Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2015, 07:48 AM

496 posts, read 395,364 times

Advertisements

Hi all! Seems like I have been gone for ages but with two sets of twins, Toby & Simba the evil feline twins, and Noah & Nyla the adorable grand baby twins something had to give. The evil feline twins have turned into the just slightly naughty feline twins and are so much fun. Absolutely the most affectionate cats I've ever had the pleasure to be owned by. N & N get cuter each day and I will be seeing them again tomorrow. This Nana is just loving baby time!

I have read quite a few books while I was MIA but I can honestly say nothing to rave about. One book in particular had a real yuck factor to it. The Bronze Horseman was highly rated on Amazon so I gave it a whirl. Part of the way through a very long slough it had sex scene after sex scene. It just turns me off when a book resorts to sex that is just not needed to move the story forward. It was basically a romance novel and I think if that was the last genre of books available I would become an avid non reader!!!

Anyway, glad to see you all and my TR list is about half a mile longer after catching up on what you all have been reading.

Dawn, sounds like you and BF are having a grand time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2015, 01:05 PM

371 posts, read 257,891 times
I am reading. Special Men:Recollections of a LRRP. Very interesting book about an enlisted man who goes from private to OCS and 2nd Lt. to Airborne to LRRP which is special forces in Vietnam. My shelf is overflowing with books...got another 10 or so yesterday from my all day thrift store splurge trip...

Old 10-31-2015, 04:35 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,144,036 times
Palimpsest: A History of the Written Word, by Matthew Battles.

http://www.amazon.com/Palimpsest-His...e+Written+Word

Fascinating but a slow read for me.

Old 10-31-2015, 08:23 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
I finished "The Ghost of the Mary Celeste" by Valerie Martin; my last ghost story for the month. Except it wasn't a ghost story -- in fact, I don't really know what it was. The writing was okay, but she leapt from one aspect of the story to what had to be assumed to be another part of the same story though it took a leap of faith because there was no transition. There was no real ending, either. In fact, there wasn't really a ghost.

Next up: "The Bastard of Istanbul" by Elif Shafak, maybe. Time will tell.

Meanwhile, I am still listening to Jonathon Kellerman's "When the Bough Breaks" in the sewing room. The story is okay but I think any future readings will be done by me, I don't like the reader.

Old 10-31-2015, 10:22 PM

35,016 posts, read 16,972,291 times
H.W. Barnes, The First American, the Life and Times of Benjamin Franklin.When he was of age to be apprenticed, his father had him set up in a cutlery apprenticeship. That fell through and he went into printing. Priinters did far more than mechanical stuff, writing and editing a lot of copy.

Imagine how different the world would look if he became a man of knives rather than a man of words?

Old 11-01-2015, 05:01 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post

Meanwhile, I am still listening to Jonathon Kellerman's "When the Bough Breaks" in the sewing room. The story is okay but I think any future readings will be done by me, I don't like the reader.

I really dislike audio books. They just don't keep me entertained.

BTW here is an interesting tidbit. Kent Haruf’s Our Souls at Night might be made into a movie with Robert Redford and Jane Fonda.

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/robert-...067730167.html

Old 11-01-2015, 06:52 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,843,617 times
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry
Quote:
I finished "The Ghost of the Mary Celeste" by Valerie Martin; my last ghost story for the month. Except it wasn't a ghost story -- in fact, I don't really know what it was. The writing was okay, but she leapt from one aspect of the story to what had to be assumed to be another part of the same story though it took a leap of faith because there was no transition. There was no real ending, either. In fact, there wasn't really a ghost.
You are so right about The Ghost Of The Mary Celeste! I found it a tediously boring read, don't think I finished it either. I also could not get into~Dr. Mary's Monkey: How the Unsolved Murder of a Doctor, a Secret Laboratory in New Orleans and Cancer-Causing Monkey Viruses are Linked to Lee Harvey Oswald, the JFK Assassination and Emerging Global Epidemics
by Edward T. Haslam 1-star DNF

Fortunately I have been enjoying my Halloween movie watching, because I have not been as satisfied with the books that I have picked up from my library at all!

Ted Bundy: Conversations with a Killer by Stephen G. Michaud 1-star
The Cases That Haunt Us by John E. Douglas 2-stars
Mindhunter: Inside the FBI's Elite Serial Crime Unit by John E. Douglas 2- stars

Signature Killers by Robert D. Keppel 4-stars The best that I have yet read on this subject, mostly for the last chapter "Why", as that was my main question in borrowing these type books from my library in the first place! I think the author does an excellent job of explaining this.

I have also discovered why these monsters, though without a doubt are mentally ill, they still do not fit the definition of "insane", as they absolutely know right from wrong, but "choose" to commit their horrendous crimes, because of the pleasure they get from doing them!

Another thing that is really terrifying is to learn how coming from dysfunctional homes, especially those lacking affection, love, and/or appropriate discipline seems to be the background in common of these killers. With all the "latch-key" kids today who are raising themselves, their numbers are sure to only keep increasing!

Whew... I think now I need to read a light, sweet comedy romance like Reforming Lord Ragsdale by Carla Kelly, LOL!

Last edited by i_love_autumn; 11-01-2015 at 07:12 AM..

Old 11-01-2015, 08:01 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,806,194 times
David Guterson's East of the Mountains, fiction, for pleasure.

Katharine Briggs' The Fairies in English Tradition and Literature, non-fiction, for research.

Old 11-01-2015, 08:49 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,843,617 times
Originally Posted by younglisa7
Quote:
I really dislike audio books. They just don't keep me entertained.

I just don't have the patience to sit and listen to one, when I can read so much faster.However, They would have been a great idea back in my crafting days,while crocheting, cross-stitching, or doing plastic canvas, or even working in my flower beds.

I did manage to listen to The Old Willis Place[YA ghost story] ,to test the Text- To- Speech feature shortly after I first got my Kindle Touch back in 2011, but only by playing on the computer at the same time!

Old 11-01-2015, 08:54 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
... Whew... I think now I need to read a light, sweet comedy romance like Reforming Lord Ragsdale by Carla Kelly, LOL!
I call it "cleansing the palate" -- though I prefer something with a bit more bite, like a zest of something acerbic -- like sour ball with only the mildest whiff of sweetness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Katharine Briggs' The Fairies in English Tradition and Literature, non-fiction, for research.
There was a time when I was interested in folk tales as predecessors to literature and was surprised how often there were fairies -- especially in the United Kingdom and North Western Europe. I never was able to determine the source of the wee folk. If you come across that tidbit please do share.

I'm only a very few pages into "The Bastard of Istanbul" -- I don't even know who the principle character is, for certain, but I am captivated by her writing. I hope this love lasts.

For now, I am back to the sewing room so it's more of Kellerman's "When the Bough Breaks." Only one more quilt to quilt and then I'm back to knitting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books