Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2015, 08:18 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,604,506 times

Advertisements

No ghost stories here but I've been held hostage - to a book - again. Was out of town for a few days so grabbed a book from my stash to take with me and it has annoyed me no end but of course I have to find out what happens. It's The Gilly Salt Sisters by Tiffany Baker. A lot of claptrap about the perhaps magical qualities of the salt in a small town, how it affects lives and futures, plus add in tangled relationships and way too much imagery, allegories, allusions and blah blah blah. I will persevere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2015, 05:59 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,844,099 times
Just finished the awesome YA-coming of age~The Haymeadow by Gary Paulsen
Fourteen-year-old John Barron is asked, like his father and grandfather before him, to spend the summer taking care of their sheep in the haymeadow. Six thousand sheep. John will be alone, except for two horses, four dogs, and all those sheep.
John doesn't feel up to the task, but he hopes that if he can accomplish it, he will finally please his father. But John finds that the adage "things just happen to sheep" is true when the river floods, coyotes attack, and one dog's feet get cut. Through it all he must rely on his own resourcefulness, ingenuity, and talents to survive this summer in the haymeadow.

Now going to re-read~This Matter of Marriage by Debbie Macomber, because I enjoyed it so much before.

Old 10-19-2015, 06:58 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
I'm reading Maternal Harbor by Marie F. Martin. It's a kindle freebie and not my usual genre. I'm enjoying it and I like the characters. It takes place in the Seattle area and that is one of my favorite areas of the country.

I've been in a reading slump and I have no idea why. It may very well be due to the changing of the seasons.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...al-text&sr=1-1

Old 10-19-2015, 09:28 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
I gave up on Gilead, but may try it another time. It's a beautifully written reminiscence of an old preacher to his young son. Lots to think about in that book and I just can't get my brain to settle down enough right now.

Not sure what's up next. Many, many titles on my TBR, but nothing in the house right now. May have make a trip to the library this evening.

Old 10-19-2015, 01:19 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I'm reading Maternal Harbor by Marie F. Martin. It's a kindle freebie and not my usual genre. I'm enjoying it and I like the characters. It takes place in the Seattle area and that is one of my favorite areas of the country.

I've been in a reading slump and I have no idea why. It may very well be due to the changing of the seasons.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...al-text&sr=1-1

Thanks for that. I downloaded it

Hmm…same here. I feel like I am in slow mo reading mode. I am still reading The Picture of Dorian Gray and I am almost finished I read Rubbernecker, a very good mystery about a young man with Aspergers who wants to find out "where" his father went when he died. In doing so he goes to college to study anatomy and stumbles across a murder.

The second book I finished was Being Mortal, which was an excellent book that looks at how our health care is towards the end of our lives. It leaves a lot to be desired and there is room for vast improvement. The book showed me what to look out for as I age, what I need to know, and the questions I should ask myself when deciding what to do, last week.

Next up is a book I won, Circling the Sun by the same author as The Paris Wife which I have not read yet.

Last edited by ylisa7; 10-19-2015 at 02:48 PM..

Old 10-20-2015, 08:19 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Just finished "Rooms" by Lauren Oliver and loved it. It's a whole 'nuther kind of ghost story, told by the ghosts. If I were the type to re-read books, I might even re-read it more than once.

Now I am trying to decide between "Ghost Moon" by Heather Graham, or "The Ghost of the Mary Celeste" by Valerie Martin. I'm drawn more to Graham's, but I just discovered it's the third in the trilogy and the first is available in our library system. Decisions, decisions...

Meanwhile, I am still listening to Lisa Scottoline's "Think Twice." Again, I've learned that this is the last in the series, and the protagonist is trapped in a box while her twin is taking over her life. It's not looking good for a sequel...

Old 10-20-2015, 10:52 AM

12,192 posts, read 2,961,959 times
A Natural History of the Senses by Diane Ackerman. It's the kind of non-fiction book you can really sink your teeth into. It's packed with interesting tidbits of information. There are sections for each sense, taste, sight, smell, hearing, and at the end synesthesia, the blending of senses. I especially enjoyed the section about hearing that covered music. A very interesting read that I recommend to anyone who likes non-fiction books.

Old 10-20-2015, 05:52 PM

8,665 posts, read 5,844,099 times
My first true crime[about Ted Bundy], not sure I'll be able to handle it.... The Stranger Beside Me by Ann Rule.

Old 10-20-2015, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post

Next up is a book I won, Circling the Sun by the same author as The Paris Wife which I have not read yet.
Is that the one about Beryl Markham? I've read the autobiography West With the Night. She is the woman in Out of Africa who was having an affair with Denis (Robert Redford) behind Karin's back. Let me know what you think of this new book when you are finished with it, please. I may have to read it, too.

Old 10-20-2015, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
My first true crime[about Ted Bundy], not sure I'll be able to handle it.... The Stranger Beside Me by Ann Rule.
That is an excellent book and the first Ann Rule book that I read. It remains one of my favorites along with Small Sacrifices. Rule was a gifted investigator and writer. She died recently and I'll miss new books from her. I have read all her books. Stranger was made into a TV movie years ago. It's a good movie. Tom Harmon as Ted Bundy. I can never see him without thinking of Bundy because he nailed the role so convincingly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books