Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2015, 10:08 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I wasn't either. I liked the idea of a Judy Blume book much more than I liked the Judy Blume book.
Well said. I read a review of that book in some newspaper and decided to pass but I was tempted to read it for the sake of, Are You There, God, It's Me, Margaret.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2015, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
Well this one just went on my TBR list as is Charlie Carillo as his books sound like they might be fun reads.

I gave up on The Martian. I really tried to enjoy it. I read about 18% and then started skimming through Mark's stuff and reading the other chapters. Got to about 30% before I said "I can't take it anymore!" so I returned it to the library. I'll probably watch the movie at some point but I just could not enjoy the book. I think it was just too much "math and science" for me which is hard for me to "visualize". Sigh.

I'm now reading The Good Girl by Mary Kubica which is from the library and came up for me just a few days ago. Someone mentioned it here I think but it came up in one of my "people who bought this also about this..." things or a "suggestions for you..." thing so I finally added to TBR list. I'm only 2 chapters in so hard to say yet. I also still have Rush Home Road to read and My Sunshine Away too, both from the library book also.
It took me three tries before The Martian grabbed me and after that, I thought it was fantastic.

Old 08-01-2015, 10:14 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,977,863 times

Old 08-02-2015, 04:41 AM

4,046 posts, read 2,130,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I wasn't either. I liked the idea of a Judy Blume book much more than I liked the Judy Blume book.
Ditto! I couldn't put my finger on why I only got through about 50 pages. Too many characters, all of whom seemed flat to me. It's not that the writing was bad. It just seemed dull. I admit I didn't even get to the part with the first plane wreck---don't know if that would have brought some life into the book (which would have been ironic since it would be death bringing life!).

Thanks so much for posting this. I was afraid that maybe I lost my inner young adult since I didn't like a book by THE YA writer of all time. And critics loved it. But I do think the book just wasn't all that...

Old 08-02-2015, 08:48 AM

983 posts, read 994,713 times
After three years, I finally finished "Undaunted Courage" the story of the Lewis and Clark Expedition. It took me longer to read the book than it took Lewis and Clark to reach the Pacific.

Well all know the story, but this contains details, so if you dont' want to be spoiled...

The beginning is slow because there's so much detail on who is Meriwether Lewis, William Clark, Thomas Jefferson. The preparations, how much of this and that to take, getting Lewis educated on basic medicine, plants, astronomical navigation and charting.

When they're underway, the book is fascinating. When you think it was 1802, all of the things that could go wrong. Only one man died on the entire trip back and forth, of appendicitis. Lewis almost fell off of a cliff once, and got shot in the a@@ on the return trip. When they got to Fort Clatsop near present day Astoria, Oregon, they arrived at the start of a Northwest winter. They hated it! They didn't like elk either, they preferred their buffalo meat. The constant rain nearly drove them crazy, Lewis couldn't wait to leave. I sat there thinking, "I don't blame you boys one bit."

The end is very sad. After acheiving a super human feat at the time, discovering and mapping the continent west of the Mississippi, it seemed Meriwether Lewis didn't have anything to live for. He delayed getting the journals of the trip published, he got into trouble with the government over drafts he wrote, (Jefferson left office by then), he got into deep debt, alcoholism, depression, and drugs. He wore so many hats, leader of the Corps of Discovery, celestial navigator, botonist, naturalist, journalist, field doctor, ambassador to the Indian tribes, and then it was all gone.

Meriwether Lewis commited suicide at 35 years of age.

Old 08-02-2015, 04:11 PM

8,665 posts, read 5,844,099 times
Undaunted Courage is on my TBR list, but it took you 3 years to get through, it!

I hope it won't take me that long. It sounds fascinating, but that is so sad about Meriwether Lewis.

Old 08-02-2015, 04:31 PM

983 posts, read 994,713 times
I kept putting the book aside for months at a time. I probably read it in thirds, preparing for the expedition, the expidition itself, and after they got home.

Old 08-02-2015, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Ditto! I couldn't put my finger on why I only got through about 50 pages. Too many characters, all of whom seemed flat to me. It's not that the writing was bad. It just seemed dull. I admit I didn't even get to the part with the first plane wreck---don't know if that would have brought some life into the book (which would have been ironic since it would be death bringing life!).

Thanks so much for posting this. I was afraid that maybe I lost my inner young adult since I didn't like a book by THE YA writer of all time. And critics loved it. But I do think the book just wasn't all that...
Humm. That's interesting. The review I read in the local paper wasn't all that positive. I didn't realise that other reviewers had praised it. The reviewer in the local paper said it read like it was written for the same old juvenile audience as her YA books.

Old 08-02-2015, 07:13 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
I was flipping through my Kindle and found that, um, almost two years ago, I'd stopped reading Empty Mansions (the story of Huguette Clark) at 30%. I'm going to continue it now. Continue reading it, I mean. Not continue letting it sit on my Kindle unread.

Old 08-02-2015, 07:21 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,341,957 times
Just started reading The Halleluiah Baby, that I got from the Amazon Prime lending library. Treez, the main character, is starting out as a fairly pathetic person. It will be interesting to see how the story progresses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books