Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2015, 05:32 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I thoroughly enjoyed and recommend the The Dog Stars. It's a post-apocalyptic tale with
Spoiler
a happy ending.

The only negative thing I have to say about it is that the end felt a little rushed. Seems like the author got 3/4 of the way through it and then just wanted to finish.

I have two things waiting--Fourth of July Creek and Palace Walk. Not sure which I'll pick up next. I'm in serious need of fluff right now and I don't think either of those is fluffy.
I may have to move The Dog Stars up on my list

Fourth of July Creek is definitely not a fluff read.

I am almost finished with Perfect Days which is an advanced reader copy. I am finding the book just a little "too" unbelievable.

http://www.amazon.com/Perfect-Days-N...s=perfect+days

Then I started to read Unwind because I needed a break, lol. This was recommended to me by "someone" over on GR. Ketabcha…you might like this one(??)

Amazon.com: Unwind (Unwind Dystology Book 1) eBook: Neal Shusterman: Books

Next up is another free from the publisher's book, Til' The Well Runs Dry. I think it will be good.
'Til the Well Runs Dry: A Novel: Lauren Francis-Sharma: 9781250074676: Amazon.com: Books
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2015, 06:02 AM

BTW…Hi Dawn….welcome back.

How was your trip?

Old 11-12-2015, 06:23 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
I just finished Still Life by Louise Penney. It was her first novel and my first Louise Penney/Inspector Gamache story.

I really wanted to like it and I did like some parts - especially the little town, Three Pines. I was disappointed with how disjointed the story seemed and though I understand that a mystery has to have multiple threads so the reader isn't immediately led to the conclusion, I felt like there were so many characters and so many stray fragments that I started to not care who did what by the end.

Overall, it was the lack of subtlety that wore me out. Every character was over characterized and stereotypical (witty gay couple, donut eating policeman, disheveled but pretty artist, superficial real estate agent) and I felt like the book was shouting at me.

Old 11-12-2015, 06:45 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
BTW…Hi Dawn….welcome back.

How was your trip?
Thank you! Vacation was great... I'm ready to go back.

Old 11-12-2015, 08:01 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,948,595 times
Not really reading, more like slogging through Jude the Obscure. I've been working on it for weeks and I'm still not more than 3/4 through. I only decided to read it because it's (supposably, as my granddaughter says) one of the World's Best Novels.

Hardy could have used a really good editor, unless, of course, he was being paid by the word.
Yes, I like the verbosity of Dickens. The difference? Dickens' prose is melodic. He uses the language as it was intended. Hardy just says the same things over and over and over.

I need some Hemingway for a palate-cleanse.

Old 11-12-2015, 08:14 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post

Then I started to read Unwind because I needed a break, lol. This was recommended to me by "someone" over on GR. Ketabcha…you might like this one(??)

Amazon.com: Unwind (Unwind Dystology Book 1) eBook: Neal Shusterman: Books

Oh goody! Yes, Lisa, this one sounds great. Right up my alley. Thank you for the recommendation.

Old 11-12-2015, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Oh goody! Yes, Lisa, this one sounds great. Right up my alley. Thank you for the recommendation.
I read the first 70 pages while on the treadmill this morning. I really like it so far. This is a new author for me and he has written a lot of books

Old 11-12-2015, 10:11 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I just finished Still Life by Louise Penney. It was her first novel and my first Louise Penney/Inspector Gamache story.

Overall, it was the lack of subtlety that wore me out. Every character was over characterized and stereotypical (witty gay couple, donut eating policeman, disheveled but pretty artist, superficial real estate agent) and I felt like the book was shouting at me.
I liked it, but I do grant you it isn't literary. It's one step above a cozy, that step being that as she grows with the series the relationships between the characters grow, become more subtle, and she actually starts taking on some serious topics. As you said, this was her first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Not really reading, more like slogging through Jude the Obscure. I've been working on it for weeks and I'm still not more than 3/4 through. I only decided to read it because it's (supposably, as my granddaughter says) one of the World's Best Novels.

Hardy could have used a really good editor, unless, of course, he was being paid by the word.
Yes, I like the verbosity of Dickens. The difference? Dickens' prose is melodic. He uses the language as it was intended. Hardy just says the same things over and over and over.

I need some Hemingway for a palate-cleanse.
Good one! So, Jude wasn't the only one that was "obscure"!

I just finished "The Rubber Band" by Rex Stout -- a series written in the 30s, so obviously dated. The protagonist is a well-to-do reclusive armchair detective that works though his hired network of footmen and his personal assistant, Archie, who narrates the tales. Fun read, but -- again, not literary.

Next up: "The Center of Everything" by Laura Moriarty

Old 11-12-2015, 11:05 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I finally found and finished a book! I thought I was going to turn into Dawn who would always post about a book and then hate it. The book is called The Queen of the Tearling and one would think it is a fantasy but it seems that it is a post-dystopic world. The writer is great at world-building. I thought that the characters were strong, with strengths and flaws. It is not a romance although maybe one develops somewhere along the line as it is, best of all it is a series, so that I will presumably not be searching for something to read for a while.

The Queen of the Tearling: A Novel (Queen of the Tearling, The): Erika Johansen: 9780062290380: Amazon.com: Books
Well, I finished the second book in what looks to be a trilogy and while I could hardly stop reading, there were a number of things that bothered me plot-wise. There wasn't always a believable explanation for events, so I rated the second book lower than the first. There are several genres mixed together here and I think it would have worked best as a straight-up fantasy. But I still couldn't stop reading. There is a third book that is only coming out in the spring, I believe. I am wondering if that third book will make the parts that bothered me, make more sense.

I still do recommend this series for fantasy-lovers.

Then I started reading Cherie Currie's biography, Neon Angel. My best friend and I used to play the records of The Runaways and feel very rebellious. The book is interesting enough to me to keep reading it for now, but I hate the 'voice' in the book. I really, really hate it. It's a 'loud' book. I don't know if Currie's voice is like that or if it is the fault of the co-writer. The book gets good reviews on Amazon.

Old 11-12-2015, 08:49 PM

8,665 posts, read 5,843,617 times
Finished~

The Cat's Table by Michael Ondaatje 3 of 5 stars.
4-stars for the first half....2 stars for the remainder. After an interesting and entertaining beginning, midway the book changes tone, and becomes hard to follow, and is no longer a fun, sweet read. It felt like a different book, and was just strange.

My library finally got~Miss Ruffles Inherits Everything: A Mystery by Nancy Martin that it had on order. younglisa had mentioned it, and I had put a reserve on it. Think it will be next, as it sounds like a fun read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books