Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2015, 12:37 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times

Advertisements

I finished Cage of Stars - good, read it quickly, not great. There was a big climactic scene (or two or three) that seemed so unrealistic, but when it got back on track, it was pretty good. I remember this from the other two Jacquelyn Mitchard books that I've read as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2015, 08:25 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,604,506 times
I just read the most annoying book - The Daylight Marriage by Heidi Pitlow. I thought it would be a great dysfunctional family novel, but it's more like "who the hell would do that?" A wife and mother goes missing and the story is told from the husband's viewpoint eventually interspersed with chapters from the missing wife, so we get an idea of how she ended up in her situation. No sympathy - from me anyway.

But before that I read a real winner, The World Without You by Joshua Henkin. Really wonderful domestic fiction, my kind of novel. Excellent characterizations of a large family gathering at their summer home in the Berkshires to memorialize a son who was killed in Iraq. I didn't want it to end.

And then I squeezed in a quick read by Elin Hilderbrand called Winter Stroll. This appears to be the sequel (or continuation) of Winter Street. Taking place in Nantucket (naturally!) I vaguely remembered the first novel about the Inn and how the owner's first wife swoops in to save the day. Fortunately there's a bit of re-telling going on but I have to say I kept feeling like I should know these characters better but I'd forgotten. Still a good quick read to get in a Christmas mood.

Old 11-21-2015, 06:59 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
I just finished Philip Wylie's Tomorrow!.

I enjoyed it. Expecting it to be a bit like Alas, Babylon, I was surprised to find it a more or less treatise on Civil Defense in the US in the 50s. That sounds boring, doesn't it? This book is far from boring. Its a novel and a novel novel. It centers around two towns in the Midwest that sprung up at the same time right across the river from each other. They were also in different US states. One town was heavily into civil defense the other was not. So, what happens when the Soviets try to bomb us into the middle ages?
A lot happens.

The characters, and there are a lot of them, are people we recognize because we all know people like these characters. Basically it is two families. I loved one and the other was iffy.

It's a fast read. I read it in two days. Here is more info about it:

http://www.amazon.com/Tomorrow-Phili...933KQ1BCFKBXTX

Old 11-22-2015, 01:48 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,844,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I just finished Philip Wylie's Tomorrow!.

I enjoyed it. Expecting it to be a bit like Alas, Babylon, I was surprised to find it a more or less treatise on Civil Defense in the US in the 50s. That sounds boring, doesn't it? This book is far from boring. Its a novel and a novel novel. It centers around two towns in the Midwest that sprung up at the same time right across the river from each other. They were also in different US states. One town was heavily into civil defense the other was not. So, what happens when the Soviets try to bomb us into the middle ages?
A lot happens.

The characters, and there are a lot of them, are people we recognize because we all know people like these characters. Basically it is two families. I loved one and the other was iffy.

It's a fast read. I read it in two days. Here is more info about it:

http://www.amazon.com/Tomorrow-Phili...933KQ1BCFKBXTX

That really sounds like a great techno thriller, added it!

Old 11-22-2015, 11:25 AM

829 posts, read 411,263 times
Found these books at a local book sale (or I often believe they find ME)!

All are excellent reads...

This Book Will Save Your Life (A Novel) by A.M. Homes

Still Life With Woodpecker by Tom Robbins

The Buddha in the Attic by Julie Otsuka

Mudbound by Hillary Jordan

Old 11-22-2015, 04:17 PM

5,020 posts, read 7,446,241 times
Leah Remini- Troublemaker

Fantastic read.

Funny and interesting as to the cult of Scientology

Old 11-22-2015, 04:25 PM

4,046 posts, read 2,130,139 times
My second major failure of the year---after not getting through even five pages of Purity, the Jonathan Franzen novel that I waited years for--now it's Fear of Dying by Erica Jong (which technically we all waited 40 years for). Love the title, but that's it. Writing not great, can't care about the fabulously successful but whiny characters, and reading about a guy who wanted his date to immediately put on a rubber suit did nothing for me.

Old 11-22-2015, 04:50 PM

5,152 posts, read 1,414,658 times
Gimme Something Better---

Outside of New York and London, California’s Bay Area claims the oldest continuous punk-rock scene in the world.
From the innovative art-damage of San Francisco’s Fab Mab in North Beach, to the still vibrant all-ages DIY ethos of Berkeley’s Gilman Street, Gimme Something Better chronicles over two decades of Bay Area punk, including the Sex Pistols’ notorious final performance, Jello Biafra’s bid for mayor, the creation of Maximum RocknRoll, and the rise of the East Bay pop-punk sound that took the world by storm.
This definitive oral history explores the music, progressive politics, divine decadence, and smartass wit of Bay Area punk — with members of Dead Kennedys, Avengers, Flipper, MDC, Green Day, Rancid, NOFX, and AFI.

Old 11-23-2015, 01:57 AM

280 posts, read 307,247 times
Game of Thrones.

I never watched the show nor do I have any interest in doing so. However, I love fantasy so I decided to get the books. I checked the first and second book out and will be turning them both back in tomorrow with the second one unread. If I can describe Thrones in one word it would be boring. I was just completely nonplussed from beginning, middle and end. I also had no emotional attachment to any of the characters, and was wondering for 600 pages where the actual fantasy elements were. If I don't care about the plights of the good guys, and I'm supremely bored of the story overall, then there's no point in reading the rest of the series to me.

Old 11-23-2015, 10:04 AM

997 posts, read 1,060,731 times
I've just started Lair of Dreams by Libba Bray. It's the second in her Diviners series; supernatural stories set in Manhattan in the 1920's. I enjoyed the first book of the series, and I understand she had some writer's block and this second one was delayed, but I'm hoping it will be good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books