Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2015, 08:20 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times

Advertisements

I finished A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman last night. In my opinion it is one of the best I have read in a long time.

It takes a couple of chapters to really take off but the wait is worth it while the author introduces the back story. It's well edited and well written. I laughed and I cried and loved the characters and the story.

The author is Swedish and I suspect he is a totally cool dude. I giggled at his use of pop culture when describing what Ove was thinking and sometimes saying out loud. It's not an overload, though. Just really fun. This book is a gem.

From this day forward I will always break into a smile when I see a Saab on the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2015, 08:35 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I finished A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman last night. In my opinion it is one of the best I have read in a long time.

It takes a couple of chapters to really take off but the wait is worth it while the author introduces the back story. It's well edited and well written. I laughed and I cried and loved the characters and the story.

The author is Swedish and I suspect he is a totally cool dude. I giggled at his use of pop culture when describing what Ove was thinking and sometimes saying out loud. It's not an overload, though. Just really fun. This book is a gem.

From this day forward I will always break into a smile when I see a Saab on the road.
I am on chapter 9 of Ove and I was seriously thinking at first it wasn't going to be for me. Then it just hit a spot and I was sucked in. I also picked up Rush Home Road from the library yesterday. I have 3 more that I am first on the list for so hopefully I can get through at least Ove if not both before the next one is mine (although I'm not optimistic).

Old 07-24-2015, 12:38 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
LFM, I hope you enjoy that book as much as I did. It's one that will stay with me forever.
Yes, K', "The Wall" is already invading my thoughts outside the book. I've already started to mourn the fact that the author lived such a short life, because I would like to read more from her.

Quote:
I finished A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman last night. In my opinion it is one of the best I have read in a long time. ... From this day forward I will always break into a smile when I see a Saab on the road.
I know, right? I can so see DH having that conversation with his dad (Ford v Chevy)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
I am on chapter 9 of Ove and I was seriously thinking at first it wasn't going to be for me. Then it just hit a spot and I was sucked in. I also picked up Rush Home Road from the library yesterday. I have 3 more that I am first on the list for so hopefully I can get through at least Ove if not both before the next one is mine (although I'm not optimistic).
Yes, I think the first chapter or so I wasn't really "getting" Ove's motivation, but then when the neighbors arrived things started "clicking" for me.

I've taken a break from sewing and listening to "Meet Me at Emotional Baggage Claim" by Lisa Scottoline and her daughter, Francesca Serritella. It's my first Scottoline work and it happens to be read by the authors, about mother daughter relationships. They seem to be a "riot" and I am so glad I am listening to this one. I wish my mom was alive so I could share it with her.

Old 07-24-2015, 01:39 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post

Yes, I think the first chapter or so I wasn't really "getting" Ove's motivation, but then when the neighbors arrived things started "clicking" for me.
Yes!! Exactly!

Old 07-24-2015, 06:38 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
I finished Among the Ten Thousand Things and I really, really liked it. If you read it, you really, really have to read it in its incorrect order. It must be read as follows: Part 1, Part 3, and then Parts 2 and 4. If you read Part 2 before Part 3 (as it's written), Part 3 serves no purpose. Read out of order, Part 3 is where the suspense is. The question of Part 3 is already answered in Part 2. I'm so glad that I read that review that *insisted* it be read this way.

As I mentioned earlier, the writing was a bit stilted in Part 1 but, once you got into Part 3, the book came alive. Her writing is contemporary and clever and it sweeps you along.

I don't know what I'll read next. I'm really tired. (Again.) (Still.)

Old 07-24-2015, 08:53 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,012,572 times
just finished Empty Mansions the mysterious life of Huguette Clark and the spending of an American fortune.

fascinating, the amounts of money she spent literally staggering. she lived into her 100's

Old 07-24-2015, 09:50 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I finished Among the Ten Thousand Things and I really, really liked it. If you read it, you really, really have to read it in its incorrect order. It must be read as follows: Part 1, Part 3, and then Parts 2 and 4. If you read Part 2 before Part 3 (as it's written), Part 3 serves no purpose. Read out of order, Part 3 is where the suspense is. The question of Part 3 is already answered in Part 2. I'm so glad that I read that review that *insisted* it be read this way.

As I mentioned earlier, the writing was a bit stilted in Part 1 but, once you got into Part 3, the book came alive. Her writing is contemporary and clever and it sweeps you along.

I had that book on my wish list before you mentioned it but that sounds more complicated than it is worth. I hadn't read the reviews when I put it on my wish list. I'll have to read them as well before I decide. (It was really worth reading a book that way?!)

Old 07-25-2015, 12:26 AM

3,943 posts, read 6,372,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
Rush Home is so good. I hope you're enjoying it.

Old 07-25-2015, 12:34 AM

3,943 posts, read 6,372,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post

What? Heck, I'm tired just reading about it!

Old 07-25-2015, 06:06 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,844,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
just finished Empty Mansions the mysterious life of Huguette Clark and the spending of an American fortune.

fascinating, the amounts of money she spent literally staggering. she lived into her 100's
This one is on my TBR list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books