Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2015, 09:03 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times

Advertisements

I just started Single Jewish Male Seeking Soul Mate by Letty Cottin Pogrebin. It sounds like it would be chick-lit/silly (neither of which is appealing to me), but the first few pages are quite serious, about the brother he never knew he had (who died in Poland during the war) and how his parents -- doctors in Poland -- can't be doctors in the U.S.

If it gets stupid, I'll give up but so far it's not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 10:50 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,316,797 times
I am reading two books. I had started The Wall a while back and it wasn't the right book for me at the time. And now I am reading it again, but I got sidetracked by The Lives of the Twelve Caesars. It's like listening to really interesting political gossip. I read it a long time ago and I had forgotten how interesting it is.

We've had an odd summer in that we have been getting two or more inches of rain at a time when we're usually dry and lucky to get a quarter of an inch here and there. The point being that the grass is growing like there is no tomorrow. I couldn't keep up on my old riding mower and I got a brand, spanking new Husqvarna mower a while back and I've been meaning to see if I can mow and read my Kindle at the same time. This might be the day.

Old 07-30-2015, 01:48 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,236,230 times
Im reading the second graphic novel in the new Tomb Raider series

Old 07-30-2015, 02:14 PM

12,192 posts, read 2,960,983 times
Okay, maybe this is dull. I'm reading a book of American poets, Longfellow, Frost, etc. Is it only me who does that kind of thing? lol

Old 07-30-2015, 03:31 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,315,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PegE View Post
Okay, maybe this is dull. I'm reading a book of American poets, Longfellow, Frost, etc. Is it only me who does that kind of thing? lol
You are not alone.

Old 07-30-2015, 05:03 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I just started Single Jewish Male Seeking Soul Mate by Letty Cottin Pogrebin. It sounds like it would be chick-lit/silly (neither of which is appealing to me), but the first few pages are quite serious, about the brother he never knew he had (who died in Poland during the war) and how his parents -- doctors in Poland -- can't be doctors in the U.S.

If it gets stupid, I'll give up but so far it's not.
It's not stupid. It's just boring. I'm throwing in the towel.

Old 07-30-2015, 05:22 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,947,837 times
I just finished The Call of the Wild and have started The Swiss Family Robinson. These are books I should have read when I was in school and just getting around to them now. I suppose I'm a late bloomer.

If only Charlie Carillo would write a new book. <sigh>

Old 07-31-2015, 06:17 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PegE View Post
Is it of their poems, or of their lives? I read both. If I find a writer whose works I really like, I want to know more about that persons life, whether they be poets or authors. It intrigues me to know what happened in their lives, who were/are they that produced such work. You are so not alone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
It's not stupid. It's just boring. I'm throwing in the towel.
Sometimes I have to wonder -- are publishers so needing works that they don't even read them? Sorry you found another, but at least you knew enough to let it go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
If only Charlie Carillo would write a new book. <sigh>
I've never heard of this author, so of course I had to look him up. Now I have not just one book to add to my TRL, but several!

I decided to start with "In Paradise" by Peter Matthiessen and though I am less than 25 pages into it (10%), I am fairly certain that I am going to see it through, even as potentially dark as it may be. It opens with a mystery man who goes to Poland from the "New World" and arrives in a city to find he's just missed his train and by chance meets a young couple of lovers who want to show him around the city that he was born in.

It is sprinkled with various tidbits of history of Poland and its unpronounceable cities and villages, all centered around WWII.

Meanwhile, my listening to "Divergeant" rolls along as Beatrice, now "Trice" faces her initiation trials into her chosen faction, and finds greater challenges to her bravery than those that pose physical threats.

As "divergent" as the two stories are in appearance, it is interesting to me to see underlying similarities between the two, when one considers the human condition the people faced in the past ("In Patience") and in future. It makes me truly wonder if people can ever truly evolve.

Old 07-31-2015, 08:50 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,315,804 times
One Step Too Far by Tina Seskis

Do not trust this author. She is tricky.

I totally enjoyed the book. There are several unexpected twists and turns and the story is mesmerizing.

I highly recommend it.

Old 07-31-2015, 09:53 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
One Step Too Far by Tina Seskis

Do not trust this author. She is tricky.

I totally enjoyed the book. There are several unexpected twists and turns and the story is mesmerizing.

I highly recommend it.
Well this one just went on my TBR list as is Charlie Carillo as his books sound like they might be fun reads.

I gave up on The Martian. I really tried to enjoy it. I read about 18% and then started skimming through Mark's stuff and reading the other chapters. Got to about 30% before I said "I can't take it anymore!" so I returned it to the library. I'll probably watch the movie at some point but I just could not enjoy the book. I think it was just too much "math and science" for me which is hard for me to "visualize". Sigh.

I'm now reading The Good Girl by Mary Kubica which is from the library and came up for me just a few days ago. Someone mentioned it here I think but it came up in one of my "people who bought this also about this..." things or a "suggestions for you..." thing so I finally added to TBR list. I'm only 2 chapters in so hard to say yet. I also still have Rush Home Road to read and My Sunshine Away too, both from the library book also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books