Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2015, 04:50 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times

Advertisements

Ooh….yay…finally it is a freebie

The Park Service: Book One of The Park Service Trilogy by Ryan Winfield.

Amazon.com: The Park Service: Book One of The Park Service Trilogy eBook: Ryan Winfield: Kindle Store

Ketabcha…I have been waiting for this one

Last edited by ylisa7; 11-15-2015 at 05:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2015, 07:07 AM

94 posts, read 90,292 times
Ladder of Years by Anne Tyler. Great book!

Old 11-16-2015, 09:40 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,844,099 times
Despite being interested and engaged for the first 1/3 of Interview With A Vampire by Anne Rice, I became bored with it and stopped reading it to try the next book 'The Vampire: Lestat'.I liked Louis in the first book and hated Lestat who ridiculed Louis for doing something so human as reading books. Then in the Lestat book it mentions several books he has read, plus he is a 'rock star', puhlease! So I put it in my book bag to return to the library, unfinished!

Then I started ~Crawlspace by Herbert Lieberman 4-stars
Enjoyed this one a lot. Nice and creepy, and definitely kept me engaged.

Now I am starting ~Saving Ceecee Honeycutt by Beth Hoffman

Steel Magnolias meets The Help in Beth Hoffman’s New York Times bestselling Southern debut novel, Saving CeeCee Honeycutt

Old 11-16-2015, 10:13 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
I gave up on Fourth of July Creek because I needed something more light-hearted. I went to a library book sale and got a copy of The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society because it's been recommended on here so many times. I've resisted it for years because I thought the title was too cute and I thought it would be full of larger-than-life quirky characters with weird names which is a device I think authors use when they can't deliver the goods. Anyway, it isn't any of those things and I'm enjoying it thoroughly.

Old 11-16-2015, 11:17 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
Despite being interested and engaged for the first 1/3 of Interview With A Vampire by Anne Rice, I became bored with it and stopped reading it to try the next book 'The Vampire: Lestat'.I liked Louis in the first book and hated Lestat who ridiculed Louis for doing something so human as reading books. Then in the Lestat book it mentions several books he has read, plus he is a 'rock star', puhlease! So I put it in my book bag to return to the library, unfinished!

Then I started ~Crawlspace by Herbert Lieberman 4-stars
Enjoyed this one a lot. Nice and creepy, and definitely kept me engaged.

Now I am starting ~Saving Ceecee Honeycutt by Beth Hoffman

Steel Magnolias meets The Help in Beth Hoffman’s New York Times bestselling Southern debut novel, Saving CeeCee Honeycutt

Enjoy…I really enjoyed Saving Cee Cee Honeycutt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I gave up on Fourth of July Creek because I needed something more light-hearted. I went to a library book sale and got a copy of The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society because it's been recommended on here so many times. I've resisted it for years because I thought the title was too cute and I thought it would be full of larger-than-life quirky characters with weird names which is a device I think authors use when they can't deliver the goods. Anyway, it isn't any of those things and I'm enjoying it thoroughly.

I Loved Guernsey….I hope you enjoy it.

Now I am reading I am reading The Kind Worth Killing which is about a man who meets a woman at the airport and they plot to kill his wife together. The book goes back and forth between her(the new woman's) point of view and the man who is married. It is interesting so far and has some twists. I am about to come up to one. I have my theory…now I will see if I am right, lol.

Ooh one of the twists just blew me away

Old 11-16-2015, 02:19 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,948,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Last January I joined a book reading challenge. The challenge was to read a book beginning with each letter of the alphabet.

I have J, Q, and X left for the year.

Well, for the J, you could try Jude the Obscure. I just finished it and believe me, it was a struggle. But since you need the J...

BTW, I loved Unwind I just ordered the second one on the series from my library
UnWholly
Amazon.com: UnWholly (Unwind Dystology) (9781442423664): Neal Shusterman: Books
Well, for the J, you could try Jude the Obscure. I just finished it and believe me, it was a struggle. But since you need the J...

Old 11-16-2015, 02:46 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Ooh….yay…finally it is a freebie

The Park Service: Book One of The Park Service Trilogy by Ryan Winfield.

Amazon.com: The Park Service: Book One of The Park Service Trilogy eBook: Ryan Winfield: Kindle Store

Ketabcha…I have been waiting for this one
I hope you like it as much as I did.

Old 11-16-2015, 03:21 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,541,995 times
http://www.amazon.com/Traders-Tales-...tain%27s+share

About to start the last book in the series. Like it a lot.

Old 11-17-2015, 02:34 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,844,099 times
Originally Posted by younglisa7
Quote:
Enjoy…I really enjoyed Saving Cee Cee Honeycutt
I am already at 40%,because it is so hard to put down. Such a delightful story!

Old 11-17-2015, 07:01 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Last night I finished "The Center of Everything" by Laura Moriarty, and didn't review it right away because it left me with so many things to consider. There is a lot of punch packed into this pint-sized novel. Finally, I think the whirling thoughts have settled enough for me to say this:

I think this was her first published novel and the writing was seamless. Her characters were true to life -- sometimes depressingly so, but not so depressing to force me to turn away from them. Each faced their life's deck of cards and played them bravely -- even those that cut and ran.

I think there is something to be learned herein for each of us. Ms Moriarty brings life's issues to bear in a manner that refutes "pat answers" -- letting them be seen through the "eyes of babes" and question our adult "truths." She shores us up with the knowledge that whatever we face, we are not alone but face with the help of our friends and family, no matter how weak or strong they might be.

I like that in a book and am looking forward to seeing how she grows through her successive works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books