Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2015, 08:38 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,200 times

Advertisements

I finally finished The Girls - I've been traveling a lot for work right now (in the car much more than I want to be) so haven't had as much time to read. I liked it a lot though can't say that I was head over heals about it. It might be that the wave of enthusiasm passed because it took me so long to finish - not sure. There were so many characters that I really enjoyed!

A total opposite experience was that I listened to John Grisham's Skipping Christmas while traveling for work. There was not a single character in that book that I liked - not one! What a stupid story. I get the whole "skipping the hoopla of Christmas" part, but these were people who went to Church enough to be social friends with the priest and yet their skipping Christmas included skipping any religious observance as well. I would have been better off listening to my own boring thoughts and radio static!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2015, 09:12 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
A total opposite experience was that I listened to John Grisham's Skipping Christmas while traveling for work. ... I would have been better off listening to my own boring thoughts and radio static!
I understand. I've been disappointed by the last two attempted Grisham works, and I am frequently very amused by my own thoughts. There was even a time in my early life that static was amusing! Then again, that was the 70s.

Old 07-26-2015, 12:48 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,969,723 times
Ed McBain, "Lightning", started that last night after Fleetwood, finished it in about 3 hours (fiction with lots of short dialogue). It was a "Friends of the Library" sale hardback and hardbacks are easier to read in bed. Curious thing that maybe this wasn't such the perfect book to read, about psychopaths running around killing and raping, when one has to sleep downstairs as they recover.

Funny thing about Dove and Fleetwood. It wasn't intended but with the first, here was a book about someone who went around the world and found out that one didn't need to be so material to be happy and with the second, here was one who went around the world and really spent a heck of a lot of money. The other thing was that as I laid in bed with one cat, reading my books, I felt very Bohemian, very hippy, looking up at another cat on the railing edge of the staircase, thinking I ought to have my camera and be snapping pictures.

As far as McBain goes, yes, probably somewhere in the past, I saw that he was associated with the movie "Fuzz". Yes, I knew they did TV movies of his books in the 90's; somewhere in the library, there is one of the book, or at least part of the book, that I just read........and looking at what IMDB says about it, glad I never got around to watching it.

Still, it is interesting coming across a book where "you already know the people"......even if they aren't the galloping lunatics they were in the 70's flick.

Curious though, as I pictured those in the book, I was seeing more the actors I've been seeing as detectives in 60's and 70's Spanish films, such as "Verano ardiente" and less those from US flicks.........except for Raquel Welch.

Old 07-26-2015, 02:01 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,348,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post

A total opposite experience was that I listened to John Grisham's Skipping Christmas while traveling for work. There was not a single character in that book that I liked - not one! What a stupid story. I get the whole "skipping the hoopla of Christmas" part, but these were people who went to Church enough to be social friends with the priest and yet their skipping Christmas included skipping any religious observance as well. I would have been better off listening to my own boring thoughts and radio static!
I remember being disappointed with this one as well. I've enjoyed pretty much all the Grisham books I have read (which is not nearly all of them) so I was sorely disappointed with this attempt at whatever it was an attempt at. I can't recall if I've read anything by him since this one.

I'm still reading Ove and have a hard copy of Rush Home Road and eBook version of The Martian waiting for me.

Old 07-26-2015, 03:39 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,016,638 times
I'm reading -- I'm on page 67 (yes, paper! from the library!) -- We Are Called to Rise by Laura McBride. This is her first novel and I'm not sure that I like the way she writes. Also, the story hasn't gelled yet and I'm curious about the "real-life event" that's going to bring these people together. Despite all that, I'll carry on...

Old 07-26-2015, 05:15 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,016,638 times
^^ Hmmm. Page 93 now. I think that the "real-life event" might be the Iraqi war that she's been talking about since the beginning and in which they're all tangentially involved.

Old 07-26-2015, 07:29 PM

496 posts, read 395,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Well, crap, I guess that I'll have to try Rush Home Road again. Maybe I tried to read it too soon after reading (and loving) The Pecan Man.
I hope you read RushHome Road. I fell in love with Addy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
Ok well, finishing up The Life Changing Magic of Tidying up and will start Pioneer Girl and then hope to get Pecan Man and need to look into this Lori Larsen who you are all raving about!!!!
I hope you enjoy Ms. Lansens' writing as much as I did. She is a master at the "perfect ending".
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Doing the happy dance here for you, my friend. What a great way to start your semi-retirement!

Okay, turn about is good play.

Actually, I wasn't that sold on "The Pecan Man" from the earlier reviews, but this last mention put me over the edge -- and now it, too, is on my TRL.

I just finished listening to "Heart and Soul" by Maeve Binchy. Maeve is one of my "go to" authors when I just want to read about a room full of people with all their foibles and can still love all of them when the story is done. This is another one of those -- made even better because she's intertwined the characters from previous stories into this one, so I also got the experience of seeing "old friends."

I'm still undecided about Marta Perry's "Murder in Plain Sight." I have an intolerance for conversation or behaviors that do not seem in alignment with my view of the character, and the second chapter brought me dangerously close to the edge of that line. It's petty, I know, but I don't see even a junior lawyer in a private law firm not knowing enough to ignore some one who is not her client telling her they've elected not to continue. Granted, she did FINALLY come back with the appropriate response, but her hesitation discredited her in my opinion. Hopefully, it was just a "blip" and the rest of the story is better.

I know, I am being petty. Still, I have my standards and they don't have to be another's.
Thank you for your well wishes LFM. I am so glad I don't have to be at the shop tomorrow. I wrenched my back and am moving gingerly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I finished A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman last night. In my opinion it is one of the best I have read in a long time.

It takes a couple of chapters to really take off but the wait is worth it while the author introduces the back story. It's well edited and well written. I laughed and I cried and loved the characters and the story.

The author is Swedish and I suspect he is a totally cool dude. I giggled at his use of pop culture when describing what Ove was thinking and sometimes saying out loud. It's not an overload, though. Just really fun. This book is a gem.

From this day forward I will always break into a smile when I see a Saab on the road.
I loved A Man Called Ove. He was quite the character and I can relate to the car part. My DH restores cars and has a collection of Studebakers.

Old 07-26-2015, 07:40 PM

496 posts, read 395,364 times
Dawn, I finished The Mountain Story yesterday and enjoyed it. Another ending home run for Lori Lansens. I am so glad that you recommended her.

I started reading Founding Mothers by Cokie Roberts. A fascinating look into the lives of the women who were often the decision makers and helped to move the revolution forward. I love history and particularly the American Revolution and am enthralled with the part these brave women played in our independence. Hooray for the ladies!!!!

Old 07-26-2015, 07:47 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,969,723 times
"Tower of Secrets" http://www.amazon.com/Tower-Secrets-.../dp/1557507643

This one is longer, tighter print. I may not be done with it till tomorrow or Wednesday.

Another "Friends of the Library" book sale book, picked off the top of a stack of them.

Old 07-26-2015, 08:04 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,236,230 times
Rainbow Six by Tom Clancy

I absolutely love the video games so have to try the book out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books