Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2015, 03:38 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,312,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Harper Lee's (To Kill a Mockingbird) long-awaited second book is coming out this month. First chapter can be accessed within this article.
Harper Lee's 'Go Set a Watchman' Reveals Shocker in First Chapter - NBC News

It features protagonist "Scout" as an adult. Should be an interesting read.
I just read the first chapter. OMG! This is going to be so much fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 04:13 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
I finished All The Bright Places last night and I liked the kids in this better than The Fault in Our Stars. Not to confuse you though as the book is not about cancer.

I just got back from one of my favorite places, the library I picked up a few that were on hold for me and since they are on hold for others I will read them next. Drum roll please and they are:

The Stranger by Harlan Coben

The Liar by Nora Roberts

Compulsion by Allison Brennan

I also picked up Uncommon Reader but no one else has that on hold.

Ooh and I won a copy of The Truth According to Us which I got in the mail today

Happy reading.
How much do you read in a 24-hour period?!!

Old 07-10-2015, 04:18 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,252,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
For those who liked Pines I came across this one:

The Wall by Marlen Haushofer, Shaun Whiteside

"First published to acclaim in Germany, The Wall chronicles the life of the last surviving human on earth, an ordinary middle-aged woman who awakens one morning to find that everyone else has vanished. Assuming her isolation to be the result of a military experiment gone awry, she begins the terrifying work of survival and self-renewal. This novel is at once a simple and moving tale and a disturbing meditation on humanity."
Check out the Discussion of this wonderful book here. It was out of print for awhile.

//www.city-data.com/forum/books...ml#post3370161

Old 07-10-2015, 04:43 PM

7,306 posts, read 9,314,019 times
Okay, you guys. Stop already. I can't keep up with this thread.

Old 07-10-2015, 08:14 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I know, right? It sorta scares me.

BTW: I've been listening to "Heart and Soul" all afternoon as I worked on quilts and I remember all over again why I loved Maeve Binchy. RIP.

Old 07-11-2015, 05:26 AM

4,723 posts, read 4,413,722 times
I am always in awe of how much you guys (I think it's probably about 98% ladies?) read.
I think I would say on average I probably read 2 books a month. On occasion if I have more time, or am really grabbed by the book I can be a lot quicker, but that seems to be my style.
I am in awe of how consistent you guys are!!
I am still reading Confederacy of Dunces- really enjoying it but just haven't had much time to read. (I guess it's that I haven't made much time to read).........

Old 07-11-2015, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Harper Lee's (To Kill a Mockingbird) long-awaited second book is coming out this month. First chapter can be accessed within this article.
Harper Lee's 'Go Set a Watchman' Reveals Shocker in First Chapter - NBC News

It features protagonist "Scout" as an adult. Should be an interesting read.
What the title means:

'Go Set a Watchman': What does Harper Lee's book title mean? | AL.com

Old 07-11-2015, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Me too. I'm new to it and it's like riding a roller coaster. I get my Kindle PW this weekend and will have to get up to speed.

Old 07-11-2015, 06:15 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times
Quote:
How much do you read in a 24-hour period?!!
Right now my husband and I aren't building anything so I only have my volunteering at the library, the grandkids, and my garden. Oh and I am playing nurse to my husband who just had surgery. I don't watch any TV so I can read quite a bit. I read an hour while on the treadmill and 2-3 hours more throughout the day and night.

I read a lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
Check out the Discussion of this wonderful book here. It was out of print for awhile.

//www.city-data.com/forum/books...ml#post3370161
That is great. Thank you. I saved it for when I get the book…which could be quite some time. I might need to be reminded again

Quote:
Ha, ha…I hear you. Between here and goodreads I add about 3 books a day. There is "no" way I can ever read that many books. Yes I am addicted to reading and hearing about reviews.

Quote:

Quote:
Me too. I'm new to it and it's like riding a roller coaster. I get my Kindle PW this weekend and will have to get up to speed.
"Up to speed" probably not…but it is fun trying Have fun with your new Kindle.

I am reading The Liar by Nora Roberts(I used to love Nora Roberts books) and so far it is a great read. It's about a young woman who is unknowingly conned by her husband. She finds out after he dies and she and her young daughter go back home to her family in Tennessee. I love the characters in her hometown. The book will progress into more but for now I am liking her small hometown and all the quirky and fun people.

It's one of those feel good small towns The way everyone knows everyone else and if you go into town for one thing you end up being out for hours. It remind me of my town here in TN

BTW, it is "clean" so far.

Old 07-11-2015, 07:23 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,842,780 times
I finished the YA Bigfoot adventure book that I won in the goodreads- first reads book giveaway.Which was such a surprise because though it was on my 'want to read' list I hadn't entered a giveaway for it.There was none[as far as I know],so I was really surprised to get this book in the mail,lol!

Anyway~The Secret Of Blackjack Woods by Ashlen Brown
,was a 5-star read for me.So sweet because of the really nice, loving family members,and such a fun adventure story.

Last night I started ~The Ivy Tree by Mary Stewart, and I'm not sure I can stick with it. Just doesn't seem to be engaging me much.I'm where the main protagonist Mary, is just talking to the half sister of Con Winslow. I will try to give it several more chapters.

Lisa, I had several titles by Nora Roberts I wanted to try, but one of them[don't remember which... started off with some strong cursing],so I was afraid they were all like that and returned them unread to the library! The Liar was one I wanted to read. If it only has occasional language and no graphic sex,please let me know,lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books