U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2015, 05:27 PM

3,408 posts, read 7,464,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
"Dove" by Robin Lee Graham (I know, it's been on the active list for a while).

Went through most of it today, taking an easy day at home as I pill pop before they have me loopy under the knife tomorrow.

Not sure which book I'll pick up next today......but I have a lot of biographies and personal quest books lying around.

By the way, don't panic if I'm off line till Monday or so. They don't want me exercising for 48 hours afterwards to keep the BP down......and I think staying off the Net is an excellent way to keep the BP down.

But, after Monday........then you can send out the search planes.
I read Dove growing up and loved it - I especially loved the pictures and still remember being awed about how young the author was when he sailed alone around the world.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2015, 05:59 PM

4,443 posts, read 3,732,618 times
Ok well, finishing up The Life Changing Magic of Tidying up and will start Pioneer Girl and then hope to get Pecan Man and need to look into this Lori Larsen who you are all raving about!!!!

Old 07-23-2015, 06:01 PM

17,330 posts, read 31,418,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
Ok well, finishing up The Life Changing Magic of Tidying up and will start Pioneer Girl and then hope to get Pecan Man and need to look into this Lori Larsen who you are all raving about!!!!
Lori Lansens. The Girls. Yes.

Old 07-23-2015, 06:30 PM

8,854 posts, read 7,778,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly-Kay View Post
Geesh, I go on vacation and have to read everything I missed. You all have been busy as always!

I flew through The Girls and enjoyed it immensely, so much so that I moved onto Rush Home Road. I adored that story, even more than The Girls, which I didn't think was possible. I think Ms. Lansens is a master at characterization and she writes an ending that is so perfect for the story line. It takes a lot to make me cry but I shed a few tears over this one.

Next on my list is The Mountain Story. I was going to buy her other book as well but it didn't get good reviews so I passed on it.

BTW, the weather has been beautiful in OC, NJ this week! I am not minding semi-retirement in the least and hope that the new owner of my business doesn't need me for long!
Doing the happy dance here for you, my friend. What a great way to start your semi-retirement!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Well, crap, I guess that I'll have to try Rush Home Road again. Maybe I tried to read it too soon after reading (and loving) The Pecan Man.
Okay, turn about is good play.

Actually, I wasn't that sold on "The Pecan Man" from the earlier reviews, but this last mention put me over the edge -- and now it, too, is on my TRL.

I just finished listening to "Heart and Soul" by Maeve Binchy. Maeve is one of my "go to" authors when I just want to read about a room full of people with all their foibles and can still love all of them when the story is done. This is another one of those -- made even better because she's intertwined the characters from previous stories into this one, so I also got the experience of seeing "old friends."

I'm still undecided about Marta Perry's "Murder in Plain Sight." I have an intolerance for conversation or behaviors that do not seem in alignment with my view of the character, and the second chapter brought me dangerously close to the edge of that line. It's petty, I know, but I don't see even a junior lawyer in a private law firm not knowing enough to ignore some one who is not her client telling her they've elected not to continue. Granted, she did FINALLY come back with the appropriate response, but her hesitation discredited her in my opinion. Hopefully, it was just a "blip" and the rest of the story is better.

I know, I am being petty. Still, I have my standards and they don't have to be another's.

Old 07-23-2015, 08:59 PM

Moving on to "The Distant Echo" by Val McDermid. Sorry, Amber. I tried to like Marta Perry's work, but I just couldn't.

Old 07-23-2015, 09:53 PM

17,330 posts, read 31,418,445 times
I'm *still* reading Among the Ten Thousand Things (in the *incorrect* order of Part 1, Part 3, and then Parts 2 and 4).

It's taking me a looooong time because I'm soooo busy with work. But also, it felt like a slow read and the writing was a little stiff (first-time author). I'll tell you, though, that somewhere in Part 3, everything got better. The story got more interesting, the pace picked up, even the writing got better. The dialogue got great; very natural, just like you'd speak, cutting off your own sentences to start another thought.

I can't tell what % I'm *really* at, though, because of the reading out of orderness (new word!) (I'm so tired.).

Old 07-24-2015, 06:30 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,458,947 times
I am reading and enjoying a YA Paranormal~ Unbroken (Ruined #2)by Paula Morris [loved the first book]
Welcome back to New Orleans.
Where the streets swirl with jazz and beauty.
Where the houses breathe with ghosts.

A year ago, Rebecca Brown escaped death in a New Orleans cemetery. Now she has returned to this haunting city. She is looking forward to seeing Anton Grey, the boy who may or may not have her heart.

But she also meets a ghost: a troubled boy who insists only she can help him. Soon Rebecca finds herself embroiled in another murder mystery from more than a century ago. But as she tries to right wrongs, she finds more questions than answers: Is she putting her friends, and herself, in danger? Can she trust this new ghost? And has she stumbled into something much bigger and more serious than she understands?

I was also notified today that I have won my second goodreads-first reads book giveaway!
It is a WWII family saga~The Golden Sisters: The Sequel to Martha's Girls by Alrene Hughes, which may take awhile to arrive, but I think I will enjoy this story.

Old 07-24-2015, 06:35 AM

Perhaps I am just not in a reading mood, because I've moved on yet again. This time it's "The Wall" by Marlen Haushofer. This one shows more promise for me. (hoping)

Old 07-24-2015, 07:44 AM

3,871 posts, read 1,762,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post

Now I have started a book that seems promising in the first 20 pages. The problem is that it is loosely based on the Amanda Knox case. I already read another book like this. Is this going to be a whole new genre? But it does seem well-written.

Abroad by Katie Crouch

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/037...f_rd_i=desktop
Scratch that. I never know whether to post about a book I am currently reading (as per the title of this thread) or wait until I have finished it. Wound up skimming the second half. Well written enough, but just about some very self-absorbed young women partying all the time. I wasn't into the Amanda Knox case/trial...and this did nothing to pique my interest.

Old 07-24-2015, 07:46 AM

3,871 posts, read 1,762,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post

I can't tell what % I'm *really* at, though, because of the reading out of orderness (new word!) (I'm so tired.).
Ha! Welcome to my world! I used to be amazed at y'all saying what percent of the book you have read and being so specific---finally realized that the e-readers tell you. And since I just read old-fashioned books, I can only guesstimate 25%, 50, or 75% (I have the 0 and 100 percent pretty down pat!).

Sorry you are so tired.....but it's TGIF, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books