Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2015, 07:04 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I got to 27% in The Small Backs of Children and had to give it up. It's just too weird. There is no interaction between the characters, no dialogue. They are all completely solitary. I'm outta there.
Took myself off the hold list based on your comments because you warned me about Etta and the rest of them but I still read it and had the same response. So I imagine this would be the same, based on book synopsis and your comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2015, 12:49 PM

2,418 posts, read 2,035,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
I will hold off on the place order button until someone here reviews Harper Lee's Go Set A Watchmen.
The review I read in the New York Times, which I won't go into detail as it would be a spoiler, does not make me happy
Hi everyone, I don't post here too often as I came to the thread fairly recently & have been trying to catch up. A futile exercise! But I read your posts, add some titles to my list, and hop on here now & then to say thx for the recommendations.

I'm embarrassed to say there are many classics I have yet to read and To Kill A Mockingbird is one of them. When the buzz came out a few months ago about the upcoming "sequel", I picked up a copy of Mockingbird so I could move onto Watchman. Then a few days ago I heard a roundtable radio discussion about Watchman really being a failed first draft of Mockingbird which never would have been published if Harper Lee's sister Alice had not died last year. Alice was Harper's attorney and manager as well. The controversy surrounding this new book getting published when Harper is in assisted living with questionable dementia is so sad to hear. So I will only read To Kill A Mockingbird & leave Go Set A Watchman off my list for good.

But after I finish Mockingbird, I want to read "The Mockingbird Next Door: Life With Harper Lee". I listened to an interview with the author Marja Mills, and it sounds fascinating. The author rented a house next to Lee & her sister Alice. For 18 months the women shared parts of small town life in Alabama. I think, after everyone telling me how much I will love Lee's classic, that her biography is how I will want to remember her. I have to wonder - besides money - what the real motivation was to publish a failed first draft that so alters the main character.

Old 07-16-2015, 12:54 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgerider View Post
Hi everyone, I don't post here too often as I came to the thread fairly recently & have been trying to catch up. A futile exercise! But I read your posts, add some titles to my list, and hop on here now & then to say thx for the recommendations.

I'm embarrassed to say there are many classics I have yet to read and To Kill A Mockingbird is one of them. When the buzz came out a few months ago about the upcoming "sequel", I picked up a copy of Mockingbird so I could move onto Watchman. Then a few days ago I heard a roundtable radio discussion about Watchman really being a failed first draft of Mockingbird which never would have been published if Harper Lee's sister Alice had not died last year. Alice was Harper's attorney and manager as well. The controversy surrounding this new book getting published when Harper is in assisted living with questionable dementia is so sad to hear. So I will only read To Kill A Mockingbird & leave Go Set A Watchman off my list for good.

But after I finish Mockingbird, I want to read "The Mockingbird Next Door: Life With Harper Lee". I listened to an interview with the author Marja Mills, and it sounds fascinating. The author rented a house next to Lee & her sister Alice. For 18 months the women shared parts of small town life in Alabama. I think, after everyone telling me how much I will love Lee's classic, that her biography is how I will want to remember her. I have to wonder - besides money - what the real motivation was to publish a failed first draft that so alters the main character.
I don't mean to dissuade you, but:

Quote:
As usual, Harper Lee says it best herself:
"Miss Mills befriended my elderly sister, Alice. It did not take long to discover Marja's true mision; another book about Harper Lee. I was hurt, angry and saddened, but not surprised. I immediately cut off all contact with Miss Mills, leaving town whenever she headed this way. I understand that Ms. Mills has a statement signed by my elderly sister claiming I cooperated with this book. My sister would have been 100 years old at the time...Rest assured, as long as I am alive any book purporting to be with my cooperation is a falsehood."

Old 07-16-2015, 01:41 PM

496 posts, read 395,417 times
ARGGGGGH! You all are making me crazy, or crazier. I can NOT keep up. My TR list is as long as my arm and every day I find three or four books to add to it.

Dawn, I am almost finished with The Invention of Wings. About 50% in I started to get annoyed. The main character has a serious lack of backbone. I do like the author's writing style and the story took off for me right from the beginning....Now I am bored to death. I just want to shake the feathers out of Sarah and tell her to get a backbone already. I will finish it but I wouldn't recommend it. So next up is "The Girls".

Old 07-16-2015, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly-Kay View Post
ARGGGGGH! You all are making me crazy, or crazier. I can NOT keep up. My TR list is as long as my arm and every day I find three or four books to add to it.

Dawn, I am almost finished with The Invention of Wings. About 50% in I started to get annoyed. The main character has a serious lack of backbone. I do like the author's writing style and the story took off for me right from the beginning....Now I am bored to death. I just want to shake the feathers out of Sarah and tell her to get a backbone already. I will finish it but I wouldn't recommend it. So next up is "The Girls".
I read about 10 pages, got annoyed, and stopped reading it. You're much more devoted than I'll ever be. I have no patience for crap.

Old 07-16-2015, 02:24 PM

2,418 posts, read 2,035,099 times
Quote:
I don't mean to dissuade you, but:
That's even sadder still!

Old 07-16-2015, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgerider View Post
That's even sadder still!
Right!?!? If there was a dollar to be wrung from her, it seems that everyone was up to the task. Awful!

Old 07-16-2015, 04:14 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,965,744 times
I got my new Kindle Paperwhite today. I just now searched for a CD discussion of Kindle but don't find anything 2015. Does anyone here know of a discussion? Thanks.

Old 07-16-2015, 04:23 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly-Kay View Post

Quote:
I read about 10 pages, got annoyed, and stopped reading it. You're much more devoted than I'll ever be. I have no patience for crap.
Oh well…I really liked the book I hear you about backbone but you have to keep in mind the times. Heck few women of today will go against the grain…imagine how it was then

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I got my new Kindle Paperwhite today. I just now searched for a CD discussion of Kindle but don't find anything 2015. Does anyone here know of a discussion? Thanks.
Congrats Not sure what you are looking for….how about this:
https://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle

Old 07-16-2015, 04:26 PM

4,724 posts, read 4,415,751 times
HollyKay-and Dawn- re Invention of Wings- I had heard such raves about it so I suggested it for a book club. I thought it was decent but I too couldn't wait to finish it and thought it was a good book but nothing spectacular.
I might be confusing it with another book but I think that when I learned it was based on true people I was more impressed with it. But definitely didn't love it.

So I will pay more attention to books you recommend- though you ladies sure read so much more than I do.

I was happy to see that others are going to read Queenie.
(Netwit- try it again).
congrats newenglandgirl- enjoy . I still haven't ordered one.
I get to pick up the life changing magic of tidying up AND Pioneer girl that was suggested several pages ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books