Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2015, 04:57 AM

43,638 posts, read 44,361,055 times

Advertisements

"Bronx Justice" by Joseph Teller.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2015, 08:07 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Geez, that DOES sound like a good read. I'm adding it TRL now.

I am a bit squeamish, but I will add it to my "Halloween" reads -- when I allow them "to come out a night."

That's cool about the text version of Shakespeare; whatever it takes to get our young minds reading is good to me.

Sarah Water's "The Little Stranger" is a lot slow in getting off the ground here, and if we take one more trip "rolling around the airport" she's going in the hangar for good.
LFM, please consider A Man Came Out of a Door in the Mountain by Adrianne Harun for your Halloween reading list. I'll even mail you a real copy! It's spooky and also very moving.

From Amazon:
Quote:
In this mysterious and chilling novel, girls, mostly Native, are vanishing from the sides of a notorious highway in the isolated Pacific Northwest. Leo Kreutzer and his friends are barely touched by these disappearances—until a series of enigmatic strangers arrive in their remote mountain town, beguiling and bewitching them. It seems as if the devil himself has appeared among them.
It's one of the best things I've read in the past year.

Old 09-28-2015, 09:21 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
Iam adding a couple of those mentioned to my TBRL.

Old 09-28-2015, 12:37 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
I finished Fourth of July Creek and I've been trying to think how I feel about it because it took me a long time to finish it. I have a bad cold/flu and that may have effected my perception but I think that the story does not live up to the writing. In one article about the book, the writer said that he had been writing two different stories and then he ended up combining them and I think maybe that's it. The two stories don't have enough to connect them but it is a first novel and I will definitely be checking to see what else he is writing. The two stories are kind of parallel stories but it still doesn't quite work for me.

Old 09-28-2015, 08:21 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
LFM, please consider A Man Came Out of a Door in the Mountain by Adrianne Harun for your Halloween reading list. I'll even mail you a real copy! It's spooky and also very moving. ... It's one of the best things I've read in the past year.
Thanks for the recommend. It's at our local library, and I just reserved a copy.

Old 09-29-2015, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Thanks for the recommend. It's at our local library, and I just reserved a copy.
I probably oversold it, but I do hope you enjoy it.

I finished The Lowland by Jhumpa Lahiri and highly recommend it. The writing is beautiful and the story is moving and sad. As I said earlier, it reminded me of Cutting for Stone. It's set in India and the U.S. and the story spans the lives of the characters.

Old 09-29-2015, 08:25 AM

16 posts, read 10,643 times
My most recent read that was added to my favorites list was Bird Box. If you're a sucker for dystopia like I am, this is one of those "up til 5am can't put it down" reads. If you read it and liked it, maybe throw some suggestions my way!

Old 09-29-2015, 08:57 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
I went to the library last night and picked up A Man Came Out Of A Door In The Mountain as well as Abandon. Will be finishing A Ballad for Sallie first though.

Old 09-29-2015, 12:14 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
LFM, please consider A Man Came Out of a Door in the Mountain by Adrianne Harun for your Halloween reading list. I'll even mail you a real copy! It's spooky and also very moving.

From Amazon:

It's one of the best things I've read in the past year.

Harun was described as the heir apparent to Louise Erdrich by the NYT so I downloaded from my library. I should like this one.

Old 09-29-2015, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
Harun was described as the heir apparent to Louise Erdrich by the NYT so I downloaded from my library. I should like this one.
Now I'm feeling some pressure. I hope that everyone who looks at it likes it.

At first it's a little hard to figure out who is who. But it doesn't take too many pages to get on top of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books