Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2015, 03:05 PM

17,213 posts, read 57,052,961 times

Advertisements

Finished Bunin's "Life of Arseniev" and am maybe 1/3 through "Ugrum Reka" or "Ugrum (gloomy, sullen) River" by Shishkov. Both in the original Russian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2015, 08:47 PM

35,016 posts, read 16,978,303 times
I just finished reading Ernest Michel's Promises to Keep. Excellent book. I could not put it down despite some of the gruesome and grittily realistic descriptions of the Holocaust. Mr. Michel lived through first the initial persecutions, then being shuffled among concentration camps and finally making a bold escape. He escaped from the famous "death march" from Auschwitz to Buchenwald ahead of the advancing Soviet armies. Hitler wanted to "finish the job" before being stopped.

The book then details his immigration to the U.S. The book lays out why this country is simply the best land anywhere, a miraculous. country. He rose from being an errand boy at a small-town newspaper in Port Huron, Michigan to executive levels at United Jewish Appeal. The book is spellbinding, and probably among the five top books I have ever read. Incredibly, I bought it for $1.50 at a cutout sale at the public library.

Old 08-12-2015, 09:17 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
I just started Tell the Wolves I'm Home. With all the traveling I've been doing lately, I have been very, very attached to my Kindle, but a trip to Target today got me in an impulsive "I can carry a real book" mood and here we go! I'll keep y'all posted!

Old 08-13-2015, 05:55 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
"eeek!" is an apt term for how I feel coming to these pages lately. It's like a reading frenzy here! I don't know how you all can get through so many titles. I keep wanting to say: "Slow down!" but then I realize that's just me wanting to keep pace when I so obviously never will.

Meanwhile, DH reads Jeffery Deaver and keeps telling me his work isn't for me -- too graphic. Is that true, YL? Is he graphic, or is DH just being overly protective? (Example: I cannot read Patricia Cornwall anymore.)
Lincoln Rhyme is a criminologist so yes the books are graphic. That's how they solve the crimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly-Kay View Post
I swear I drive myself crazy. I was certain I was going to read Wool next, then I got a bookbub email and ordered The Boy in the Suitcase. Then I saw a book called Major Pettigrew's Last Stand and ordered that one too. Good grief, I will never live long enough to read everything on my TR list!
Ha, ha…I know all about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
I read Major Pettigrew's Last Stand several months ago and enjoyed it.

I did get my kindle and so far when I look for free books, I am not seeing anything of interest. I did actually borrow a book from the library that I am reading-(let's take the long way home) but I would love to get some good free books to have in reserve. I am a somewhat fussy reader so I just don't want to download any old thing. Are there tips on this? (maybe I should start a new thread)
I have had some good luck with my freebies. I needed to clean up my kindle so I started cross reading reviews on the books I downloaded. I checked Amazon and Goodreads reviews and was able to narrow it down. I don't know that you can do too much else because the books don't "stay" free unless it is a classic. Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I just finished reading Ernest Michel's Promises to Keep. Excellent book. I could not put it down despite some of the gruesome and grittily realistic descriptions of the Holocaust. Mr. Michel lived through first the initial persecutions, then being shuffled among concentration camps and finally making a bold escape. He escaped from the famous "death march" from Auschwitz to Buchenwald ahead of the advancing Soviet armies. Hitler wanted to "finish the job" before being stopped.

The book then details his immigration to the U.S. The book lays out why this country is simply the best land anywhere, a miraculous. country. He rose from being an errand boy at a small-town newspaper in Port Huron, Michigan to executive levels at United Jewish Appeal. The book is spellbinding, and probably among the five top books I have ever read. Incredibly, I bought it for $1.50 at a cutout sale at the public library.
Sounds good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I just started Tell the Wolves I'm Home. With all the traveling I've been doing lately, I have been very, very attached to my Kindle, but a trip to Target today got me in an impulsive "I can carry a real book" mood and here we go! I'll keep y'all posted!
That one was pretty good. Enjoy.

I am reading One For The Murphy's right now and it is OK. I like the young girl in it.
http://www.amazon.com/One-Murphys-Ly...or+the+murphys

Next I might read Out Of My Mind…another YA book.
http://www.amazon.com/Out-My-Mind-Sh...out+of+my+mind

I am reading some of The Battle of The Books that my granddaughter will be reading this year.

Old 08-13-2015, 09:13 AM

47,545 posts, read 6,390,635 times
I read a lot of non-fiction.

One book which I recently finished:

"Indian Yell" by Michael Blake, who also wrote "Dances With Wolves."

Indian Yell is his first non-fiction book, and it gives more background into the history and tragedies of the war between advancing American civilization and the Native American people.

I knew some of the facts he wrote about from other sources, including an American Indian history class I took in college, but some of the information was completely new to me, too.

There were atrocities committed on both sides by reprehensible people, as well as kind-hearted, compassionate and noble people on both sides.

When I was a child, I would watch westerns with my dad. He always favored the cowboys, while I sympathized with the Indians.

It was interesting to explore some of the background of history, and this book provided a good opportunity for that.

Old 08-13-2015, 10:32 AM

496 posts, read 395,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I read that a few years ago and enjoyed it! Hope you do as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by txwriter View Post
I read a lot of non-fiction.

One book which I recently finished:

"Indian Yell" by Michael Blake, who also wrote "Dances With Wolves."

Indian Yell is his first non-fiction book, and it gives more background into the history and tragedies of the war between advancing American civilization and the Native American people.

I knew some of the facts he wrote about from other sources, including an American Indian history class I took in college, but some of the information was completely new to me, too.

There were atrocities committed on both sides by reprehensible people, as well as kind-hearted, compassionate and noble people on both sides.

When I was a child, I would watch westerns with my dad. He always favored the cowboys, while I sympathized with the Indians.

It was interesting to explore some of the background of history, and this book provided a good opportunity for that.
That sounds like a great book. We watch a lot of westerns, and I too, feel for the Indians but love the noble beings on both sides. I am going to put this on my TR list.

Old 08-13-2015, 12:36 PM

47,545 posts, read 6,390,635 times
Holly-Kay, there were definitely good and bad people on both sides of the Indian Wars.

It just seems like one side, because of numbers and technology, was able to make the worst of its transgressions, and do a lot more damage to greater numbers of people.

Often, the whites who spoke out about terrible policies and injustice were marginalized or retaliated against. They had to be very brave indeed.

Interestingly, Custer respected and admired Native American culture. I bought a book for my dad comparing the lives of Crazy Horse and Custer (by Stephen Ambrose), and that is definitely one I'd like to read someday.

I think Michael Blake does a good job of presenting a balanced picture of Custer. He also talks about how Custer and Crazy Horse were both very controversial among their respective peoples, but that those who respected them would always go the extra mile to support them. Those who hated them did so with intensity.

"Indian Yell" was definitely a good book, and worth reading.

Last edited by txwriter; 08-13-2015 at 01:32 PM..

Old 08-13-2015, 01:30 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Just finished "Bellman and Black." I nearly put it down several times -- nothing seemed to be happening. Then I got to the end and it all fell into place.

Next up: "My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry" by Fredrik Backman.

Still listening to "The Rest of Her Life" by Laura Moriarty and still find it irritating. I actually read the description on this one, hoping to get a clue as to why it seems to be all about the mother, when the beginning of the story leads me to think the daughter's the one with the story to tell. After all, one doesn't kill a classmate -- accidentally, without something to share. But NO, it's all about mom and her life and how she's always been ill treated and never understands..... Plagh!

I know, right? Why do I continue?!

Old 08-14-2015, 10:02 AM

2,453 posts, read 3,604,506 times
Anne Tyler has been hit and miss for me over the years but A Spool of Blue Thread landed in the hit column. A very engaging domestic fiction that starts out in the present day and reveals the back stories of the main characters in subsequent chapters. If you're looking for a novel with an "ending" this isn't it, but a fascinating look at a few generations of a family with some surprising revelations. Lots of detail about the "porch house" the family has kept through the years. This was a great read for a summer day on my own back porch!

Old 08-14-2015, 10:39 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post
Anne Tyler has been hit and miss for me over the years but A Spool of Blue Thread landed in the hit column. A very engaging domestic fiction that starts out in the present day and reveals the back stories of the main characters in subsequent chapters. If you're looking for a novel with an "ending" this isn't it, but a fascinating look at a few generations of a family with some surprising revelations. Lots of detail about the "porch house" the family has kept through the years. This was a great read for a summer day on my own back porch!
I really enjoyed that book, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books