Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2015, 09:24 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,140,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I read the Plainsong trilogy by Haruf last December. I love, love, love his work. I have never encountered an author who is able to convey human gentleness as well as Kent Haruf could. I loved the characters and the two bachelor farmers in particular and frankly, I miss them.
I read Plainsong over ten years ago, I think. There is much in the book that I've forgotten. I think both Plainsong and Eventide are due for a reread. I think your phrase, "human gentleness" is apt for his books.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2015, 08:25 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post

Yes, I am pretty certain I will see it to the end. And I think "Ove" is a perfect name for a kitty. What will you name the other? -- I like "Und."
I second "Und".

Old 08-19-2015, 08:41 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I just finished Benediction, by Kent Haruf. I think this is the best of his books. Parental mistakes are a contant motif with him, but I think he did this best in this book. Some of the reviews came out and all but demanded a sequel. Too bad there will be none. His last book, Our Souls at Night, isn't as fleshed out or as optimistic. And the characters from Benediction do not make an appearance.

I am thinking of re-reading Plainsong and Eventide, the two previous novels that I read over a decade ago. I like his writing style and I enjoy his characters. His books don't have a lot of plot; they are like windows into peoples actual lives. I really enjoy his books.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I read the Plainsong trilogy by Haruf last December. I love, love, love his work. I have never encountered an author who is able to convey human gentleness as well as Kent Haruf could. I loved the characters and the two bachelor farmers in particular and frankly, I miss them.
I'm reading Plainsong right now for the first time. So beautiful but so sad. At least as far as I've gotten.

Spoiler
The little boys, Ike and Bobby, just bought their mother perfume and bubble bath marbles. That about killed me. Then she opened the package and cried and I wanted to cry too.

Old 08-19-2015, 05:20 PM

496 posts, read 395,364 times
I finished The Boy in the Suitcase last night. I had to get up at six this morning as my DD and I were going for breakfast and shopping today but I stayed up until one because the book just got that good that I couldn't put it down. So now I am searching for what I will start tonight.

Old 08-19-2015, 06:40 PM

983 posts, read 994,713 times
I'm reading "The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt". Jeez, 55% of the way through and he's not even president yet!

Old 08-19-2015, 10:25 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
I finished The Fifth Wave by Rick Yancey. I found the writing better than the average thriller but the way the multiple POVs were delineated was jarring for some reason. The characters were well-drawn. It did hold my interest. I found the plot completely implausible with all sorts of unexplained loopholes (downright weird) but it appears that all is not lost! Since I wanted to know what happened to the characters, I immediately bought the sequel, The Infinite Sea, and right there in the beginning, on what is practically page 1, a character muses about all the things that seemed to be poorly thought out. That is evidence that an explanation, hopefully believable, is to come.

I did give The Fifth Wave four stars. Amazon.com: The 5th Wave: The First Book of the 5th Wave Series (9780142425831): Rick Yancey: Books I haven't progressed any further on The Lives of the Caesars having spent my time with make-believe monsters.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Infinite-S..._bxgy_14_img_y

Old 08-20-2015, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly-Kay View Post
I finished The Boy in the Suitcase last night. I had to get up at six this morning as my DD and I were going for breakfast and shopping today but I stayed up until one because the book just got that good that I couldn't put it down. So now I am searching for what I will start tonight.
If you were not aware, there are other Nina books. Last time I looked I think there were 2 more. I've meant to read the next one many times but then something else grabs my attention. I enjoyed The Boy in the Suitcase as well and thought it was well written.

Old 08-20-2015, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I finished The Fifth Wave by Rick Yancey. I found the writing better than the average thriller but the way the multiple POVs were delineated was jarring for some reason. The characters were well-drawn. It did hold my interest. I found the plot completely implausible with all sorts of unexplained loopholes (downright weird) but it appears that all is not lost! Since I wanted to know what happened to the characters, I immediately bought the sequel, The Infinite Sea, and right there in the beginning, on what is practically page 1, a character muses about all the things that seemed to be poorly thought out. That is evidence that an explanation, hopefully believable, is to come.

I did give The Fifth Wave four stars. Amazon.com: The 5th Wave: The First Book of the 5th Wave Series (9780142425831): Rick Yancey: Books I haven't progressed any further on The Lives of the Caesars having spent my time with make-believe monsters.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Infinite-S..._bxgy_14_img_y
The third book doesn't come out until May. I was so excited when I saw there was a 3rd until I saw the release date, May 24, 2016. It is said at this time to be the final book. I'm hoping he doesn't pull a Christopher Paolini or Diana Gabaldon and lead me to believe the next one is the last one and then throw out more. Then it's the waiting game all over again.

Old 08-20-2015, 09:31 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
The third book doesn't come out until May. I was so excited when I saw there was a 3rd until I saw the release date, May 24, 2016. It is said at this time to be the final book. I'm hoping he doesn't pull a Christopher Paolini or Diana Gabaldon and lead me to believe the next one is the last one and then throw out more. Then it's the waiting game all over again.
I know, I know. I'm hoping that a good explanation for what, in the first book, looked like a poorly thought out plot, makes it into the second book because otherwise I will be really upset. I am not sure I would be interested in the third book if there isn't some kind of explanation for all the weirdness in book one.

Old 08-20-2015, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I know, I know. I'm hoping that a good explanation for what, in the first book, looked like a poorly thought out plot, makes it into the second book because otherwise I will be really upset. I am not sure I would be interested in the third book if there isn't some kind of explanation for all the weirdness in book one.
I am almost feeling like Dawn and cannot remember enough to properly reassure you, but I'm pretty sure I thought book 2 was good. I know I wanted to read book 2 as book 1 left me wondering things too. I just checked Goodreads and of course I didn't rate either one. I really should start doing that more often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books