Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2015, 04:42 PM

496 posts, read 395,735 times

Advertisements

I swear I drive myself crazy. I was certain I was going to read Wool next, then I got a bookbub email and ordered The Boy in the Suitcase. Then I saw a book called Major Pettigrew's Last Stand and ordered that one too. Good grief, I will never live long enough to read everything on my TR list!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2015, 06:30 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,461,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly-Kay View Post
I swear I drive myself crazy. I was certain I was going to read Wool next, then I got a bookbub email and ordered The Boy in the Suitcase. Then I saw a book called Major Pettigrew's Last Stand and ordered that one too. Good grief, I will never live long enough to read everything on my TR list!

I read that one some time ago, it was a good read.

Old 08-11-2015, 07:30 PM

4,724 posts, read 4,416,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly-Kay View Post

I read Major Pettigrew's Last Stand several months ago and enjoyed it.

I did get my kindle and so far when I look for free books, I am not seeing anything of interest. I did actually borrow a book from the library that I am reading-(let's take the long way home) but I would love to get some good free books to have in reserve. I am a somewhat fussy reader so I just don't want to download any old thing. Are there tips on this? (maybe I should start a new thread)

Old 08-12-2015, 06:48 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,948,301 times
Trying the very highly touted Philip K. Dick, and extremely disappointed. Very forced writing. Instead of just letting the story unfold, he is overly intent on justifying and validating the non-real circumstances in which it takes place.

Old 08-12-2015, 07:28 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,235,306 times
Are there any fans out there of Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts?

I first read it about 8 years ago, and I decided to re-read it because I was getting tired of waiting for the sequel to come out (The Mountain Shadow). I'm enjoying the novel as much as the first time I read it, and it turns out that my timing for re-reading it is good because the sequel will finally be coming out Oct. 13, so the characters will be fresh in my mind.

Shantaram, which describes the adventures of an Australian fugitive in Bombay, is a wild ride and often very intense and moving (and since the main character is a "stranger in a strange land," some of the circumstances are quite funny). I learned a lot about India reading it. I've been looking forward to the follow-up because the story is essentially a tale of redemption, but the first book leaves us at about the half-way point of the main character's odyssey.

Old 08-12-2015, 08:23 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,321,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillinthesouth View Post
Are there any fans out there of Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts?

I first read it about 8 years ago, and I decided to re-read it because I was getting tired of waiting for the sequel to come out (The Mountain Shadow). I'm enjoying the novel as much as the first time I read it, and it turns out that my timing for re-reading it is good because the sequel will finally be coming out Oct. 13, so the characters will be fresh in my mind.

Shantaram, which describes the adventures of an Australian fugitive in Bombay, is a wild ride and often very intense and moving (and since the main character is a "stranger in a strange land," some of the circumstances are quite funny). I learned a lot about India reading it. I've been looking forward to the follow-up because the story is essentially a tale of redemption, but the first book leaves us at about the half-way point of the main character's odyssey.
Yes, I read almost all of it three years ago. My dog died when I was about 3/4 of the way through and then my heart wasn't in it anymore. I should pick it up again. Is he writing a follow-up?

ETA: eek! I missed the part of your post about the follow up. I'll have to follow up on that.

Old 08-12-2015, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Yes, I read almost all of it three years ago. My dog died when I was about 3/4 of the way through and then my heart wasn't in it anymore. I should pick it up again. Is he writing a follow-up?

ETA: eek! I missed the part of your post about the follow up. I'll have to follow up on that.

It's interesting that you stopped about 3/4 through (sorry about your dog), as I have to admit the last 1/4 lost a bit of steam. It focuses on his experiences in the Afghan war and wasn't as absorbing to me as the earlier sections. I recommend you just read the new book instead of finishing that last section. I imagine the author will provide enough background to bring readers up to speed about his experiences in the war.

The description of the follow-up sounds intriguing to me:

"In The Mountain Shadow, the long awaited sequel, Lin must find his way in a Bombay run by a different generation of mafia dons, playing by a different set of rules.

It has been two years since the events in Shantaram, and since Lin lost two people he had come to love: his father figure, Khaderbhai, and his soul mate, Karla, now married to a handsome Indian media tycoon. Lin returns from a smuggling trip to a city that seems to have changed too much, too soon. Many of his old friends are long gone, his girlfriend—the radiant American Lisa—is spending more and more time at her art gallery, and the new mafia leadership has become entangled in increasingly violent intrigues."

Old 08-12-2015, 09:17 AM

By coincidence, the last person who recommended Dick to me also mentioned Roberts, but my library has no copies of any books by him.

Old 08-12-2015, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
By coincidence, the last person who recommended Dick to me also mentioned Roberts, but my library has no copies of any books by him.
If you're a Kindle reader, I think Shantaram is available for only $2.95. If/when you read it, I hope you like it better than Philip K. Dick.

BTW, your criticism of the book you read reminded me of the movie Interstellar, which I thought spent too much time explaining the far-fetched physics involved in what was happening.

Last edited by stillinthesouth; 08-12-2015 at 09:54 AM.. Reason: added a paragraph

Old 08-12-2015, 02:29 PM

I took Dick back to the library, and came home with two short books: Yann Martel's "Helsinki Roccamatios" and Cotzee's "Waiting for the Barbarians".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books