Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-25-2015, 06:31 AM
 
4,724 posts, read 4,415,751 times
Reputation: 8481

Advertisements

Just added Empty Mansions to my library hold list.)

(Tried to add THE WALL but they seem to only have it as a movie??)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-25-2015, 07:11 AM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Reputation: 28903
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I had that book on my wish list before you mentioned it but that sounds more complicated than it is worth. I hadn't read the reviews when I put it on my wish list. I'll have to read them as well before I decide. (It was really worth reading a book that way?!)
It was just a couple of clicks on the Kindle to get to the right (wrong) section, so no biggie. I enjoyed it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
What? Heck, I'm tired just reading about it!
Hahaha!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2015, 10:31 AM
 
Location: Windham County, VT
10,855 posts, read 6,368,233 times
Reputation: 22048
Finished “Chasing the Scream: The First and Last Days of the War on Drugs” by Johann Hari (2015) a couple days ago.
It was excellent...though of course I have an opinion on these issues, and don't wish to tangent by getting into controversy/debate.

It begins with life in the U.S. just before Harry Anslinger set in motion the laws now referred to as The Drug War,
and concludes with exploration of the different approaches taken in Colorado and Washington state to decriminalize marijuana.
Along the way, the author visits & interviews people in Mexico and inner-cities of the U.S., where gang violence has rent the fabric of society,
as well as Vancouver B.C., Portugal, and Switzerland where harm-reduction efforts have done measurable good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by book excerpt
“Where a law is that widely broken, you can’t possibly enforce it against every lawbreaker. The legal system would collapse under the weight of it. So you go after the people who are least able to resist, to argue back, to appeal-the poorest and most disliked groups.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by book excerpt
“Human beings need to bond. It is one of our most primal urges. So if we can’t bond with other people, we will find a behavior to bond with, whether it’s watching pornography or smoking crack or gambling.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by book excerpt
“Mason [Tvert, in Colorado] wanted to focus on undoing Harry’s claims about the effects marijuana has on its users. Tonia [Winchester, in Washington state] wanted to focus on undoing Harry’s claims about the benefits of prohibition.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2015, 10:36 AM
 
Location: Texas Hill Country
23,656 posts, read 13,969,723 times
Reputation: 18856
Fleetwood by Mic Fleetwood.

The first 4 pages, ehhh, the next 16 pages, better, and now I'm half way through the book in one day. I finally had to put it down to go to sleep.

I wouldn't say it is that fascinating; he talks about a lot of people I don't know about.....but I'm sure they are famous.

It's probably because I am tuned to reading biographies especially about entertainers. I was thinking originally of reading this book and then getting rid of it to reduce my footprint, but I'm thinking with the growing list of people I've read about (Lords, "Penny Flame", Keaton, Locke, etc), maybe I'll just have that section in my library....with all the other sections.

Of course, being at home, recovering gives lots of room for reading, too!

I'm okay, it wasn't has bad as I took it to be. It was dental surgery and I spent most of the time out of it. I am slightly frantic in that I can't have any coffee, more about that than not having any wine, and even then, I have to watch what I am drinking because milk interferes with some of the meds I am now on. I did break away from my ice cream and yogurt last night to make a canned salmon-bean stew so to be creative about something......though couldn't use half my spices such as the cayenne. SIGH!

Thank you all for all the well wishes.

While operational and perhaps even a little bit bored, I am leaning over to the side of taking it easy, relaxing while I can. So after I get done checking my Net, my mail, it will probably be back to my diary and Fleetwood.

After that, well maybe an Ed McBain mystery (seem to have a ton of those things around) or a Maj Sjowall/Per Wahloo one; I liked those as a teen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2015, 10:46 AM
 
9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Reputation: 14770
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
just finished Empty Mansions the mysterious life of Huguette Clark and the spending of an American fortune.

fascinating, the amounts of money she spent literally staggering. she lived into her 100's
I read this in the Spring of 2014 and recall how sad it made me to think that she had all that money and spent it all on making small dioramas and as far as I could tell they no longer exist. Such a waste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
(It was really worth reading a book that way?!)
I had the same question. In fact, while it might improve the reading, it seems to me that as a work of art it really "should" be experienced as the artist presents it -- but then I remember that I don't do shoulds anymore!

Awhile ago I read "Boys from Brazil" after seeing another's post, and was left fairly disappointed. Then, at K's suggestion I watched the movie and was even less moved. Still, it was worthwhile because I just watched "I Have Never Forgotten You" -- a documentary about the life's work of Holocaust survivor Mr. Simon Wiesenthal. Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8pW6dr_Fy4

I was so moved by it that I've reserved his earliest work that our library possesses: "The Murderers Among Us," and placed their other works by him on my TRL. What a great man.

Back to my listening experience with "Meet Me at Emotional Baggage Claim" by Lisa Scottoline and her daughter, Francesca: it turns out to be a collection of vignettes written mostly by Lisa, and though I have only listened to the first of five parts I am already growing weary of it. I think I will have to set it aside for something else, TBD.

Meanwhile, "The Wall" is still good -- still haunting. I keep visualizing myself in the protagonist's situation, suddenly isolated from all other life by an invisible wall and am engulfed by the magnitude of the symbolism of the story. I find myself reading several pages and then just setting it aside to dwell on the reality of our perceived separateness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2015, 10:58 AM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Reputation: 28903
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I had the same question. In fact, while it might improve the reading, it seems to me that as a work of art it really "should" be experienced as the artist presents it -- but then I remember that I don't do shoulds anymore!
I agree with you -- art (and food) should be experienced the way the artist (and chef) presents it, rather than changing its presentation (or salting it) before trying it in its original form first.

But.

BUT!

I couldn't try it the writer's way first and then re-read it the other way. I'd know what happens at "the end" (which the writer presented in the middle).

Also.

ALSO!

The review that I read "telling me" to read it out of order was in ALL CAPS! ALL CAPS means that it's an order and that it's true.

Seriously, though, I was hesitant but, as per that review, it made sense to read it out of order and I like when things make sense. So I threw caution to the wind and read if out of order. And that reviewer was 100% correct. Not just because the story made sense this way but the flow of the writing -- the way she wrote the "last" two parts (Parts 2 and 4) were bang-bang-bang-bang in short sentences of sharp flashes. That, for me, would only work at the "true" end of the story.

PS. I'm happy that you don't do "shoulds" anymore. I'm learning to be like that too. Shoulda, woulda, coulda...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2015, 11:05 AM
 
Location: Texas
15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Reputation: 62766
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Fleetwood by Mic Fleetwood.

The first 4 pages, ehhh, the next 16 pages, better, and now I'm half way through the book in one day. I finally had to put it down to go to sleep.

I wouldn't say it is that fascinating; he talks about a lot of people I don't know about.....but I'm sure they are famous.

It's probably because I am tuned to reading biographies especially about entertainers. I was thinking originally of reading this book and then getting rid of it to reduce my footprint, but I'm thinking with the growing list of people I've read about (Lords, "Penny Flame", Keaton, Locke, etc), maybe I'll just have that section in my library....with all the other sections.

Of course, being at home, recovering gives lots of room for reading, too!

I'm okay, it wasn't has bad as I took it to be. It was dental surgery and I spent most of the time out of it. I am slightly frantic in that I can't have any coffee, more about that than not having any wine, and even then, I have to watch what I am drinking because milk interferes with some of the meds I am now on. I did break away from my ice cream and yogurt last night to make a canned salmon-bean stew so to be creative about something......though couldn't use half my spices such as the cayenne. SIGH!

Thank you all for all the well wishes.

While operational and perhaps even a little bit bored, I am leaning over to the side of taking it easy, relaxing while I can. So after I get done checking my Net, my mail, it will probably be back to my diary and Fleetwood.

After that, well maybe an Ed McBain mystery (seem to have a ton of those things around) or a Maj Sjowall/Per Wahloo one; I liked those as a teen.
I'm glad the surgery went well, TS.

If you like entertainment biographies you might enjoy these:

Just Kids by Patti Smith. It's wonderful and several of us in this forum loved it.

Wonderful Tonight by Pattie Boyd. I read this one because of the George Harrison tie-in. I've always been a George Harrison fan. It's a free kindle download today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2015, 05:38 PM
 
4,724 posts, read 4,415,751 times
Reputation: 8481
[quote=LookinForMayberry;40556120]I\

Awhile ago I read "Boys from Brazil" after seeing another's post, and was left fairly disappointed. Then, at K's suggestion I watched the movie and was even less moved. Still, it was worthwhile because I just watched "I Have Never Forgotten You" -- a documentary about the life's work of Holocaust survivor Mr. Simon Wiesenthal. Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8pW6dr_Fy4

I was so moved by it that I've reserved his earliest work that our library possesses: "The Murderers Among Us," and placed their other works by him on my TRL. What a great man.

Mayberry--- I am one who read Boys from Brazil back when it was published and thought it was amazing. Obviously it didn't travel well with time.
Regarding Simon Wiesenthal, he also wrote a book called Sails of Hope which I read MANY years ago (like 30? 40?) and it was quite intriguing. I have tried to locate it again and have not found it. I highly recommend it- I wonder if you were able to find this when you mentioned other works by him............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2015, 08:40 PM
 
Location: Texas
15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Reputation: 62766
[quote=Mayvenne;40559908]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I\

Awhile ago I read "Boys from Brazil" after seeing another's post, and was left fairly disappointed. Then, at K's suggestion I watched the movie and was even less moved. Still, it was worthwhile because I just watched "I Have Never Forgotten You" -- a documentary about the life's work of Holocaust survivor Mr. Simon Wiesenthal. Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8pW6dr_Fy4

I was so moved by it that I've reserved his earliest work that our library possesses: "The Murderers Among Us," and placed their other works by him on my TRL. What a great man.

Mayberry--- I am one who read Boys from Brazil back when it was published and thought it was amazing. Obviously it didn't travel well with time.
Regarding Simon Wiesenthal, he also wrote a book called Sails of Hope which I read MANY years ago (like 30? 40?) and it was quite intriguing. I have tried to locate it again and have not found it. I highly recommend it- I wonder if you were able to find this when you mentioned other works by him............
Along those same lines, Mayvenne, I recommend The House on Garibaldi Street by Isser Harel. Nonfiction. Wiesenthal had pretty much located Adolph Eichmann in South America but he was out of money and he was unable to get the Israelis interested. Simon packed up all his records and sent them to Isser Harel (head of the Mossad) and Harel took the info and ran with it. This is the story of how the Israelis found Eichmann (may he eternally burn in hell ), captured him and sneaked him out of Argentina on an El Al plane. It is really exciting and even though we all know he was tried and hung in Israel it is still an exceptional book. I've been a fan of Harel for decades. I truly believe he was the best and most successful heads of the Mossad. He writes well, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2015, 09:06 PM
 
9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Reputation: 14770
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
But. ... BUT! .... Also. ALSO!...
You are a gift and you coulda not been any more wonderful that you already are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
Regarding Simon Wiesenthal, he also wrote a book called Sails of Hope which I read MANY years ago (like 30? 40?) and it was quite intriguing. I have tried to locate it again and have not found it. I highly recommend it- I wonder if you were able to find this when you mentioned other works by him............
Yes. YES. YES!!! (That was for Dawn. ) In fact it IS one that I've put on my TRL. Thanks for suggesting it, I will read it after his first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Along those same lines, Mayvenne, I recommend The House on Garibaldi Street by Isser Harel. Nonfiction. Wiesenthal had pretty much located Adolph Eichmann in South America but he was out of money and he was unable to get the Israelis interested. Simon packed up all his records and sent them to Isser Harel (head of the Mossad) and Harel took the info and ran with it. This is the story of how the Israelis found Eichmann (may he eternally burn in hell ), captured him and sneaked him out of Argentina on an El Al plane. It is really exciting and even though we all know he was tried and hung in Israel it is still an exceptional book. I've been a fan of Harel for decades. I truly believe he was the best and most successful heads of the Mossad. He writes well, too.
This was also covered in the documentary. It was truly a GREAT documentary. If you have Netflix it is offered there.
There were also a couple of Nazis that he scared to death -- saving the need to try them for their crimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top