Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2015, 07:23 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
I have two books that need to go back to the library as they have other holds on them. This weekend I will be starting.

The Little Paris Bookshop and Did You Ever Have a Family

I am also reading Gray Mountain for a buddy read which I was supposed to read last month

Hopefully I can finish them all before my library run on Thursday.
Is that humanly possible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2015, 09:35 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
I'm reading David Benioff's City of Thieves, which is outstanding.

Set during the siege of Leningrad, it follows the mission of a teen and a young soldier, arrested for looting and desertion, respectively. Normally both charges would warrant summary execution, but a colonel's daughter is getting married the following week and the colonel insists there by a wedding cake. Cakes require eggs, and eggs are an exceedingly rare commodity in the starving besieged city. But if Lev and Koyla can find a dozen eggs, all charges will be dropped and their ration cards returned.

It's been some time since I've been this impressed by a first-time read. I highly recommend it!

The original New York Times book review:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/06/bo...an-t.html?_r=0

Yep- one of my favorite books ever! If you like short stories, David Benioff's collection, When the Nines Roll Over, is terrific!

Old 10-04-2015, 08:49 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
I'm reading David Benioff's City of Thieves, which is outstanding.

Set during the siege of Leningrad, it follows the mission of a teen and a young soldier, arrested for looting and desertion, respectively. Normally both charges would warrant summary execution, but a colonel's daughter is getting married the following week and the colonel insists there by a wedding cake. Cakes require eggs, and eggs are an exceedingly rare commodity in the starving besieged city. But if Lev and Koyla can find a dozen eggs, all charges will be dropped and their ration cards returned.

It's been some time since I've been this impressed by a first-time read. I highly recommend it!

The original New York Times book review:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/06/bo...an-t.html?_r=0
Excellent book.

Old 10-05-2015, 04:01 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Is that humanly possible?

I'm working on it. Tomorrow we are getting two pallets of sod delivered so I really don't think I will be doing much reading after today.

I finished Did You Ever Have a Family by Bill Clegg. What a beautiful story about love, loss, family, grief, and the resilience to move forward. It shows us through quite a few different people how the threads of each of our lives are interwoven with other's lives. It is a wonderful story.

I am halfway through The Little Paris Bookshop. I loved the beginning and now I am along for the ride.

Old 10-05-2015, 04:12 AM

5 posts, read 3,203 times
"Dune" by Frank Herbert

Old 10-05-2015, 06:37 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
Finished A Ballad for Sallie by Judy Alter last night and started My Grandmother Asked Me To Tell You She's Sorry by Fredrik Backman. So far so good. Yet another busy 2 weeks ahead but hoping I can get it read this week as I have 2 other library books to read too.

Old 10-05-2015, 08:38 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
I'm reading Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King and ... I'm not sure. It's a straight-up detective story about a retired cop who is contacted by a murderer who wants to taunt him. So far no horror and nothing supernatural. It's not my usual genre, but the characters are interesting enough and there's a lot of suspense. But it's very dark and there's a creepy incestuous relationship that turns my stomach. I'll probably finish it but don't know if I'll read the next one involving the same retired cop.

Old 10-05-2015, 09:15 AM

2,453 posts, read 3,604,506 times
Don't remember who recommended After the Parade by Lori Ostlund but it was an excellent read. Great writing just flows and the story of a 40-year-old man who escapes his life to start anew is fascinating. I stayed up till 2AM to finish this book.

Tried The Idea of Love by Patti Callahan Henry and just couldn't do it. I should have paid attention to the cover which shows a diaphanous pink gown. It shouted "insipid reading ahead." True.

Now I'm reading Mrs. Sinclair's Suitcase by Louise Walters. Not sure I really care about these characters yet but I'll give it a go. A woman finds a letter tucked into a book that brings her grandmother's life story into question and searches for answers.

Old 10-05-2015, 10:55 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
I'm reading [i]Fields of Fire[i] by James Webb. It's an older Vietnam novel, and I thought the description said it was required reading in US schools. Overall, readers gave it high marks but although it initially grabbed me, at 1/4 in, I'm finding the writing dated. I paid for it, and so I'm trying to finish it but it is starting to feel like a chore.

Is anyone planning on reading Patrick Kennedy's book which came out today? I saw the interview he did on 60 Minutes. The book is pretty expensive. I did read the sample but I'm not sure I'm interested enough to buy it. However, the more torturous I find the Vietnam book, the more interested I become in something else.

Old 10-05-2015, 11:43 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
I'm rereading Escape by Carolyn Jessop. She managed to escape the FLDS with her eight children.
I like this book even though the life in the FLDS was terror filled. It ends happily and Carolyn's tenacious journey is interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books