Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2015, 10:50 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times

Advertisements

I'm reading The Vanished Man by Jeffrey Deaver. It's about a murdering magician. So far, so good.
He (the author and not the murdering magician) has never disappointed me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2015, 06:06 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
I am almost finished with We Never Asked for Wings by Vanessa Diffenbaugh. I was hoping for another good one since I really liked her The Language of Flowers. Sadly I do not think this one is very good.

I also just started Being Mortal by Atul Gawande which I can see now it going to be a favorite of mine

Old 10-12-2015, 11:36 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
I barely started Gilead and I think I'll like it. But I need to settle down with a clear head to enjoy it and that's not going to happen today.

Old 10-12-2015, 02:12 PM

8,665 posts, read 5,843,617 times
Finished and loved~The Bishop’s Wife by Mette Ivie Harrison Gripping murder mystery within the Mormon community. All the 'god-talk' was hard for me as an atheist to take, but due to the setting ,I cannot fault it for that.
I really ,really liked Linda, the bishop's wife. I had to admire the good sense that she and two of her sons showed in the ability to see that their god does not even protect innocent children in this life, despite the malarkey that is preached to the contrary about god's love and power, and being in control!
The story immediately grabbed me, and I felt like it was me seeking the answers, because Linda had exactly the same thoughts ,suspicions and doubts that I would have had. I also would have done the same things she did.
I had no idea where this story was going, and the twists and turns were surprising and shocking!This book was an emotional roller-coaster ride. There are characters that I love and characters that I detest, the same as Linda.
I normally avoid books that contain some of the elements that this book contains, but I did not see them coming, so I was surprised by them. Since it doesn't go into detail, I was able to finish and do not regret reading this book at all.
It does an excellent job of illustrating the vast difference between how men and women are viewed and treated within the church hierarchy not just in Mormonism, but in all religions!
Highly recommended for mystery and 'True Crime' readers.

Now reading~Dark Bayou by Nancy K. Duplechain
Got this as a Kindle freebie 2 years ago. Nice and creepy and enjoying reading about the south Louisiana/Cajun culture.

Old 10-12-2015, 06:44 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
I just finished listening to Jo Nesbo's "Police." It's the most recent of his Harry Hole series, and I hope it isn't his last. I would really miss Harry, and I am glad to report he's sobered up and married his true love, the beautiful Raquel.

I'm on the last fifty pages of "A Man Came Out of A Door in the Mountain" and am still waiting to like it. Perhaps I just need to read some rosy fantasy but this story is just to close to the reality of people's lives I've witnessed in my own life and it has not been pretty enough to want to revisit. I never understand why people just don't pick up and leave a situation that is so dire. It worked for me.

My next up is Deborah Coates' "Wide Open," an actual ghost story -- just in time for All Hallow's Eve.

Old 10-12-2015, 08:37 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
I finished Reconstructing Amelia and concluded that the author has watched way too many Lifetime Channel movies. There was a supposed suicide, a private school, wealth, question of paternity, devious mother of a private school girl, secret club, lawyer parents, caring but questioned headmaster, same sex teen relationship, texts and more than enough current pop culture references to go around.

Bleh...

Old 10-13-2015, 05:36 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
Finished and loved~The Bishop’s Wife by Mette Ivie Harrison Gripping murder mystery within the Mormon community. All the 'god-talk' was hard for me as an atheist to take, but due to the setting ,I cannot fault it for that.
I really ,really liked Linda, the bishop's wife. I had to admire the good sense that she and two of her sons showed in the ability to see that their god does not even protect innocent children in this life, despite the malarkey that is preached to the contrary about god's love and power, and being in control!
The story immediately grabbed me, and I felt like it was me seeking the answers, because Linda had exactly the same thoughts ,suspicions and doubts that I would have had. I also would have done the same things she did.
I had no idea where this story was going, and the twists and turns were surprising and shocking!This book was an emotional roller-coaster ride. There are characters that I love and characters that I detest, the same as Linda.
I normally avoid books that contain some of the elements that this book contains, but I did not see them coming, so I was surprised by them. Since it doesn't go into detail, I was able to finish and do not regret reading this book at all.
It does an excellent job of illustrating the vast difference between how men and women are viewed and treated within the church hierarchy not just in Mormonism, but in all religions!
Highly recommended for mystery and 'True Crime' readers.

Now reading~Dark Bayou by Nancy K. Duplechain
Got this as a Kindle freebie 2 years ago. Nice and creepy and enjoying reading about the south Louisiana/Cajun culture.
Good to see you back.

Thanks for the review. I have it on my library list.

I am reading Being Mortal: Medicine and What Matters in the End which is a fantastic book. It is written by a doctor who tells us why our system and even families are failing the older people in our society. It shows that on our society we are more concerned about seniors being "safe" as opposed to living any semblance of an independent life. It reminds me of how we think it is OK to keep animals in captivity just because they may live a longer and healthier life. That is just an excuse and sadly that is not living a life.

I now know what to look for if I ever end up alone.

Old 10-14-2015, 03:49 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,843,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Good to see you back.

Thanks for the review. I have it on my library list.

I am reading Being Mortal: Medicine and What Matters in the End which is a fantastic book. It is written by a doctor who tells us why our system and even families are failing the older people in our society. It shows that on our society we are more concerned about seniors being "safe" as opposed to living any semblance of an independent life. It reminds me of how we think it is OK to keep animals in captivity just because they may live a longer and healthier life. That is just an excuse and sadly that is not living a life.

I now know what to look for if I ever end up alone.
Thank you, I think you will really enjoy The Bishop's Wife. Being Mortal sounds good...added it to my
list. Dark Bayou was a good, creepy, supernatural/paranormal fantasy. I want to read the other two books in the trilogy.

Old 10-14-2015, 04:05 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
I started "Wide Open" by Deborah Coates and so far so good. While knitting, I am listening to Lisa Scottoline's "Think Twice."

Old 10-14-2015, 07:54 PM

99,524 posts, read 4,490,016 times
"Suicide Med", by Freida McFadden
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books