Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2015, 03:40 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times

Advertisements

Finished Yann Martell's "The Facts Behind the Helsinki Roccamatios", a quick read. Martell tells a good story in a captivating way about odd subjects, and I learned a lot (mostly history) from the book. But not one of my favorites for literary style.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2015, 03:47 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times
I just finished listening to Laura Moriarty's "The Rest of Her Life" and for all my ranting earlier, I am glad I did. I discovered a long time ago that reading some fiction helps me to learn to be a better person, and this is one of those. If you read my earlier post, you know I didn't like the first half of the story. I was angry at the protagonist, mother to a young woman who'd killed a classmate in an car-pedestrian accident. I was REALLY angry, because she made it all about her. In fact, the poor young woman that killed the girl was hardly mentioned. It was all about the mother and her life as a girl and how her mother didn't understand her -- when all the time I kept thinking: "THINK about YOUR daughter, and stop thinking about YOU!"

And then I realized I was angry at her because all too often I am thinking about Me. (Eeeuuuww. Yuck.)

So, on that basis alone, I have to give Laura Moriarty credit for writing a story that involved this reader so overwhelmingly that I didn't even realize I was looking in a mirror. Probably most readers won't get this benefit, but this one did.

Old 08-15-2015, 03:15 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times
I just finished listening to the screen play of "Substance of Fire" by Jon Robin Baitz, performed by L.A. Theater Works. Overdrive media described it as "commanding drama about a New York publisher and Holocaust survivor whose decision to publish obscure political tracts threatens the future of both his company and his family."

I thought it had more to do with the indignity you feels as you grow older and the things that matter to you seem irrelevant to those younger.

Now I am listening to "Mistaken Identity" by Lisa Scottoline. I tried to listen to her "Think Twice" but the reader was irritating to listen to and I decided it would be better if I read it myself.

Old 08-15-2015, 06:12 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
I am in the middle of Girl on a Train, by Paula Hawkins. Wow, this is like a descent into the hell of an alcoholic. I assume there is a happyish ending here. I sure hope so.

Great writing though. Great concept for a mystery too.

Old 08-15-2015, 06:37 PM

34,997 posts, read 16,964,237 times
I just started The Great Debate, by Yuval Levin.

Old 08-15-2015, 07:06 PM

4,723 posts, read 4,413,722 times
I just finished Let's Take the Long Way Home, which was highly recommended here. I have to admit when I reserved it I had no idea what it was about, only that people said it was great.( About 1/4 say through I realized it was non fiction).. well, I am glad I read it, but now understand why someone had commented that it was too heavy and depressing for what they were going through.
Yes, it was a beautiful memoire of friendship and some alcohol demons and had much about dog lovers, but I found that other than being quite envious/jealous of the super friendship, and a touching memoire at that, I could not relate to a lot of it. I just read it and accepted the premise.

In keeping with my reading a book that someone recommends but I have ZERO idea what it is about I just started Three Men in a Boat. Talk about entertaining, chuckling, humorous and intelligent. It was written in 1889!!....Just the right thing to counteract the sadness from my last few (Love Song of Miss Queenie hennessy, The Girls, and Let's Tak the long way Home). Three Men in a Boat: Jerome K. Jerome: 9781484156704: Amazon.com: Books Has anyone read it? I never even heard of it but what a delight!

Old 08-15-2015, 08:03 PM

1,026 posts, read 1,192,205 times
I just finished Somebody I Used to Knowby David Bell. I really enjoyed it.

It is the story of a man who sees a young woman that looks exactly like his college girlfriend, who died 20 years before in a fire. The woman turns up dead the next day with his name and address on her body.

The story shows the strength of young love while demonstrating what a small world it is that we live in. I would have liked the ending to be a bit stronger, but overall it was a good read.

I'm sure it's just me, but lately I have not been a fan of any of the endings of the stories I have been reading.

http://www.amazon.com/Somebody-Used-...i+used+to+know

Old 08-16-2015, 09:30 AM

2,453 posts, read 3,603,472 times
In a Dark Dark Wood by Ruth Ware. A psychological thriller set in England during a weekend "hen party." Their version of a bachelorette party, but unlike any you've ever been to. Creepily eerie setting but this is no horror story. Seemingly ordinary people caught up in something they don't really understand and even though you may guess what's going on it's still a real page-turner.

My main beef with this book is the premise of the murder. It made me go "hmm?" And then there's the very last sentence. What did she really do? Kind of like a choose-your-own-adventure with no alternative endings. Still pretty much enjoyed it though.

Old 08-16-2015, 09:34 AM

2,531 posts, read 3,096,958 times
Murder Must Advertise by the great Dorothy Sayers, on my Kindle Voyage.

Old 08-16-2015, 10:12 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,887,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I just started Early from the Dance by David Payne.

Early from the Dance - Kindle edition by David Payne. Literature & Fiction Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.

I'm only on the second chapter, so I've got no verdict on it yet.

I happened across the book because the author's newest book (no, I'd never heard of David Payne either) just came out and I want to read it too. That one's called Barefoot to Avalon.

Barefoot to Avalon, David Payne - Amazon.com

But I'm starting with Early from the Dance.

ETA: Regarding Early from the Dance, I'm a bit perturbed. All the dialogue is within the dense paragraphs, all with "he said" and "then I said". I guess it's supposed to sound like the narrator telling you how it went ("and he said ... and then I said ... and then I took a sip of my drink ... and then I said ..."). I wonder if this is going to grate on me (maybe it already is?) to the point where I give up on yet another book. Sigh...

ETA2: I give up. I'm not even at 7% and I already found my third spelling mistake. Between the typos and the embedded dialogue, I've had enough.
Early from the Dance is one of my favorite novels of all time; I've read it in three different editions, and don't remember typos or spelling errors (and I'm very sensitive to that sort of thing). I haven't read it on my Kindle, however.

I'm reading Barefoot to Avalon now, too. I find it particularly interesting because Payne shares with us the real-life versions of some of the events he fictionalized in Early from the Dance. You may wish to give Early another try before finishing Barefoot.

Sorry you didn't like him. Though I didn't like his two most recent novels all that much, Early from the Dance and Ruin Creek, which followed it, are books I recommend frequently.

Last edited by jay5835; 08-16-2015 at 11:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books