people. I might come back to it (actually, I'm pretty sure I will), but I'm in the mood for something with a little more spunk right now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 09:14 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
Y'all have convinced me to set Stern Men aside and start The Girls. I'm tired of lobster, tired of Unmotivated Ruth Thomas and tired of quirky towns people. I might come back to it (actually, I'm pretty sure I will), but I'm in the mood for something with a little more spunk right now!
Yay! I'll be anxious to hear what you think of it. I hope you love it like we did.

Old 07-09-2015, 09:21 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
"I'm tired of lobster"? I can't even parse that sentence. (I love lobster.)

I'm sorry that you're not loving Stern Men as much as I did. Just FYI (sorry, Holly-Kay), Ruth gets motivated.

I hope that you enjoy The Girls. I thought it was fabulous. No, scratch that ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
Yay! I'll be anxious to hear what you think of it. I hope you love it like we did.
... We thought it was fabulous.

Old 07-09-2015, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
"I'm tired of lobster"? I can't even parse that sentence. (I love lobster.)

I'm sorry that you're not loving Stern Men as much as I did. Just FYI (sorry, Holly-Kay), Ruth gets motivated.

I hope that you enjoy The Girls. I thought it was fabulous. No, scratch that ...

... We thought it was fabulous.
Yes WE did.

I just put a hold on her first book, Rush Home Road, at the library. I'm seriously thinking about re-reading The Girls too since it's been several years since I read it. Pretty sure I gave my copy to my mom which means it's in Minnesota or Arizona. Library might be in order for that one too along with her other one and the most recent is on order at the library. Sigh. So many books, too poor to quit my job and just read all day.

Old 07-09-2015, 10:52 AM

12,193 posts, read 2,961,959 times
Reading a book about pet and animal stories. So cute and fun and sad, but in a good way. lol

Old 07-09-2015, 12:38 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
I finished The Pecan Man. What a devastating little book. Had it been 300 pages, rather than half that, the author surely would have said too much and given away the ending.

I don't know the publishing house (the publisher is listed on Amazon as "The Pecan Man" - hahaha!) but it's clear that this wasn't the work of a professional writer or editor or publisher. Yet, despite all that, it was a labor of love, and it succeeded at that just perfectly.

Old 07-09-2015, 01:59 PM

Quote:
I finished The Pecan Man. What a devastating little book. Had it been 300 pages, rather than half that, the author surely would have said too much and given away the ending.

I don't know the publishing house (the publisher is listed on Amazon as "The Pecan Man" - hahaha!) but it's clear that this wasn't the work of a professional writer or editor or publisher. Yet, despite all that, it was a labor of love, and it succeeded at that just perfectly.
Well now it might have just moved up to the top of my list after that review. Those other 2 library books might just sit on the shelf another day or 2.

Old 07-09-2015, 04:11 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,948,595 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
Well now it might have just moved up to the top of my list after that review. Those other 2 library books might just sit on the shelf another day or 2.
Shelve them. Don't worry, they won't be on the shelf too long.

I just finished The Pecan Man. Just like Dawn, I can vouch for the fact that it is a readable little book.

Old 07-09-2015, 05:11 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,372,071 times
Quote:

I agree! I just finished Finders Keepers. It was pretty good, IMO.

Old 07-09-2015, 05:18 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
I just finished Pines (the Wayward Pines Trilogy) by Bruce Crouch. It caught me by surprise and I enjoyed it. None of my second guessing was correct. I'm now reading Wayward which is the second in the trilogy.

The story is a mixture of Little House on the Prairie and The Twilight Zone. I like it.
I read The Pecan Man a couple of years ago. Excellent story. When I hear the title I think of a clearing in the woods where a man sits in a dilapidated, stuffing-coming-out recliner. That story has stayed with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books