Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2015, 03:50 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,385,004 times

Advertisements

Last week I found myself at a bookstore. Unbelievable but I can't remember when I've entered a store with real books the last time

Now I know why I don't frequent these shops anymore. You won't believe how expensive books are in Germany!
Moreover, I couldn't decide what book to take. Usually I browse the internet for used books and always take 3 or 4 at a time. But looking at the price I decided one needed to be enough.
So, I bought "Grey" by EL James for about 17 USD. And yes, I definitely wanted to fit into the chliché I don't even know why I bought this book. I've read two volumes of "Fifty Shades of Grey" about two years ago and decided that it's boring and just a love story wrapped up a little differently. Well okay, now I need to read it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 04:46 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I never read the reviews anymore. They color my experience of reading to become instead: comparisons to a norm. I hope you come back and tell more of your experience once you've read it.

I just finished reading Hannah Kent's "Burial Rites" and thank you YL for that experience. I gave it five stars and this review in Goodreads:
So glad you liked it

Old 09-22-2015, 04:59 AM

Looks like Fourth of July Creek is no on my list

I just finished a BOTM mystery. I have never read this mother and daughter team, P J Tracy. If you like mysteries and not all the gore give PJ Tracy a try. The book was Monkeewrench. I really enjoyed this mystery about a serial killer has decided to play out the murders from a computer game. There were some great characters and not a lot of gore.

Now I am reading Boo by Neil Smith. I think this is the one Dawn really liked. It sounds really good.
"When Oliver "Boo" Dalrymple wakes up in heaven, the eighth-grade science geek thinks he died of a heart defect at his school. But soon after arriving in this hereafter reserved for dead thirteen-year-olds, Boo discovers he’s a 'gommer', a kid who was murdered. What’s more, his killer may also be in heaven. With help from the volatile Johnny, a classmate killed at the same school, Boo sets out to track down the mysterious Gunboy who cut short both their lives.

In a heartrending story written to his beloved parents, the odd but endearing Boo relates his astonishing heavenly adventures as he tests the limits of friendship, learns about forgiveness and, finally, makes peace with the boy he once was and the boy he can now be."

Old 09-22-2015, 05:06 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post

Now I am reading Boo by Neil Smith. I think this is the one Dawn really liked.
I never actually read it. I had it on my "to read" list but that's as far as I got.

Old 09-22-2015, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I never actually read it. I had it on my "to read" list but that's as far as I got.

Oops…I thought you did. Oh well…I'll tell you how it is

Old 09-22-2015, 06:04 AM

4,724 posts, read 4,415,751 times
heading off to work now but happy to see Dawn posting. It's been a while- no?

I am reading High Fidelity for book club, it's a good read but I am findng too much else to do lately so while it should be a quick read it's taking me a bit.
I have a bunch of books to read, but have been sidetracked with some of the really old (mostly British) books now available on project Gutenb, for free kindles. I am reading of all things, something a ala How to Settle Accounts with a Laundress.

Old 09-22-2015, 06:09 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
heading off to work now but happy to see Dawn posting. It's been a while- no?

Hi, sweets! Yeah, it's been a while -- I'm just not reading. I've been super busy with work and got back together with my boyfriend (such an odd word when you're, ahem, 50 years old), so I have absolutely no time right now.

Have a great day!

Old 09-22-2015, 07:18 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Barbara Michaels' "Stitches in Time" is showing itself insipid. Here I am on the Oregon Coast and my book is a dud.

DH just finished Michael Connelly's "The Burning Room" so I am going to try it. Otherwise, I am knitting with an audiobook yet to be determined.

Old 09-22-2015, 07:22 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,301,142 times
Evil Spirits : The Life of Oliver Reed

Old 09-22-2015, 08:45 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
Evil Spirits : The Life of Oliver Reed
I bet that is a good book. I first noticed Reed in "The Hunting Party" and it remains my favorite Reed movie.

I didn't know that he was an out of control alcoholic. So sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books