U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2009, 04:04 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,618,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesbabe View Post
"The Mask" by Dean Koontz. Definitely NOT one of my favorite Koontz books so far.
I didn't care for that one, either. In fact, I've tried several times over the years to read it and I don't think I've ever finished it! And that surprised me because I can usually go through a Koontz book in less than a day!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 04:14 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,618,438 times
Currently reading a few Faye Kellerman's that I picked up cheap at the local resale store. Back a couple of years ago, I had been going to the library fairly regularly and was looking for Jonathan Kellerman's 'Alex Delaware' series of books when I came across "Ritual Bath" by Faye Kellerman, checked it out, read it and immediately started looking for more.
(Just discovered that the resale store - Savers - has books with most priced below $3! Gotta see how much I can get together and walk over there - maybe one day next week.)

Old 08-27-2009, 05:09 PM

2,480 posts, read 5,112,116 times
An autobiography-Piece of Cake-by Cupcake Brown-all I can say it is like a car wreck-you don't want to read anymore but you have to. An underprivileged black girl who sinks way to the bottom-not finished yet-but she becomes a lawyer. There are so many times when I felt I can't read anymore of this but still do as I want to read the positive outcome.

Old 08-27-2009, 07:26 PM

836 posts, read 4,720,264 times
I'm currently reading When Madeline was Young. So far it's very good.
It's about a young married woman who has a tragic bicycle accident and the subsequent
changes in all of her relationships. She now has the mind of a six year old, her husband remarries
but is still somewhat devoted to her. He and his new wife are her caretakers.

Old 08-28-2009, 01:17 AM

1,459 posts, read 3,978,515 times
Quote:
I'm currently reading When Madeline was Young. So far it's very good.
While I was reading this, I didn't think too highly of it...thought it was fluffy.

But as it turns out, the book made me think quite a bit! Quite a different spin, huh?

Old 08-28-2009, 07:51 AM

13,506 posts, read 17,155,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Now just starting Kazuo Ishiguro's "When We Were Orphans". I liked his "An Artist of the Floating World", and I'm becoming rather enamored with Japanese writers.
Ah! you are finding out that they are as dangerous as potato chips.

Half a century ago I worked just off Times Square from late in the evening to the early morning. (No, not doing that.) Lunch hour at midnight in TS or the Deuce presented lots of problems as far as how to spend the rest of the time after eating. So, I used to wander around the shops that sold used books and magazines - there were many in the area then. They usually also had a rack or two of current paperbacks with titillating covers.

One night I picked up one with a somewhat more subdue cover, it was by some Japanese guy and it looked like just maybe I could kill some time with it on my breaks and on the subway.

It knocked my socks off. I kept telling the guys at work, "This was great. You gotta take a look at this....etc., etc." They thought I was nuts...some semi-sleazy novel by a Japanese, no less.

I just kept hunting for Japanese novels...and I was vindicated when a few years later the author of the first novel I had picked up, Snow Country, was awarded the Nobel Prize.

Keep going, they are great writers! If you haven't read it, look for The Buddha Tree by Fumio Niwa. It was OOP, so you may have to buy it used.

Old 08-28-2009, 11:41 PM

2,002 posts, read 4,417,432 times
"Death and the chapman" by Kate Sedley.

Old 08-30-2009, 04:39 PM

483 posts, read 1,502,446 times
I am currently reading Sagebrush Brides, a series of 4 stories in 1 book written by Carol Cox. They are of the Christian Romance variety.

Old 08-30-2009, 08:18 PM

363 posts, read 1,103,062 times
Just starting The Story of A Marriage by Andrew Greer.

Old 08-31-2009, 07:21 AM

1,140 posts, read 1,984,376 times
The Revolution: A Manifesto by Ron Paul
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books