Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2015, 05:28 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,023,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
I agree! I just finished Finders Keepers. It was pretty good, IMO.
I've been told to read -- errr, I mean, it's been suggested that I read -- Finders Keepers. I understand that I have to -- or should -- read Mr. Mercedes first. I love how Stephen King writes but, seeing as I've only ever read a few of his short stories and Dolores Claibourne (I don't read horror), I have to gear myself up for it.

Update at 8:12 p.m.: I'm going to start Mr. Mercedes tonight.

Last edited by DawnMTL; 07-09-2015 at 06:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 06:30 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,254,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I've been told to read -- errr, I mean, it's been suggested that I read -- Finders Keepers. I understand that I have to -- or should -- read Mr. Mercedes first. I love how Stephen King writes but, seeing as I've only ever read a few of his short stories and Dolores Claibourne (I don't read horror), I have to gear myself up for it.

Update at 8:12 p.m.: I'm going to start Mr. Mercedes tonight.
I believe it was Cujo or the The Standwhen I stopped reading King. I was afraid of leaving my closet door open at night. However, I am next in line for Mr. Mercedes Not too much scares me now.

Old 07-09-2015, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
I believe it was Cujo or the The Standwhen I stopped reading King. I was afraid of leaving my closet door open at night. However, I am next in line for Mr. Mercedes Not too much scares me now.
I was next in line for the Kindle version from one library, but the other library happened to have it on the shelf... in paper... IN LARGE PRINT. If it was any larger, it would be a billboard. (Irony: I couldn't find it. I had to ask the woman at the reference desk to help me. I, um, didn't happen to notice the HUGE SIGN in the LARGE PRINT area that said NEW RELEASES. I rolled my eyes and told her, "See why I need large print?" She didn't even laugh. I felt like such an old lady.)

By the way, if you want a softer, gentler read (here I go again, being a pusher), try The Pecan Man and also The Girls (the one by Lori Lansens).

Old 07-09-2015, 07:01 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,254,113 times
Quote:
I was next in line for the Kindle version from one library, but the other library happened to have it on the shelf... in paper... IN LARGE PRINT. If it was any larger, it would be a billboard. (Irony: I couldn't find it. I had to ask the woman at the reference desk to help me. I, um, didn't happen to notice the HUGE SIGN in the LARGE PRINT area that said NEW RELEASES. I rolled my eyes and told her, "See why I need large print?" She didn't even laugh. I felt like such an old lady.)

By the way, if you want a softer, gentler read (here I go again, being a pusher), try The Pecan Man and also The Girls (the one by Lori Lansens).
I'm already on hold for The Girls. My library has the Pecan Man only audio for the Kindle. I'm addicted to the Kindle. Been there, done that for large print. Lol
Anxiously waiting for my next Herman Koch translation.

Last edited by tigerlily; 07-09-2015 at 07:13 PM..

Old 07-09-2015, 08:41 PM

Question for those of you have have read Mr. Mercedes:

Preamble: I got the LARGE PRINT (in print! duh!) version because it was available NOW at my library. So instead of 448 pages, it's 661 pages. I'm on page -- hang on, let me check -- page 64. So almost 10%. From the few pieces by Stephen King that I've read, keeping in mind that I don't read horror or paranormal or whatever, so I've only read a few short stories and Dolores Claibourne (and have Lisey's Story on my Kindle, as well as 11/22/63, which I'm a bit leery about because I've heard that there's some paranormal aspects to it), what I've liked about him is that his stories are "different." There's something off-kilter and deeply psychological.

The question: So far, Mr. Mercedes, although the writing is good, seems to be a ho-hum story of a cop looking to catch a killer. That's so completely NOT my kind of story. Not only do I find that kind of story boring... I find that kind of story boring. (Sorry. I lost my thought.) Is there anything "different" in this story? Off-kilter? Deeply psychological? I need more than a retired cop looking for a killer.

Old 07-09-2015, 09:40 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Quote:
Question for those of you have have read Mr. Mercedes:

Preamble: I got the LARGE PRINT (in print! duh!) version because it was available NOW at my library. So instead of 448 pages, it's 661 pages. I'm on page -- hang on, let me check -- page 64. So almost 10%. From the few pieces by Stephen King that I've read, keeping in mind that I don't read horror or paranormal or whatever, so I've only read a few short stories and Dolores Claibourne (and have Lisey's Story on my Kindle, as well as 11/22/63, which I'm a bit leery about because I've heard that there's some paranormal aspects to it), what I've liked about him is that his stories are "different." There's something off-kilter and deeply psychological.

The question: So far, Mr. Mercedes, although the writing is good, seems to be a ho-hum story of a cop looking to catch a killer. That's so completely NOT my kind of story. Not only do I find that kind of story boring... I find that kind of story boring. (Sorry. I lost my thought.) Is there anything "different" in this story? Off-kilter? Deeply psychological? I need more than a retired cop looking for a killer.
I think I read that one. If my memory isn't failing me, I thought it was ho hum.

Old 07-10-2015, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I think I read that one. If my memory isn't failing me, I thought it was ho hum.
Thanks, netwit. I'm giving up on it (and its sequel). If I read any Stephen King, it'll be Lisey's Story. Hmmm. Maybe I'll start it tonight. We'll see.

Last edited by DawnMTL; 07-10-2015 at 05:40 AM..

Old 07-10-2015, 06:10 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,350,226 times
I finished The Stranger last night and dove right into The Pee-Can Man. I'm pretty sure one of the hard copy library books is going back unread. The other one is a maybe. I'm next in line for My Sunshine Away which was mentioned here but I just moved up to next in line so it could be 3 weeks before I get it. We shall see what happens after The Pee-Can Man. (See I've read chapter one where she says that they pronounced it Pee-Can ).

Old 07-10-2015, 08:47 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,949,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
I finished The Stranger last night and dove right into The Pee-Can Man. I'm pretty sure one of the hard copy library books is going back unread. The other one is a maybe. I'm next in line for My Sunshine Away which was mentioned here but I just moved up to next in line so it could be 3 weeks before I get it. We shall see what happens after The Pee-Can Man. (See I've read chapter one where she says that they pronounced it Pee-Can ).

It drives me nuts to hear pee-can, the word is puh-con, dammit! But in the context of the book, I had no problem accepting pee-can. Funny what a book can do. Destroys all those preconceived ideas that one must never, ever mispronounce a word. (I do hope that no one writes a book and expects me to accept the ice cream as "Butter Peekin.")

Cacoepy aside, I hope you like The Pecan Man as much as I (and DawnMTL).

Old 07-10-2015, 09:48 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Hi, new to this thread...thought I'd post about a book I didn't intend to read but did. I borrowed a Kindle from my public library to see how it feels reading from one. One of the free books offered is A Train in Winter: An Extraordinary Story of Women, Friendship, and Resistance in Occupied France by Caroline Moorehead.
Welcome and Thanks! You are in a great place here for discovering unexpected gems -- and learning about duds. (I have a couple of those to comment on later.)

My library does have this book -- it's even available! I put it on my TRL and will look at it once I get through the four in queue here before me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
Won a first reads book giveaway at goodreads and just received it! Secret Of Blackjack Woods by Ashlen Brown.
Sounds like a YA Bigfoot book,and since I love forests,and the unexplained,should be fun to read.
I am thrilled to learn someone I actually "know" has won one of their drawings. I enter all the time but have yet to get a response.

Quote:
Three of the books on my "to read" list were released today. The one that I was most curious about -- Among the Ten Thousand Things -- had gotten terrible reviews on Amazon by some readers who received pre-published galleys and those negatives kept piling up today. I got more curious and, even though I don't read reviews, I read some of them on Amazon and on Goodreads (I'm not a member there).

Someone wrote some advice -- and you know it's great advice when it's written in ALL-CAPS -- and I'm going to do this when I get around to reading the book: ...
Too bad Goodreads doesn't have a Do NOT read category! Hmmm. For this perhaps I will create my own.
I never read a book with advanced warnings -- well, almost never.

I've had two duds recently:
"The Year of the Hare" by Arto Paasilinna -- too contrived and ridiculous. Not funny ridiculous, just unbelievable.

"The Silkworm" by Robert Galbraith (J.K. Rowling), read by Robert Glenister -- how can anyone make up a story with so many forgetable, uninteresting characters about finding someone that nobody in the story cared about? Frankly, after reading the first Harry Potter, and now this -- Ms. Rowling by any name is off my TRL.

I'm still reading "A Conspiracy of Faith" by by Jussi Adler-Olsen, but it's still questionable whether I will be able to finish it. I love the primary characters in this series (so far), but this one has a nasty badie and I don't know if I will be able to read about his crimes without being overwhelmed. I'm impressionable, still, after all these years.

As for the audio, I'm thinking about Maeve Binchy's "Heart and Soul."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books