Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2015, 04:16 PM

496 posts, read 395,417 times

Advertisements

I finished The Interestings and enjoyed. Then read Major Pettigrew's Last Stand. Book nerd that I am I tend to read the acknowledgements at the end and the author mentioned Meg Wolitzer, the author of The Interestings. It was so strange to read them back to back and have one author mention the other.

I started The Boy in the Suitcase. I am 14% in and it is such a confusing story that I may have to give up on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2015, 05:45 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,604,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I couldn't rep you again so soon, but, you won! BEST REVIEW EVER!
LOL, Dawn, I wish it had been for a book I actually liked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I did a whole thread on Jennifer McMahon (no one really joined), because I had read all of her books in about 2 weeks and found them all very similar (all involving a central female character, going back and forth in time, uncovering some buried secret, and some eeriness that may or may not be supernatural.) I do like paranormal stuff once in a while, and she provides books that are kind of "brain candy" I read between weightier material. I need to put this new one on my list.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/books...t-but-one.html
I wonder if she's still the "U2" (all their songs sound alike to me) of mystery writers that she was when posted that.
Oh yes, Tracy, the going back and forth in time kind of threw me on this particular book. I had to keep reminding myself who was who, and I don't usually have much trouble with that. Wish I'd read your earlier thread and I would have been forewarned about this author. Oh well, sometimes we're led down the primrose path, no harm done except for heebie-jeebies! And I totally agree with the U2 analogy.

Old 08-17-2015, 07:29 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,249,859 times
I will finish up Maia by Richard Adams tonight and I have really enjoyed this fantasy book. The heroine is quite believable, while there is quite a bit of eroticism it is very tastefully done and none of it is explicit. Maia is sold into slavery. The novel is about how Maia overcomes being a slave (concubine) in a male dominant world. While at times she will use her body and good looks to get ahead, basically she tries to achieve the best possible outcome, not just for herself, but for everyone. However, what Maia perceives to be the best outcome, is not always the best for everyone. There are many twists and turns to the plot, and I was hooked on this book within the first 20 to 30 pages.

Warning: This is an extremely large book - one that you should be sure not to drop on your toes

Old 08-18-2015, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I couldn't rep you again so soon, but, you won! BEST REVIEW EVER!
I agree Dawn!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I did a whole thread on Jennifer McMahon (no one really joined), because I had read all of her books in about 2 weeks and found them all very similar (all involving a central female character, going back and forth in time, uncovering some buried secret, and some eeriness that may or may not be supernatural.) I do like paranormal stuff once in a while, and she provides books that are kind of "brain candy" I read between weightier material. I need to put this new one on my list.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/books...t-but-one.html
I wonder if she's still the "U2" (all their songs sound alike to me) of mystery writers that she was when posted that.
Kind of like the Kay Scarpetta stories. I loved the first books in that series but have vowed to not pick another one up as they are all the same old, same old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post
I thought I was reading a book about sisters growing up in a bucolic New England setting in which their parents owned a nice old-fashioned roadside motel. I knew there was family drama involved, including buried secrets, because the book cover told me so. But it didn't say it was supernatural, wth, stuff! I don't do this genre because I hate being creeped out. But by the time I figured out that something eerie was going on in The Night Sister by Jennifer McMahon I had to stick with it to find out what "it" was. Which meant I couldn't read until late in the night or every creak in my house would mean something sinister.

I finished it this morning in the broad light of day on my back porch surrounded by flowers, birds, bunnies, and other happy things. Only way I could do it. I can't say if it was any good or not since I don't normally read this genre, so maybe the more preposterous the better? Who knows. On to something else.
Lost Roses, that truly is a great review. I think I will add The Night Sisters to my TR list.

Last evening I was belly aching about how confusing The Boy in the Suitcase is. I read more last evening and I'm now interested. It is confusing as it takes place in Denmark and there are terms that I don't quite "get". It does rather remind me of the trilogy by Stieg Larssons. I will definitely finish it.

Old 08-18-2015, 08:50 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Funny thing this morning. I got an email from Goodreads inviting me to enter their giveaway for Lori Lansens' "The Mountain Story." Just below that in my inbox was another from my library informing me that the downloadable audiobook was available and had been checked out to my account. Guess the universe REALLY wants me to read Lori Larsens right away!

I didn't really get the "U2" comment about Jennifer McMahon, but if she's truly the same ol' story every time, I also downloaded the only story available on audio, "The Winter People."

I don't recall if anyone here has mentioned "My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry" Fredrik Backman, (of "A Man Called Ove"), but I've gotten a third into and am not as tickled with it as I was with "Ove." Maybe because I am not a YA reader, and it's written from the perspective of an "almost eight years old" girl and spins out from the fairy tells her grandmother told her. There is a story within a story evolving from the story told, but I am not so charmed by it. The undertones are sad, and that may be why.

Meanwhile, Lisa Scottoline's "Mistaken Identity" is turning into a very interesting story. It's the fourth in this series about a female lawyer in Philadelphia, and I am already thinking of going back to read it from the first.

Today, however, is Tuesday and Tuesdays I drive north to Monroe WA and sew with a bunch of old hens like me, equal parts of sewing and our own story telling!

Hope your week is rolling out nicely!

Old 08-18-2015, 08:57 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post

I don't recall if anyone here has mentioned "My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry" Fredrik Backman, (of "A Man Called Ove"), but I've gotten a third into and am not as tickled with it as I was with "Ove." Maybe because I am not a YA reader, and it's written from the perspective of an "almost eight years old" girl and spins out from the fairy tells her grandmother told her. There is a story within a story evolving from the story told, but I am not so charmed by it. The undertones are sad, and that may be why.
I remember it was mentioned by someone so I put myself on the hold list for it. There are 2 people ahead of me. I'm curious to read it now based on your comments, whether I'll like it or not.

Old 08-18-2015, 10:22 AM

2,453 posts, read 3,604,506 times
Quote:
Funny thing this morning. I got an email from Goodreads inviting me to enter their giveaway for Lori Lansens' "The Mountain Story." Just below that in my inbox was another from my library informing me that the downloadable audiobook was available and had been checked out to my account. Guess the universe REALLY wants me to read Lori Larsens right away!

I didn't really get the "U2" comment about Jennifer McMahon, but if she's truly the same ol' story every time, I also downloaded the only story available on audio, "The Winter People."

Meanwhile, Lisa Scottoline's "Mistaken Identity" is turning into a very interesting story. It's the fourth in this series about a female lawyer in Philadelphia, and I am already thinking of going back to read it from the first.

Today, however, is Tuesday and Tuesdays I drive north to Monroe WA and sew with a bunch of old hens like me, equal parts of sewing and our own story telling!

Mayberry, it sounds like Winter People is even creepier. One Amazon reviewer called it "neo-Lovecraftian." Reading H.P. Lovecraft in my early 20s is what put me off horror forever. I still vaguely remember some of those gruesome images conjured up nearly 50 years later. Yeah, I'm a big chicken! And an old hen too - enjoy your sewing and story telling!

Old 08-18-2015, 10:27 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
I started A Stranger In a Strange Land (Heinlein) when I realized it was LONG, and I have a bunch of library reserves that will be available soon, so I stopped. I started About a Boy (Hornby) and I'm really enjoying it.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-18-2015, 11:34 AM

Quote:

LFM, I read the book mentioned above. I almost gave up on it several times but glad I read it through. It was very much a fantastical book and I don't usually do fantasy. I was very glad though, that I read through to the end, because I really felt the ending was rather perfect. I have to add that it wasn't nearly in the same league as A Man Called Ove. That book was so great that Ove was one of the names I was considering for one of my kitty twins.

Old 08-18-2015, 12:14 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,889,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I started A Stranger In a Strange Land (Heinlein) when I realized it was LONG, and I have a bunch of library reserves that will be available soon, so I stopped.
When I read it, I could not put it down. After reading it, I tried for a year to find something I might like as much, but there was nothing I liked as much as Stranger, at least not in the sci-fi genre.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books