Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2015, 08:10 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,700,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
So I finished Three Men in a Boat (delightful delightful) and saw a book recommended on another forum- Cold Comfort Farm. I went and got it today and will start it later. I don't know anything about it- I usually don't when I pick up books. I just go by recommendations and if the title appeals. This one seems quite old as well and I seem to be gravitating to old, and British.
I also picked up Plainsong and The Boy who Harnessed the Wind (the latter is for book club). So I will be reading and reading! happy.
I enjoyed Cold Comfort Farm. It's also a movie but that wasn't very good, so don't bother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2015, 08:29 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,348,993 times
I am currently reading and enjoying Orphan #8. Just released this month.

Amazon.com: Orphan #8: A Novel (9780062338303): Kim van Alkemade: Books

Old 08-25-2015, 11:21 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,073,706 times
Yeah Lisa is reading "the truth according to us " I'm doing the happy dance that has to be one of my favorite books from this year . I'm so glad you are liking it .

Old 08-25-2015, 11:26 AM

496 posts, read 395,364 times
I downloaded Night Sister but I'm reading The Things That Keep Us Here by Carla Buckley, it is downright scary as this could happen. It really has me hooked.

I will probably read Night Sister next but then there is also a Western that is the next in a series that I started a few years ago. I suppose my next read is to be determined.

Old 08-25-2015, 05:15 PM

424 posts, read 430,581 times
"The Scarlet Gospels" by Clive Barker

"True Detectives" by Jonathan Kellerman

"The Greatest Show on Earth" by Richard Dawkins

Old 08-25-2015, 05:41 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I'm about 2/3 of the way through this book and I will admit that I'm disappointed...while Doerr is a beautiful writer, it is just not the captivating read that I expected. And maybe I was expecting too much.
I read the description and it seems like it would be a very interesting story. I added it to my TRL in hopes that I will see it differently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Yeah Lisa is reading "the truth according to us " I'm doing the happy dance that has to be one of my favorite books from this year . I'm so glad you are liking it .
I added this to my TRL as well. I think it was your happy dance that decided it for me. For some reason I've been hesitant, but I will go for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly-Kay View Post
I downloaded Night Sister but I'm reading The Things That Keep Us Here by Carla Buckley, it is downright scary as this could happen. It really has me hooked.

I will probably read Night Sister next but then there is also a Western that is the next in a series that I started a few years ago. I suppose my next read is to be determined.
I added Night Sister, and thinking The Things that Keep Us Here would be too difficult to me. I've always said that in that situation people would pull together to keep us all afloat -- like they are doing now in Eastern WA where fires have destroyed entire neighborhoods and communities. I don't want to think that my neighbor could be my enemy.

That said, I started finally started reading "The Murderers Among Us" by Simon Wiesenthal yesterday and it seems like he had personal experience of neighbors doing nothing while knowing -- but refusing to know -- that their Jewish neighbors were being stripped from their homes and shipped to horrific lives or death. I hate when the human race is so disappointing.

Old 08-25-2015, 06:56 PM

997 posts, read 1,060,655 times
Just about to start Vanishing Games by Roger Hobbs.

Last night, I finished The Paper Swan by Leylah Attar

Old 08-26-2015, 02:57 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,383,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
It is very good. It's funny how one "family" saga is enjoyable to one reader and not another. I was one who did not like A Spool of Blue Thread as I thought the people were so boring. Alas many here liked it

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I read the description and it seems like it would be a very interesting story. I added it to my TRL in hopes that I will see it differently.

Add me to the list who loved All The Light We Cannot See. I read it as part of a group and we all really liked it.

I added this to my TRL as well. I think it was your happy dance that decided it for me. For some reason I've been hesitant, but I will go for it.

That said, I started finally started reading "The Murderers Among Us" by Simon Wiesenthal yesterday and it seems like he had personal experience of neighbors doing nothing while knowing -- but refusing to know -- that their Jewish neighbors were being stripped from their homes and shipped to horrific lives or death. I hate when the human race is so disappointing.

People can sure be downright ugly and inhuman.

Old 08-26-2015, 09:13 AM

2,453 posts, read 3,604,049 times
Remember Enchanted April by Elizabeth von Arnim? It was about four Englishwomen who rented a villa in Italy and found unexpected happiness away from their ordinary lives. It was made into a pretty good movie with Miranda Richardson.

Well, I picked up Enchanted August by Brenda Bowen at the library, and lo and behold, it is a different version of Enchanted April, but this time it is four individuals in the U.S. who rent a "cottage", sight unseen, on an idyllic island off the coast of Maine. Even the names of the characters are the same as those in the inspiration book!

I am such a sucker for novels where the protagonists get to escape to a beach cottage to sort out life's woes. Who gets to do that? This was a fun book, a definite "beach read" even if I have only a shady back porch instead of a sandy shore.

Old 08-26-2015, 09:19 AM

11,758 posts, read 14,646,068 times
http://www.amazon.com/Something-Abou...+edward+county

I'm reading Something Must Be Done About Prince Edward County. This is about one of the counties in the south that closed their public schools and opened a segregation academy to resist providing human rights to black people.

I'm about 60% through it. It's written by a white woman who grew up in the county, and it alternates between journalistic coverage of the events and personal recollections and interviews of family members who were involved. Definitely worthwhile.

I'm not at my Kindle right now, but reading it is tempting me to go along with people who say that the Confederate Flag isn't about the Civil War, it's about Southern heritage. That heritage, as documented here, includes closing public schools to avoid having to educate black children, maintaining segregated movie theaters, parks, and water fountains, and department stores that would sell to black people but wouldn't let them try anything on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books