Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2015, 05:12 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,147,759 times

Advertisements

I just read High as the Horses' Bridles, by Scott Cheshire. I am quite taken with the book. It is beautifully written, and it has a heart. If you've ever wrestled with loss of childhood faith, or with a parent who is having a breakdown, then you will understand the emotion of this book. It is not a bleak read, but it has depths. I'm still thinking about it a day after finishing it.

320 pp.

A Washington Post Top 50 of 2014 Fiction pick
A Wall Street Journal Book of the Year, selected by Phil Klay
Electric Literature 2014: Year of the Debut
A Largehearted Boy Favorite Novel of 2014
Slaughterhouse 90210's Most Rapturous Book of 2014
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2015, 03:36 PM

496 posts, read 395,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by entyss View Post
That's funny, I started it a couple of days ago and am really loving it! (funny cuz it's been out for a while )
Yes I have had it on my Kindle for several years. I finished it this morning and I really enjoyed it. I believe that there are more books to come and will look for them but I purcased The Provincial Lady series and South Riding today and I will read one or both so those before anything else.

Old 09-07-2015, 10:11 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,368,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Jealous! Franzen is my fantasy literary boyfriend. I also loved The Corrections as well as Freedom. Loved The Secret History as well.

We have similar tastes, at least based on this. I have never met anyone in real life who has read a book by Franzen? Have y'all?
I've read Franzen...

but *only* his non-fiction (personal essays/memoir): How to be Alone, The Discomfort Zone, and Farther Away.
Many of the chapters in those books were ones I'd first read in The New Yorker magazine.

I just don't do fiction, with singular exception of Stephen King.

Old 09-08-2015, 04:27 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,387,300 times
I finished Runner by Patrick Lee last night. If you like Lee Child's Jack Reacher or Robert Crais's Joe Pike give this Sam Dryden series a try. I have found a new author just what I need, lol.

I will be finishing up Boston Girl by Anita Diamant today. It is about a woman who is born to immigrant parents in Boston in 1900. It is an interesting account of her life and times.

Next up is The Shed That Fed A Million Children by Magnus Macfarlane-Barrow. He is the founder of Mary's Meals.
The Shed That Fed a Million Children: The Extraordinary Story of Mary's Meals - Kindle edition by Magnus MacFarlane-Barrow. Politics & Social Sciences Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.

Old 09-08-2015, 06:03 AM

3,929 posts, read 2,952,776 times
Just started The Four Agreements by Dan Miguel Ruiz.

Old 09-08-2015, 08:31 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,254,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I have! I read The Corrections when it first came out but nothing else by him.
I've read both The Corrections and Freedom and am on the waiting list for Purity.

Old 09-08-2015, 08:46 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,254,113 times
I just started We The Animals by Justin Torres and finally, The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce. I hope it's as good as Perfect, which was beautifully constructed, great characterization and a satisfactory ending. It was perfect.

Old 09-08-2015, 10:47 AM

997 posts, read 1,060,876 times
I read about Haunted, by Kay Hooper, in Bookpage a while ago, and was intrigued. I enjoyed that book, and have now read a few more of hers in the series, including Haven and Hostage. Going back to the beginning of the Bishop / SCU series now and about to start Hiding in the Shadows.

Old 09-08-2015, 11:14 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,321,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
I just started We The Animals by Justin Torres and finally, The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce. I hope it's as good as Perfect, which was beautifully constructed, great characterization and a satisfactory ending. It was perfect.
I couldn't get into the sequel for Harold Frye at all even though I loved Harold Frye. Perfect has been on my to-read list for a long time but the same SIL that recommended the Queenie Hennesy book, which I didn't like, did not recommend Perfect, so now my hopes are back up.

Purity by Franzen is also a recent addition to my to-read list.

Old 09-08-2015, 12:13 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,319,963 times
I've been unsuccessful in finding something to read. I tried 3 books and couldn't get into them.

BUT......I think I have struck gold with A Land More Kind Than Home by Wiley Cash. I've had this book on my kindle for a couple of years. I have no idea why I have not read it before.

It's good. The story is told through the eyes of four people and they are all related. I'm enjoying it. The author does have a way with words and the environment of small town rural folks is brought to life through his words.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books