Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2015, 07:38 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Have a bodacious time on your vacation, Dawn. Use sunscreen so you won't be burned. Eat everything that you want and let go. You've earned this.
Thank you, lovely lady!!! xxo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2015, 06:48 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Oh, hi! I know you guys! ... I never learned how to pack lightly. (I'm kidding. They're on my Kindle.)
Yay! Dawn's back! Dawn's back!

Oh, Dawn's gone again?

Have fun on that beach, reading or not. Bring back great stories of your own.

Old 10-23-2015, 07:06 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post

Oh, Dawn's gone again?

Bwahahahaha!!!!!

Nice to "see" you back, Dawn! Have fun on vacation!

Old 10-23-2015, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post

Oh, Dawn's gone again?

Hahaha! Will do. Thank you! xxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
Bwahahahaha!!!!!

Nice to "see" you back, Dawn! Have fun on vacation!
Thank you! xxo

Old 10-23-2015, 08:08 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Oh, hi! I know you guys!

I recently finished All This Life by Joshua Mohr. Well, no, I didn't actually finish it. I started it. I got about halfway through. I couldn't stand it anymore. I stopped.

Now I'm reading Fates and Furies by Lauren Groff. I pretty much hate the writing style. I don't mind staccato but this. Is. Too. Much. Staccato. But I'm interested enough in the story to (hopefully) see it through. I'm at 38% now. I don't think that the story is everyone's cup of tea, but there's something about their (Mathilde and Lancelot -- I'm not even joking; those are their names) marriage that is ringing very true to me and I want to see how they resolve it.

I'm leaving on vacation on Tuesday (YAY!!!). I'll be gone for two weeks and I hope to learn that, in fact, I *do* like reading on the beach. (That hasn't been the case before, but I'm always optimistic.) I'm bringing along Did You Ever Have a Family (thanks, Pinetreelover, for that rec.), The Splendid Things We Planned, The Center of Winter, and Between Gods. Yup, there's that optimism again. No, I know I won't read *all* of them, but I never learned how to pack lightly. (I'm kidding. They're on my Kindle.)
Yay!!! Dawn's back! So happy to see you again! And you brought new titles for my TBR!

Speaking of, I went to the library yesterday, and despite all the very interesting books on my TBR, I picked up 3 things I'd never heard of:

The Soul of the Octopus: A Surprising Exploration Into the Wonder of Consciousness by Sy Montgomery

Amazon.com: The Soul of an Octopus: A Surprising Exploration into the Wonder of Consciousness (9781451697711): Sy Montgomery: Books

Six Suspects, by Vikas Swarup (by the man who wrote Slumdog Millionaire).

Six Suspects: Vikas Swarup: 9781615239849: Amazon.com: Books

How to Start a Fire by Lisa Lutz (who wrote The Spellman Files).

How to Start a Fire: Lisa Lutz: 9780544411630: Amazon.com: Books

Last edited by Marlow; 10-23-2015 at 08:21 AM..

Old 10-23-2015, 08:11 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
"Longitude", by Dava Sobel. Better-than-average read in the genre of science-history.

I've been disappointed by my other reading during my servitude in cd-gitmo. Tim Parks' "Europa" held out some promise as an amusing read, but failed to hold my interest.

Cant remember if I mentioned it before, but J M Coetzee's "Waiting for the Barbarians" is a good and relevant book.
I've picked that up a couple of times but haven't ever actually started it. For some reason, these days I can only seem to do easy straight-forward books, but it's still on the list.

Old 10-23-2015, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Yay!!! Dawn's back! So happy to see you again! And you brought new titles for my TBR!
Thank you!

I'm sorry to have added to your TBR list, especially since I haven't read them yet and don't know if they're any good. But... optimism.

Old 10-23-2015, 07:12 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
I finished the audiobook "Think Twice" by Lisa Scottoline. This author is sporadic at best. Parts of her works are really good reads, interspersed with lots of well-written tripe. I think she must be trying for humor, but it isn't working for her. I think I am going to have to strike her from my TRL.

Next up: Heather Graham's Bone Trilogy. I was able to pick up the first and second today at the library so I have the full set and just over a week to read them!

Old 10-24-2015, 07:59 AM

5,132 posts, read 4,482,937 times
Samaritan by Richard Price.

It's good so far--about a quarter of the way into it.

Old 10-24-2015, 03:21 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,765,227 times
Two by Colin Ferguson. "the Lobster Coast" and "American Nations"

first is a history of Maine and the second is a essay on the cultural differences in North America. Both are fascinating and the second explains a lot about American politics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books