Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-19-2015, 01:35 PM
 
7 posts, read 5,635 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

I've just finished this one http://www.amazon.com/Una-Selindzher...words=begbeder. Actually I'm not a fan of Begbeder but this time I liked the book and all this "faction"-thing he described. The last chapter was very touching from my point of view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-19-2015, 05:14 PM
 
4,724 posts, read 4,416,945 times
Reputation: 8481
Finished Confederacy of Dunces ( never did read it way back when.... quite a good book if you haven't read it-)........and now, started The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up. I think I am going to be quite receptive to this- though I don't know that I will go whole hog- we shall see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2015, 05:22 PM
 
Location: LA County
222 posts, read 231,768 times
Reputation: 48
The Origins of the American Party System - Joseph charles
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2015, 05:55 AM
 
Location: Savannah GA/Lk Hopatcong NJ
13,402 posts, read 28,721,568 times
Reputation: 12067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
Finished Confederacy of Dunces ( never did read it way back when.... quite a good book if you haven't read it-)........and now, started The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up. I think I am going to be quite receptive to this- though I don't know that I will go whole hog- we shall see.
Great Book!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2015, 06:08 AM
 
4,046 posts, read 2,130,991 times
Reputation: 10985
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I bought two Kindle books by Vivian Gornick: Fierce Attachments and her newest one, The Odd Woman and the City. They're both memoir-ish. I say "ish" because they're not linear -- they're chatty stories, kind of like how Abigail Thomas writes (What Comes Next and How to Like It), but Vivian Gornick is harsher, more New Yorky, Jewish, take-no-prisoners RAWWWR! I'm going to start with Fierce Attachments. Her poor mother.
Dawn, I'll be curious to see what you think of Odd Woman and The City. It was my first book by her. I was underwhelmed. I skimmed through it for 20 minutes before bed, so it served its purpose as bedtime reading that I wouldn't get overly engrossed in. A couple of pithy remarks and observations, but she certainly doesn't strike me as the poster child for mental health and happiness. I thought I am a bit cynical, but she takes it to whole other level. I didn't even see her friendship with Leonard as being much of a positive thing--they are too similar in their jaded world view. Lots of complaints about other people and how the world functions, but not a whole lot of introspection about themselves and what they might do to develop as people and be the change they want to see in the world.

At least I finished the book with gratitude....that I didn't pay a penny for it, having gotten it from the library. If anyone had paid the price listed on the jacket ($23, I believe) I would think they would feel ripped off for such a small (in size, length, and heart) book.

But how do I really feel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2015, 06:11 AM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
17,330 posts, read 33,023,154 times
Reputation: 28903
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Dawn, I'll be curious to see what you think of Odd Woman and The City. It was my first book by her. I was underwhelmed. I skimmed through it for 20 minutes before bed, so it served its purpose as bedtime reading that I wouldn't get overly engrossed in. A couple of pithy remarks and observations, but she certainly doesn't strike me as the poster child for mental health and happiness. I thought I am a bit cynical, but she takes it to whole other level. I didn't even see her friendship with Leonard as being much of a positive thing--they are too similar in their jaded world view. Lots of complaints about other people and how the world functions, but not a whole lot of introspection about themselves and what they might do to develop as people and be the change they want to see in the world.

At least I finished the book with gratitude....that I didn't pay a penny for it, having gotten it from the library. If anyone had paid the price listed on the jacket ($23, I believe) I would think they would feel ripped off for such a small (in size, length, and heart) book.

But how do I really feel?
I'm with ya. I only read a few pages of The Odd Woman and the City. I kind of finished Fierce Attachments (I skimmed the end) and then needed a Gornick break because, yeah, she's draining.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2015, 06:31 AM
 
1,833 posts, read 3,350,226 times
Reputation: 1795
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Younger by Suzanne Munshower.

Younger, Suzanne Munshower - Amazon.com

This one caught me by surprise. It sounded interesting and was only $1.99 for the kindle. So, I bought it. It's really good. Kinda' hard to describe. I didn't want to go to bed last night because it's so good. Woke up this morning and it's the first thing I thought of.

It's a bit Hitchcockian and in no way a sweet story. It's exciting like Coben's The Stranger is. What's going on? It is slowly unfolding but I am unable to second guess it.

The editing is excellent. I have to look up words from time to time (I like that). The protagonist is likeable and I think a lot of readers will identify with her.

I highly recommend this one.
This is good news. This was a Kindle First book that I had gotten.

I am currently reading The Mountain Story by Lori Lansens. I also have A Man Called Ove waiting for me from the library. I'm also first in line for about 3 or 4 other books. Hopefully life stays somewhat less hectic than it has been for the next few weeks so I can read them all before more are mine and I add more to my already lengthy TBR list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2015, 02:47 PM
 
Location: Under a bridge
2,420 posts, read 3,848,395 times
Reputation: 2496
Just started reading The Simple Best Investment: Creating Wealth with Dividend Growth by Lowell Miller. So far so good. Easy to understand. Love books!

-Cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2015, 07:43 PM
 
4,046 posts, read 2,130,991 times
Reputation: 10985
I have a winner: The Daylight Marriage by Heidi Pitlor. I almost didn't want to read it because there was a blurb on the jacket from Stephen King praising the book and he's not a writer I enjoy (life lesson! Don't discount something just because someone you may not like also likes it). A small book, somewhat literary but fast reading. There is a lot of tension in the book, but it's not a thriller per se. It's more of an autopsy of a failing marriage/family. A husband (a climate scientist who is a little aloof) has a fight with his wife and then she goes missing. Told from both his and her point of view. By the middle we are pretty sure where this is headed and the ending is not a surprise. No great epiphanies. Kind of chilling to watch the chain of events unravel and see where one argument and wrong decisionscan lead. Very well done. I'm embarrassed to say that I can't remember if I read her other book, The Birthdays, but I will definitely look into it.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Daylight-M..._bxgy_14_img_y
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2015, 07:55 PM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
17,330 posts, read 33,023,154 times
Reputation: 28903
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
I have a winner: The Daylight Marriage by Heidi Pitlor. I almost didn't want to read it because there was a blurb on the jacket from Stephen King praising the book and he's not a writer I enjoy (life lesson! Don't discount something just because someone you may not like also likes it). A small book, somewhat literary but fast reading. There is a lot of tension in the book, but it's not a thriller per se. It's more of an autopsy of a failing marriage/family. A husband (a climate scientist who is a little aloof) has a fight with his wife and then she goes missing. Told from both his and her point of view. By the middle we are pretty sure where this is headed and the ending is not a surprise. No great epiphanies. Kind of chilling to watch the chain of events unravel and see where one argument and wrong decisionscan lead. Very well done. I'm embarrassed to say that I can't remember if I read her other book, The Birthdays, but I will definitely look into it.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Daylight-M..._bxgy_14_img_y
Yup, I enjoyed The Daylight Marriage too. I wrote about it here:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/39977492-post14976.html

By the way, I started The Birthdays. I don't think that I got through the first chapter. Your mileage may vary, but I thought it was a dud.


ETA and PS: I'm still reading Among the Ten Thousand Things (in its incorrect order -- https://www.city-data.com/forum/40466057-post15452.html -- even though I haven't even gotten to the end of Part 1 yet). I'm not sure why I'm slogging along -- I don't know if it's the book or if it's me. I'm tired. It must be me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top