Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2015, 08:51 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times

Advertisements

I'm reading Sleeping Roses by RaShelle Workman. I have no idea why I bought it. It's a romantic suspense. I don't read romances. I do not like any of the characters and there are a few editorial mistakes but I want to know how it ends so I'll stick with it.

http://www.amazon.com/Sleeping-Roses...Sleeping+Roses
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 08:57 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I always read reviews. I don't always agree with them but usually I can get some sense of the credibility of the reviewer. If they can't spell, I dismiss them completely, rightly or wrongly.

But as far as this Fourth of July Creek, the writer is amazing. I have never heard of Smith Henderson, the writer, before and I don't think I have ever seen this book or the writer mentioned in this forum. I think that anyone who has enjoyed the way Donna Tartt writes, the careful way each sentence is crafted without being self-conscious or overly artsy about it, might like to read this book for the sheer beauty of the language. I am not far enough along to get a sense of the story though. I have been distracted by other stuff.

The writing has a staccato style, which suits the setting and the characters perfectly. I have rarely read a book where the words and the rhythm of the sentences themselves are part of the atmosphere of the book. Every page has something brilliant on it.

I will quote a bit to give you a sense of the words: "Her heart in its red and white cage, knocking just inches from his own, like two young prisoners tapping out simpleton Morse, I am here I am here I am here."

Another one: "She spanked her eyelashes at him..."

But he never over does it. It isn't florid or cute. I don't know about the story yet.

Fourth of July Creek by Smith Henderson

Marlow, you might like this one.
I just put it on my list. Thank you!

For no real reason at all, your description reminded me of a book I read and loved years ago called Fair and Tender Ladies by Lee Smith. It's an epistolary novel and the letters start when the girl/writer is very young and continue through old age. I've read it a couple of times and may be due for a reread. I've read other stuff by Smith but never liked it as much. (Now I realize that the reason I thought of it is probably because the author you talked about has "Smith" for a first name. Crazy brain connections.)

Old 09-22-2015, 10:13 AM

2,453 posts, read 3,604,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I'm reading Sleeping Roses by RaShelle Workman. I have no idea why I bought it. It's a romantic suspense. I don't read romances. I do not like any of the characters and there are a few editorial mistakes but I want to know how it ends so I'll stick with it.

Sleeping Roses, RaShelle Workman - Amazon.com
That's certainly happened to me. Didn't like what I was reading but had to find out what happened. Hostage to a bad book!

And, Netwit, I'm sorry but I'm still reeling from that "she spanked her eyelashes at him" quote. I'm afraid if I'd read that I would have "spanked" the book shut and resisted the urge to hurl it across the room.

Old 09-23-2015, 09:45 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post
That's certainly happened to me. Didn't like what I was reading but had to find out what happened. Hostage to a bad book!

And, Netwit, I'm sorry but I'm still reeling from that "she spanked her eyelashes at him" quote. I'm afraid if I'd read that I would have "spanked" the book shut and resisted the urge to hurl it across the room.
I can see why you would say that but that is part of a longer sentence in a drunken, film noire like scene, in which it worked beautifully.

Old 09-23-2015, 09:48 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
The Red Notebook by Antoine Laurain ,The little paris bookshop by nina George
Two of the best books I have read this year ..whoa that is saying something
cause I'm hard on books . I am very critical critic . LOL .

Old 09-23-2015, 12:04 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
The Red Notebook by Antoine Laurain ,The little paris bookshop by nina George
Two of the best books I have read this year ..whoa that is saying something
cause I'm hard on books . I am very critical critic . LOL .
I just downloaded The Little Paris Book Shop.

Old 09-23-2015, 02:17 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,604,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I can see why you would say that but that is part of a longer sentence in a drunken, film noire like scene, in which it worked beautifully.
That explains a lot! I'm quite fond of a particularly good turn of phrase and sometimes save them in my notes. Like this one. "When she had gone creaking away, in a shoes-and-corset concerto..."
I admire fine writing tremendously!

Old 09-23-2015, 07:02 PM

4,046 posts, read 2,130,139 times
Just finished The Possibilities by Kaui Hemmings, who wrote The Descendants. Loved it. I thought it accurately portrayed a mother's grief over losing her young adult son while never being maudlin. Writing was very good. Characters were unique. It was interesting to read what it is like to live in a resort town (in Colorado).

[SIZE=2]http://books.simonandschuster.com/The-Possibilities/Kaui-Hart-Hemmings/9781476725802

Just started Eileen, a first novel that is billed as a literary thriller (but no one is comparing it to Gone Girl! Stands on its own merits!)

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/16/bo...fegh.html?_r=0

I think it's going to be good.

Couldn't get through the new Brene Brown nonfiction book, Rising Strong.
[/SIZE]

Old 09-24-2015, 09:16 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
The Lowland by Jhumpa Lahiri is beautiful. Reminds me of Cutting for Stone. I'll be sad when I finish it.

Old 09-24-2015, 03:59 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,144,036 times
I finally got X by Sue Grafton. I love her books! I've been reading them since the 1980s. I wish I could remember them all better. I'll be able to read this pretty fast, because those Kinsey Milhone mysteries are always so interesting. I just started it last night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books