Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2015, 07:09 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post
Just finished The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin. Any avid reader/book lover will probably LOVE this book! Truly a delightful book with a charmingly grumpy bookstore owner as the main character.
Apparently this is true. I just went out onto Goodreads to add it to my TRL, and found NINE separate books (eight NOT by the author) in the results. The eight are all about the book.

I've never seen that before!

I've been struggling to find the time to read. Between my volunteer work, my social appointments, and my genealogy research I have been really stretched for time. If only I didn't have to sleep a full night to function!

Meanwhile, Lincoln Child's "The Forgotten Room" is better than the last book I attempted, but isn't really keeping me from putting it down to go onto other things, and "A Man Came Out of A Door in the Mountain" just popped up available for pickup at my library.

Life is good when I don't know which of my hobbies to pursue next!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2015, 07:37 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Apparently this is true. I just went out onto Goodreads to add it to my TRL, and found NINE separate books (eight NOT by the author) in the results. The eight are all about the book.

I've never seen that before!

I've been struggling to find the time to read. Between my volunteer work, my social appointments, and my genealogy research I have been really stretched for time. If only I didn't have to sleep a full night to function!

Meanwhile, Lincoln Child's "The Forgotten Room" is better than the last book I attempted, but isn't really keeping me from putting it down to go onto other things, and "A Man Came Out of A Door in the Mountain" just popped up available for pickup at my library.

Life is good when I don't know which of my hobbies to pursue next!

Here's what I posted awhile ago about Zevin's book.
The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin. I loved this book. Zevin is predominantly a YA author, but this an adult novel. Agreat summer read. It is delightful, charming and thoroughly enjoyable. Both humorous and sad at the same time. Excellent writing, wonderful story and Zevin paints beautifully drawn characters.

"Why is any one book different from any other book? They are different, A.J. decides, because they are. We have to look inside many. We have to believe. We agree to be disappointed, sometimes so that we can be exhilarated every now and again."

Old 10-02-2015, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
"We have to look inside many. We have to believe. We agree to be disappointed, sometimes so that we can be exhilarated every now and again."
That's me!

Old 10-02-2015, 06:42 PM

2,163 posts, read 1,549,345 times
I REALLY need to finish the final book of The Dark Tower series (it's been so long I'm just gonna start it over), but I'll be damned if I haven't started re-reading Patricia Highsmith's 'The Talented Mr. Ripley' for what has to be the fifth of sixth time in ten years and I've been flipping through the text pages of Alan Moore's 'League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: The Black Dossier' again.

Old 10-03-2015, 06:31 AM

Happy Saturday, friends and fellow readers!

Yesterday was a sewing day at home so I started "The Winter People" by Jennifer McMahon. It is PERFECT for my ghostly tales October reading, and kept me at my sewing machine longer than intended just so I could keep listening. I'm already planning on listening to it as I knit later today.

Meanwhile, I'm still picking away at "The Forgotten Room." Weird: when I listened to my first Douglas Preston / Lincoln Child book I assumed that as the senior writer of the collaboration Lincoln Child would be the better writer -- which is why I picked this one off the shelves. Frankly, now I believe that Preston is a more accomplished story teller. Child's book seems to be going somewhere -- certainly faster than the last book I attempted, but he does take his time about it. Probably this will be the last of his.

Old 10-03-2015, 11:08 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,806,194 times
I'm reading David Benioff's City of Thieves, which is outstanding.

Set during the siege of Leningrad, it follows the mission of a teen and a young soldier, arrested for looting and desertion, respectively. Normally both charges would warrant summary execution, but a colonel's daughter is getting married the following week and the colonel insists there by a wedding cake. Cakes require eggs, and eggs are an exceedingly rare commodity in the starving besieged city. But if Lev and Koyla can find a dozen eggs, all charges will be dropped and their ration cards returned.

It's been some time since I've been this impressed by a first-time read. I highly recommend it!

The original New York Times book review:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/06/bo...an-t.html?_r=0

Old 10-03-2015, 12:48 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post

Great book

I have two books that need to go back to the library as they have other holds on them. This weekend I will be starting.

The Little Paris Bookshop and Did You Ever Have a Family

I am also reading Gray Mountain for a buddy read which I was supposed to read last month

Hopefully I can finish them all before my library run on Thursday.

Old 10-03-2015, 02:36 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post

Set during the siege of Leningrad, it follows the mission of a teen and a young soldier, arrested for looting and desertion, respectively. Normally both charges would warrant summary execution, but a colonel's daughter is getting married the following week and the colonel insists there by a wedding cake. Cakes require eggs, and eggs are an exceedingly rare commodity in the starving besieged city. But if Lev and Koyla can find a dozen eggs, all charges will be dropped and their ration cards returned.

It's been some time since I've been this impressed by a first-time read. I highly recommend it!

The original New York Times book review:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/06/bo...an-t.html?_r=0
Excellent book!

Old 10-03-2015, 02:46 PM

2,026 posts, read 333,924 times
Having a hard time reading because I'm super busy...but currently reading 3 Promises.

"In his blockbuster book The Law of the Garbage Truck David J. Pollay showed how to deflect the negativity that derails our goals and leaves us stressed and miserable. Now, in this inspiring follow-up, Pollay explains how making three simple promises to yourself—“to find joy every day, do what you love, and make a difference”—can radically enhance every aspect of your life. Illustrating his points through memorable, personal stories, Pollay makes it simple to practice transformative strategies that help us achieve fulfillment."

Old 10-03-2015, 02:56 PM

1,828 posts, read 3,458,289 times
"The Santangelos"- Jackie Collins
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books