Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2015, 05:21 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times

Advertisements

My run of bad luck continued. I read part of a Sample with good Reviews, but the Writer had randomly capitalized Words. It drove Me crazy. I couldn't Bear to read long enough to find out if there was a good Story in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2015, 09:45 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
I finished Troublemaker: Surviving Hollywood and Scientology by Leah Remini.

I have never seen Remini in any of her TV shows. I really knew very little about her except that she had left Scientology after 30 years a couple of years ago. For some reason I thought she had been married to John Stamos. Well, she was never married to him. Duh! I obviously don't keep a close watch on that kind of stuff and as a result I sometimes (often) don't have a clue about Hollywood personalities except for Gregory Peck back in the day. heeheehee

She is a "cut to the chase" and "in your face" personality. She readily admits to that. Tough kid from Brooklyn. And, she is totally endearing. Her sense of humor had me laughing a lot in the book and this is not a humorous book. She simply has a killer sense of humor as well as massive love for and from her family.

She is a good friend of J Lo and after reading about what happened before, at and after Tom & Katie's wedding I am now a fan of Jennifer Lopez. She is a tough kid from The Bronx and I mean that as a compliment. I also was surprised to learn that J Lo's father has been a Scientologist for years. J Lo is not one. The last shred of "like" that I had for Tom Cruise is gone. It's been receding for years and now it has gone completely bye-bye. I don't base that on this book alone. I base it on around 8-10 books I have read by people who escaped Scientology. All of those folks say the same things about Cruise and it is not flattering by any means. Katie Holmes was not exactly an angel when it came to the wedding and Leah. That is all I will say about that except that her behavior (Katie's) really surprised me. But, again, she was basically an innocent who was sucked into the Scientology maelstrom and was smart enough to get out of it. She saved herself and Suri. Good going, Katie!

I have to admit that I was skeptical about reading the book. Ignorance on my part but I thought it would be fru-fru. It brings home the adage of "Don't judge a book by its cover".....or by your misconception of the author.

It's a very good book. I was drawn in immediately and it lasted throughout the book. I recommend it.

p.s. This is absolutely not a Hollywood tell all book. It focuses on the trials and tribulations that come hand in hand with membership in Scientology. Of course, if you are a big name celebrity then you are treated like a prince or princess as long as you toe the line.

Last edited by Ketabcha; 11-07-2015 at 10:03 PM..

Old 11-08-2015, 03:39 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,843,617 times
Had to give up on ~The Surgeon: A Rizzoli & Isles Novel by Tess Gerritsen
Explicit, detailed mutilation, grisly, gruesome, gore. Don't have the stomach for this! Made me extremely uncomfortable to be reading this for entertainment! Could not finish.
I've read several nonfiction books on Ted Bundy and other serial killers, admittedly skimming most of the crime details, because I was only looking for the why and how that a person could become such a subhuman monster, which I discovered that they were raised in dysfunctional, often abusive homes, without familial love and/or appropriate discipline.
I could take those books for research, but just am not able to read such brutal violence as 'entertainment'! Will not be reading any more of this series.

Now reading~ Open Season (Joe Pickett #1) by C.J. Box
Joe Pickett is the new game warden in Twelve Sleep, Wyoming, a town where nearly everyone hunts and the game warden--especially on like Joe who won't take bribes or look the other way--is far from popular. When he finds a local hunting outfitter dead, splayed out on the woodpile behind his state-owned home, he takes it personally. There had to be a reason that the outfitter, with whom he's had run-ins before, chose his backyard, his woodpile to die in. Even after the "outfitter murders," as they have been dubbed by the local press after the discovery of the two more bodies, are solved, Joe continues to investigate, uneasy with the easy explanation offered by the local police.
As Joe digs deeper into the murders, he soon discovers that the outfitter brought more than death to his backdoor: he brought Joe an endangered species, thought to be extinct, which is now living in his woodpile. But if word of the existence of this endangered species gets out, it will destroy any chance of InterWest, a multi-national natural gas company, building an oil pipeline that would bring the company billions of dollars across Wyoming, through the mountains and forests of Twelve Sleep. The closer Joe comes to the truth behind the outfitter murders, the endangered species and InterWest, the closer he comes to losing everything he holds dear.

Old 11-08-2015, 04:45 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,249,767 times
Finished up Hatrack River by Orson Scott Card. I didn't realize it was a trilogy, and I had read two of the 3 books previously as it is part of the Tales of Alvin Maker Series. I did enjoy the reread, and the alternative America.

Also picked up another alternative America series Ghosts of Columbia by L.E. Modesitt, Jr. Not sure why, but though the book was a good overall read, it has taken me a long time to even get through the first book, Of Tangible Ghosts. The second book is going a little quicker.

Old 11-08-2015, 07:13 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,228,022 times
Uncle Tom's Cabin. I read it probably 20 years ago, so it's long overdue for a re-read.

Old 11-08-2015, 09:23 PM

8,665 posts, read 5,843,617 times
Open Season (A Joe Pickett Novel) by C. J. Box 2/5-stars
Every character in this book with the exception of the main character and his immediate family, are despicable, amoral creeps!
This author uses far too much profanity, and after not enjoying the reading of this book, it is unlikely that I will read anything else by him.

Just borrowed from my library for my Kindle~The Cat's Table by Michael Ondaatje
In the early 1950s, an eleven-year-old boy in Colombo boards a ship bound for England. At mealtimes he is seated at the "cat's table"--as far from the Captain's Table as can be--with a ragtag group of "insignificant" adults and two other boys, Cassius and Ramadhin. As the ship makes its way across the Indian Ocean, through the Suez Canal, into the Mediterranean, the boys tumble from one adventure to another, bursting all over the place like freed mercury. But there are other diversions as well: one man talks with them about jazz and women, another opens the door to the world of literature. The narrator's elusive, beautiful cousin Emily becomes his confidante, allowing him to see himself "with a distant eye" for the first time, and to feel the first stirring of desire. Another Cat's Table denizen, the shadowy Miss Lasqueti, is perhaps more than what she seems. And very late every night, the boys spy on a shackled prisoner, his crime and his fate a galvanizing mystery that will haunt them forever.
As the narrative moves between the decks and holds of the ship and the boy's adult years, it tells a spellbinding story--by turns poignant and electrifying--about the magical, often forbidden, discoveries of childhood and a lifelong journey that begins unexpectedly with a spectacular sea voyage.

Last edited by i_love_autumn; 11-08-2015 at 09:59 PM..

Old 11-09-2015, 05:49 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
[quote=i_love_autumn;41859244... Just borrowed from my library for my Kindle~[B]The Cat's Table by Michael Ondaatje[/b]
Looks like a modern day RL Stevenson escapade! I added to my TRL. Thanks!

Old 11-09-2015, 07:53 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I finished Troublemaker: Surviving Hollywood and Scientology by Leah Remini.

It's a very good book. I was drawn in immediately and it lasted throughout the book. I recommend it.
I didn't read through all of your post because I'm waiting to get the book from my library. I asked them to get it and it's still on order. I'm excited to read it, and I'm happy to read the part of your review I left.

I'm currently reading Spilled Blood by Brian Freeman which I am enjoying. It's a thriller about a teenager who was murdered, and the father of the accused trying to find out what really happened.

Old 11-09-2015, 08:16 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post

Just borrowed from my library for my Kindle~The Cat's Table by Michael Ondaatje
In the early 1950s, an eleven-year-old boy in Colombo boards a ship bound for England. At mealtimes he is seated at the "cat's table"--as far from the Captain's Table as can be--with a ragtag group of "insignificant" adults and two other boys, Cassius and Ramadhin. As the ship makes its way across the Indian Ocean, through the Suez Canal, into the Mediterranean, the boys tumble from one adventure to another, bursting all over the place like freed mercury. But there are other diversions as well: one man talks with them about jazz and women, another opens the door to the world of literature. The narrator's elusive, beautiful cousin Emily becomes his confidante, allowing him to see himself "with a distant eye" for the first time, and to feel the first stirring of desire. Another Cat's Table denizen, the shadowy Miss Lasqueti, is perhaps more than what she seems. And very late every night, the boys spy on a shackled prisoner, his crime and his fate a galvanizing mystery that will haunt them forever.
As the narrative moves between the decks and holds of the ship and the boy's adult years, it tells a spellbinding story--by turns poignant and electrifying--about the magical, often forbidden, discoveries of childhood and a lifelong journey that begins unexpectedly with a spectacular sea voyage.
I loved The English Patient by Michael Ondaatje and The Cat's Table sounds great. Looking forward to it.

I'm about 80% through The Dog Stars and still enjoying it. I have no idea how it's going to end so it's making me a little anxious.

Old 11-09-2015, 09:24 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times
[quote=LookinForMayberry;41861263]
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn;41859244... Just borrowed from my library for my Kindle~[B
The Cat's Table by Michael Ondaatje[/b]
Looks like a modern day RL Stevenson escapade! I added to my TRL. Thanks!
I liked that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books