Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2015, 08:14 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,348,993 times

Advertisements

I finished My Grandmother Asked Me To Tell You She's Sorry the other day. I really enjoyed this one. It felt kind of long at times, but I liked how it was told with the fairy tales being life lessons for Elsa. It was nice that it wasn't first person from Elsa's point of view.

I am now reading Still Waters by Viveca Sten. Swedish author, Kindle First for this month I believe. As I am Swedish, I enjoy reading fiction books set in Sweden. I'm not sure if this is her first novel or an early novel of hers or if it is just the translation to English (it was published in Sweden many years ago) but it seems a bit unsophisticated let's say. I am enjoying it so far, though. Feels like a faster read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2015, 09:02 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times
QUOTE=fromupthere;41567975]I finished My Grandmother Asked Me To Tell You She's Sorry the other day. I really enjoyed this one. It felt kind of long at times, but I liked how it was told with the fairy tales being life lessons for Elsa. It was nice that it wasn't first person from Elsa's point of view..[/quote]

I liked it, too. I did have to page back and read some of the fairy tales to put them in perspective.

Old 10-15-2015, 10:14 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,348,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
QUOTE=fromupthere;41567975]I finished My Grandmother Asked Me To Tell You She's Sorry the other day. I really enjoyed this one. It felt kind of long at times, but I liked how it was told with the fairy tales being life lessons for Elsa. It was nice that it wasn't first person from Elsa's point of view..
I liked it, too. I did have to page back and read some of the fairy tales to put them in perspective.[/quote]

I probably should have done that with some of the stuff from the beginning, but I was anxious to start something new so I didn't. It was really cool though how everything fit together.

Old 10-15-2015, 07:36 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
I am reading Run by Ann Patchett. When I first started it, I thought I had read it previously, but if I did, I didn't make it very far because after the first 30 pages, it didn't seem familiar anymore. It's good. Not great. I haven't read an Ann Patchett book in quite a while and I am reminded how much I enjoy her writing.

Old 10-15-2015, 09:24 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,870,716 times
All the Pretty Horses

Old 10-17-2015, 08:13 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,205 times
Hello, is anyone out there?

Just finished Deborah Coates' "Wide Open." It was okay. Just okay. Still, I might find myself reading the next in the series if I run out of other options.

Next up: Peter Straub's "A Dark Matter." I wanted his "Shadowland" but the library has only one copy and it isn't due until the 21st. If I am lucky it will become available and I will move on to that one, or not.

Where is everyone, anyway? Too much Oktoberfest???

Old 10-17-2015, 10:33 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,316,797 times
Here i am. I have been busy getting the farm ready for winter and I am getting a new kitchen if I don't talk myself out of it when I think of how disorganized everything will be for a few days.

I have been struggling with reading - I did finish a local town history book and I am or was reading a university press book, a deconstructed family memoir - they had to deconstruct the family and use the word 'narrate' a lot in order for it to get published. I got annoyed by how many times the writer described his father's version of life as a 'narration' and I stopped reading about halfway through after a dream I had in which I was discussing the writer's use of the word 'narration' at a dinner party. It was too much. The family didn't seem nearly as complicated as the writer wanted to suggest and it had no business intruding into my dreams.

And then I organised my kindle into the books I had actually bought but not read and I just finished Riding Lessons by Sara Gruen. I believe it was her first book. The story moved fast, maybe too fast, and the 38-year old protagonist is the most immature adult I have ever met. Hardly a page goes by when she isn't having a tantrum. All but the biggest fans of horses or of the writer should probably skip this one.

I don't know what I'm reading next.

Old 10-18-2015, 04:44 AM

4,724 posts, read 4,415,751 times
I was going to post this morning, saying that I am here and checking in but I, for whatever reason, have not been really reading. I am "working" on a sort of self help book I mentioned before that came quite recommended (and while it seems pretty good, I have just been dragging my feet reading it)... I hope to get inspired again to read more.
I got a kindle a while ago and while I totally prefer reading on it, I am cheap and so far havent purchased anything for it. I have either downloaded free stuff from project gutenberg or from the library free stuff. Those are all of the old ones that are no longer copyrighted or whatever the term is. I have enjoyed some gems through that and have a few more stashed on the kindle for future reading.
As far as current books, I have gotten a few from the library but most have so many holds so I may have to break down and actually buy one or two to have on kindle. I just got THE SECRET HISTORY from the library on kindle after being on reserve for quite a while. I know it is really a wonderful book and I want to read it but I havent even looked at it. Maybe I will......
I am in a book club and had been reading a book each month for that but for some reason the next 2 selections dont call my name.
Well, I wonder if more than a few of the regulars are experiencing something similar.
I do plan to be back reading and posting away hopefully within a few weeks again but for now, it's just not happening.

Old 10-18-2015, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
... The family didn't seem nearly as complicated as the writer wanted to suggest and it had no business intruding into my dreams. ... I don't know what I'm reading next.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
I was going to post this morning, saying that I am here and checking in but I, for whatever reason, have not been really reading. ... I do plan to be back reading and posting away hopefully within a few weeks again but for now, it's just not happening.
Well, as long as you are both well -- it's all I can ask for.

Based on my reading experiences over the past few books, I've certainly thought of just not and see if I could manage. I made it through only a few pages of Peter Straub's "A Dark Matter." The narrator of the story had such a circuitous way of "speaking" -- it reminded me of a puppy trying to play with a toy but constantly having to chase its tail in the process -- one word forward and then a loop de loo!

I think "The Absent One" by Jussi Adler-Olsen is next. It's part of his Department Q series and I liked the previous two that I read. I would prefer a ghost story, but that doesn't seem to be in the cards for now.

Netwit, go for the kitchen job. It may be disorderly (which I HATE so I don't know how I am saying this), but in the end you will have a "spanking" new kitchen! (Yes, my use of "spanking" was a reference to a certain characters eyes. )

Mayvenne, don't work too hard on yourself. I like you just the way you are.

Old 10-18-2015, 06:14 PM

Lauren Oliver's "Rooms." There was nothing wrong with "The Absent One" by Jussi Adler-Olsen, but I decided it was October and I needed to read ghost stories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books