Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2015, 05:27 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times

Advertisements

I finished listening to "When the Bough Breaks" by Jonathan Kellerman and though the subject matter was icky (child abuse) it's become such a "standard fare" in so many works that it didn't put me off. (I know that sounds callous, but is there any author out there that has not used it in at least one work -- that isn't another Debbie MacComber?) Anyway, I liked Alex Delaware -- very "thin man-esque" -- and since this was the first in that series I will look for more.

I've been trying to read "The Bastard of Istanbul" by Elif Shafak but it isn't working for me. Another author with jumpy transitions and nonexistent plotting. It's going back unfinished.

Next up: The 2 in 1 book: "The Rubber Band/The Red Box" by Rex Stout. I haven't read him in a long while, but I like the Nero Wolfe character.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2015, 03:51 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I finished The Unbreakable Miss Lovely: How the Church of Scientology tried to destroy Paulette Cooper
by Tony Ortega.

This book is so well researched and so well presented. It is truly an interesting read even though the subject matter is trauma inducing.

Paulette Cooper is a very brave and heroic woman, IMHO.

The Unbreakable Miss Lovely: How the Church of Scientology tried to destroy Paulette Cooper - Kindle edition by Tony Ortega. Religion & Spirituality Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.
Sounds good

Old 11-05-2015, 04:34 AM

I finished a couple of books:

Between the World and Me which is a very good book written by a black man in the form of a letter to his 15 year old son. He explains how it was for him growing up and being black in America, some of the changes he has seen and how each generation has changed. It can be a little confusing as he mentions many black people who you may not know. Some are victims and some are heroes.

And Signal which was a little disappointing. I loved Sam Dryden in Runner. Sadly that kind of wore off in Signal. This was a quick read but I did not connect with any of the characters and I don't think they connected with each other. I also found it hard to follow the "time" explanation. Still a pretty good read.

I am now reading Fourth of July Creek which has good potential but I am not too far into it yet

Old 11-05-2015, 10:19 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Okay. I know I tend to be overly dramatic when I'm writing about a really good book.

I'm going to be calm this time.

YOU HAVE TO READ THIS BOOK! ........ oops.

Once We Were Brothers by Ronald H. Balson.

It truly is one of the best I have ever read.

Amazon.com: Once We Were Brothers eBook: Ronald H. Balson: Books

Old 11-05-2015, 11:36 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Quote:
Okay. I know I tend to be overly dramatic when I'm writing about a really good book.

I'll put it on my list!

I started The Dog Stars by Peter Heller and can't put it down. I know I heard about it on here, but can't remember what anyone said. I really like it although it is dark and sad so far.

I tried to read Six Suspects but gave up. It was a murder mystery set in India, but I didn't like the writing and it read almost like a folk tale.

Old 11-05-2015, 11:38 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,301,142 times
I'm getting ready to read a couple of books about the Donner Party.

Old 11-05-2015, 04:08 PM

Quote:

Who knew…this was on my tr list and I didn't even know it On your recommendation I placed a hold for it at my library. It is checked out right now.

Old 11-06-2015, 05:50 AM

50,344 posts, read 63,928,555 times
Gray Mountain, John Grisham. I'm enjoying it, so far.
Big law, NYC lawyer gets furloughed and takes an unpaid internship in a hick town, in order to keep her benefits in effect during the furlough. We can guess where this is going.....

Old 11-06-2015, 09:20 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,843,617 times
Yes, Chef: A Memoir by Marcus Samuelsson [I gave it 4-stars]
This book covers so many interests of mine, especially different cultures, since the author did so much travelling.
It was fascinating to read what all a culinary career entails, and what hard work, long hours, and how stressful it is to work under psycho head chefs! I hated them and would no more want to be acquainted with one than I would a politician or a lawyer!
The author is not a man of the best character himself[especially concerning his own child],which he honestly confesses.
The first third of the book is so full of love for his adoptive Swedish parents and grandma and his love of food and preparing it that he learned from his grandmother. It was a joy to read.
As he gets older it is so interesting to read about his childhood and friendships as a black[he's Ethiopian] Swede. Then how he begins his career with becoming a chef, his goal.
I loved reading about all the different places/countries he worked, and the foods he learned to cook, plus what he did on his off time, in these different cultures.
Lots of interesting name-dropping throughout, also.
My one complaint is there is far too much profanity, including 'F' bombs, though it is scattered.

Not sure what to choose next, out of the library books I have on hand.

Old 11-06-2015, 10:13 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
I finished (finally. It took forever.) Orson Scott Card's latest (the third) in the Gatefather trilogy. I had enjoyed the previous two and now I'm wondering if they were better written or if I was in a certain kind of mood. I can't even fathom being in the right kind of mood for the third book, which contains pages and pages of moralising on the part of one of the teen characters. I finished it because I thought it would get better and by the time I realised it wasn't going to get better, I was too far along to quit. (Although really, I should just have quit.)

Teenagers might like this third book. I apparently liked the first two.

I'm not having much luck reading these days. I've dipped into biographies, memoirs, serious fiction, every different genre I can think of and nothing is grabbing me so I might as well paint my ceilings in preparation for painting my walls, which are in preparation for my new kitchen which should be installed in seven weeks time, at which point I would have to paint anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books