Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2015, 09:46 AM

496 posts, read 395,417 times

Advertisements

I'm still reading Founding Mothers but I also just purchased Younger because of the recommendations here. I will start it tonight and read Founding Mothers in bits and pieces.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 03:23 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,758,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber18 View Post
Rainbow Six by Tom Clancy
^^^ This is one of my favorite Tom Clancy books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
I am now in the middle of Crocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth Peters.
Amelia Peabody Emerson is one of my favorite fictional characters. I've read all of the books featuring her as well as most of the others Elizabeth Peters wrote.

Old 07-28-2015, 07:41 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Started listening to "Divergent" by Veronica Roth, the first in this new authors trilogy. It's an interesting view of distopia -- not a genre I normally read, still not certain that I will finish it.

I did decide to leave Lisa Scottoline's "Meet Me at Emotional Baggage Claim" unfinished. I am hoping her fictional work is better.

Old 07-28-2015, 09:01 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
I gave up on The Darkness by W.J. Lundy because it is too slow.
I also gave up on Officer of the Watch by D W McAliley for the same reason.

Now I am about 20% into One Step Too Far by Tina Seskis. I won't give up on this one because it is well written and an interesting story although I suspect it is a psychological thriller....or, maybe not.

Last edited by Ketabcha; 07-28-2015 at 09:12 PM..

Old 07-28-2015, 11:35 PM

2,209 posts, read 4,223,519 times
Elephant's Journey by Saramago, had to finally stop pushing myself to finish it. The story was completely boring with a lot of fluff writing.

Autobiography of Mark Twain, what a hoot.

Robert Hughes' Nothing If Not Critical, gems for artists.

I just rediscovered the lost art form (to me) of essays. I've been immersing myself with different writers and different forms of essays, I much prefer essays on criticism.

Orwell's Politics and the English Laguage
Emmerson's Self-Reliance
JJ Sullivan's Mr. Lytle, an Essay
Vonnegut's Here Is a Lesson in Creative Writing

Old 07-29-2015, 05:13 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
I read very little of Bradstreet Gate but I knew, right from the prologue, that I was going to give up on it quickly. It's really a whodunnit, which ain't my thang. So, yeah... no. I'll find something else to read tonight.

Old 07-29-2015, 05:54 PM

8,665 posts, read 5,844,099 times
East in Eden by Izabela Shopova About halfway now,,and starting to not like the narator as it seems all she does is complain about everything,the weather[rain,rain, rain according to her],the birdsong, the bugs, It's beginning to sound like a place that no one in their right mind would want to visit!!!! Killing my desire for New Zealand!

Today, I got the second book I've won in a goodreads giveaway~The Golden Sisters by Alrene Hughes, a WWII family saga, that I will probably start reading next.

Old 07-29-2015, 07:44 PM

4,046 posts, read 2,130,139 times
You guys are making me feel better about my not getting through a lot of books!

I am reading Dietland:

http://www.amazon.com/Dietland-Sarai...words=dietland

I know---the name, subject, and cover art make it look like chicklit. It's not. A little odd, but in a good way. Intriguing. It's about a young 300 pound woman who wants to be thinner and is planning on having gastric bypass surgery. She gets involved with the daughter of the deceased founder of a weight loss program that Plum was on as a teen. This daughter is very much against the female obsession to be stick thin and all that they will do to get there (even though she profited from her mother's money from the weight loss program) and she wants to convince Plum to think twice about not accepting herself as is/becoming a different person.

Old 07-29-2015, 08:55 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
I just finished reading "The Wall" by Marlen Haushofer, as translated by Shaun Whiteside. It was originally published in '62 and is considered her best work. I gave it all five stars in my review.

That said, it was not an easy read. In the afterward, Julian Roman Polsler (Director of the film adaptation) says: "'The Wall' is a novel that author and psychiatrist Paulus Hochgatterer has described as the precise embodiment of clinical depression. No amount of perseverance, dedication, or poring over the author's life and work could have allowed me -- or anyone else, for that matter -- to capture the same kind of deeply personal despair in a different medium. That Haushofer conveyed it so brilliantly in this, her 'magnum opus,' is an achievement for the ages."

I just wish I'd selected some lighter reads to follow this up with because right now I feel as though the fate of the human race is dependent on my endeavoring to persevere.

Do I? NO. I just picked up four from my library reserves:

"Bellman & Black" By Diane Setterfield
"In Paradise" By Peter Matthiessen
"The Murderers Among Us" by Simon Wiesenthal
"Night Train to Lisbon" by Pascal Mercier

WHAT was I thinking?!

Old 07-30-2015, 05:37 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
I finished a few more books.

If I Could Turn Back Time. It has been done before and done better. I hated the "audio" as the volume kept changing so much that all I did was turn the dial up and down.

The Uncommon Reader.
What a fun little book. The ending was great.

Between Shades Of Gray which I thought was very good.
This was a very good YA book showing more horrors from WWII. This one is how the Kremlin made lists of people who were considered anti soviet. They were either murdered, sent to prison, or sent to work camps in Siberia. The people who survived were in Siberia anywhere from 10-15 years under horrific conditions. When they were sent back to there homes they were treated as criminals and made to live in restricted areas. They were never to speak of the things that happened to them for fear of imprisonment or being sent back to Siberia. Sadly many Russians today deny this ever happened.

The book tells us about a girl named Lina and how her and her family end up in Siberia. Being taken from their homes and thrown onto cattle carts for the long journey to Siberia. It is about people coming together to help each other in the toughest of times. The hope that they shared just to stay alive. Excellent story that should be better known.

Today I will be starting The Locket by Richard Paul Evans which looks promising.
"After the death of his mother, Michael Keddington finds employment at the Arcadia nursing home where he befriends Esther, a reclusive but beautiful elderly woman who lives in mourning for her youth and lost love.
Michael faces his own challenges when he loses his greatest love, Faye. When Michael is falsely accused of abusing one of the Arcadia's residents, he learns important lessons about faith and forgiveness from Ester -- and her gift to him of a locket, once symbolic of one person's missed opportuninites, becomes another's second chance."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books