Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2015, 08:31 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,252,678 times

Advertisements

I just downloaded The Secret Chord by Geraldine Brooks about the life of King David.
Brooks is one of my favorite authors. I thoroughly enjoyed Anthony Marra's first book and on the hold list for his latest book of short stories The Tsar of Love and Techno.

Marlow, I think you liked Marra's A Constellation of Vital Phenomena. You might like this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2015, 08:53 AM

2,497 posts, read 3,403,730 times
Re-reading Shooting the Sun by Max Byrd. Set in the late 1800's, it has a lot of adventure, mystery/suspense, history, and a bit of romance. An expedition heading west to photograph a solar eclipse has more than just the eclipse on its agenda. I *love* this book. Just received Max Byrd's The Paris Deadline and am looking forward to it. He is an incredible writer and has a dry sense of humor.

Old 10-08-2015, 10:15 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,700,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
I just downloaded The Secret Chord by Geraldine Brooks about the life of King David.
Brooks is one of my favorite authors. I thoroughly enjoyed Anthony Marra's first book and on the hold list for his latest book of short stories The Tsar of Love and Techno.

Marlow, I think you liked Marra's A Constellation of Vital Phenomena. You might like this one.
I did love Marra's first book and I heard about his new one on the radio yesterday. I'm definitely going to put it on my list. Thanks for the reminder.

Old 10-08-2015, 02:24 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post
Re-reading Shooting the Sun by Max Byrd. Set in the late 1800's, it has a lot of adventure, mystery/suspense, history, and a bit of romance. An expedition heading west to photograph a solar eclipse has more than just the eclipse on its agenda. I *love* this book. Just received Max Byrd's The Paris Deadline and am looking forward to it. He is an incredible writer and has a dry sense of humor.
Thanks, I added both to my "For Later" list, which is nearer in queue than my TRL.

I am nearing the end of "The Devil's Breath" and already know I am going to be reading more of Max's adventures -- though truthfully it would be more believable if Max were older than 15.

I am not as taken with "A Man Came Out of A Door in the Mountain" by Adrianne Harun. I'm reading it, but it seems so despairing that it's very easy for me to set aside.

Old 10-09-2015, 08:27 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,700,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Thanks, I added both to my "For Later" list, which is nearer in queue than my TRL.

I am nearing the end of "The Devil's Breath" and already know I am going to be reading more of Max's adventures -- though truthfully it would be more believable if Max were older than 15.

I am not as taken with "A Man Came Out of A Door in the Mountain" by Adrianne Harun. I'm reading it, but it seems so despairing that it's very easy for me to set aside.
It is dark and despairing. But I loved the mythical portrayal of evil. And, TBH, I can't remember the ending, but I think it ended on a higher note.

I finished Mr. Mercedes and I'm on the fence about whether I'll read the next one in what I believe is a trilogy. My complaint about Stephen King is that his characters tend to be caricatures. They're either really, really good or really, really bad. OTOH, the plot was suspenseful and moved very quickly and sometimes that's all I want.

Next up is Gilead, by Marilynne Robinson, that I learned about on here. Hope to start it this evening.

Old 10-09-2015, 09:53 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,671,307 times
Just finished........
"Leveling the Playing Field: The Story of the Syracuse Eight", by David Marc

Reading, now........
"The Great Bridge," by David McCullough

Old 10-09-2015, 07:30 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
It is dark and despairing. But I loved the mythical portrayal of evil. And, TBH, I can't remember the ending, but I think it ended on a higher note.

I finished Mr. Mercedes and I'm on the fence about whether I'll read the next one in what I believe is a trilogy. My complaint about Stephen King is that his characters tend to be caricatures. They're either really, really good or really, really bad. OTOH, the plot was suspenseful and moved very quickly and sometimes that's all I want.

Next up is Gilead, by Marilynne Robinson, that I learned about on here. Hope to start it this evening.
I've kept on with "A Man Came Out of a Door in the Mountain" and decided I will probably see it through. For me it hits uncomfortably close to the truth of too many situations I've witnessed, and I have to learn to face life as it is sometime!

I have my opinions about Stephen King, and they are not laudatory.

I want to know what you think of "Gilead." I have the audiobook on my Zune and each time I look at it and then choose something else. I don't know why I'm so ambivalent about it.

Meanwhile, I started listening to Jo Nesbo's "Police." It's the last of his Harry Hole series and I will miss the abrasive, drunken detective that has a big heart and always gets the bad guy.

Old 10-10-2015, 11:24 AM

1,163 posts, read 1,236,230 times
I finally got the sense to get a library card and rented out A Man Came out of A Door in the Mountain onto my ereader and ive liked it so far it is dark and mysterious in a supernatural way, a perfect Halloween read Im about 30% through and will keep posting about it on here as I go along

Old 10-10-2015, 07:39 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,427,155 times
11/22/63 by Stephen King

Old 10-11-2015, 01:40 PM

414 posts, read 911,121 times
Just finished Bull Mountain. Good read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books