Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2015, 11:39 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times

Advertisements

I finished The Guernesy Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society and loved it. I started another book I picked up at the book sale, The Angel of Darkness by Caleb Carr. It may be too dark, but I'm not sure yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2015, 12:43 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Just back from the library with two to start:

Glass Room, by Simon Mawer

Fingersmith, by Sarah Waters

Old 11-23-2015, 03:03 PM

8,665 posts, read 5,842,089 times
I finished the middle grade juvenile book~The Night Gardener by Jonathan Auxier a 5-star read!

Wow, I thought this book was as creepy and atmospheric as another favorite of mine~ 'Something Wicked This Way Comes' by Ray Badbury, which the author said is one book that inspired him.
I believe this one has actually passed SWTWC, as my favorite!
Very well developed characters, and a story that draws you in.

Next will read either~The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd
Hetty “Handful” Grimke, an urban slave in early nineteenth century Charleston, yearns for life beyond the suffocating walls that enclose her within the wealthy Grimke household. The Grimke’s daughter, Sarah, has known from an early age she is meant to do something large in the world, but she is hemmed in by the limits imposed on women.
Kidd’s sweeping novel is set in motion on Sarah’s eleventh birthday, when she is given ownership of ten year old Handful, who is to be her handmaid. We follow their remarkable journeys over the next thirty five years, as both strive for a life of their own, dramatically shaping each other’s destinies and forming a complex relationship marked by guilt, defiance, estrangement and the uneasy ways of love. As the stories build to a riveting climax, Handful will endure loss and sorrow, finding courage and a sense of self in the process. Sarah will experience crushed hopes, betrayal, unrequited love, and ostracism before leaving Charleston to find her place alongside her fearless younger sister, Angelina, as one of the early pioneers in the abolition and women’s rights movements.

or~Travels With Charley: In Search of America by John Steinbeck
To hear the speech of the real America, to smell the grass and the tress, to see the colors and the light—these were John Steinbeck's goals as he set out, at the age of fifty-eight, to rediscover the country he had been writing about for so many years. With Charley, his French poodle, Steinbeck drives the interstates and the country roads, dines with truckers, encounters bears at Yellowstone and old friends in San Francisco. And he reflects on the American character, racial hostility, on a particular form of American loneliness he finds almost everywhere, and on the unexpected kindness of strangers that is also a very real part of our national identity. Which I hope is better than the horrible Grapes of Wrath which I detested the film ...as the most depressing, hopeless film ever made!

Old 11-23-2015, 04:00 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,312,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I finished The Guernesy Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society and loved it. I started another book I picked up at the book sale, The Angel of Darkness by Caleb Carr. It may be too dark, but I'm not sure yet.

Caleb Carr. I like every book of his that I've read. I highly recommend this one:

The Alienist: A Novel (Dr. Lazlo Kreizler Book 1) - Kindle edition by Caleb Carr. Literature & Fiction Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.

Old 11-23-2015, 04:47 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,249,487 times
I haven't been reading as much as my usual self cause I've been busy trying to get my new place in shape. I finally finished Ghost of the Revelator by L.E. Modesitt, Jr. and I enjoyed this one more than the first Ghost book. I think this was due to the fact that I had a better understanding of the politics on the alternate world than I did with the first book.

I also finished Sidney Sheldon's The Sands of Time (published in 1988) and enjoyed it not only for the story but also for the historical background to events in Spain. I was reading this month's Time magazine recently and there was a brief article about the latest Catalan independence push. And yesterday's news story: Pro-independence protest in Catalonia draws around 3,000

Old 11-23-2015, 04:53 PM

4,723 posts, read 4,413,722 times
Apparently I can't rep you Marlow but glad you loved Guernsey. I adored it. One of those effortless reads that is just a thorough delight.

Autumn, I think I read Travels with Charley a long time ago. I have to check-- and I think I really liked it. (how pathetic is this?)
Invention of Wings was very well liked by most people. I thought it was better than ok, but not stellar.

And I am now at 88% with the Claverings lol so I am now entertaining what next. I just got a notice from the library that The real Jane Austen : a life in small things / Paula Byrne.
is in and All the Light we Cannot See. Somehow I really wanted to read this one, but I dont know if I have it in me for now.

Old 11-23-2015, 06:15 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,297,939 times
The True History of the Elephant Man.

A great book about a great man!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tr...e_Elephant_Man

Old 11-24-2015, 07:13 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I loved Guernesy, and I was also going to comment on Caleb Carr, but since Ketabcha already did I will just ditto her comments:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Caleb Carr. ... I highly recommend this one: ... The Alienist ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
... Next will read either~The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd ... or~Travels With Charley: In Search of America by John Steinbeck ... Which I hope is better than the horrible Grapes of Wrath which I detested the film ...as the most depressing, hopeless film ever made!
Travels with Charley is nothing like Grapes of Wrath, but I liked them both in their own way -- Grapes was more impressive to me than Charley. Then again, I read both in highschool and may have a completely different opinion of both now.

I read Sue Monk Kidd's The Secret Life of Bees and absolutely LOVED it. I have The Invention of Wings on my TRL.

I've been listening to Lawrence Block read his collection of Matthew Scudder short stories in volume one of The Night and the Music. I was a bit concerned when the intro announced it was read by the author because often when this has been the case it hasn't been read well. This is exceptional. His voice IS Matthew Scudder's character and I am looking forward to reading future works knowing that this voice will remain in my head as I read. (Weird, huh?)

I am about 2/3rds through the Easy Rawling's Devil in a Blue Dress and happy to report that this series is just as well written as other works I've read by Walter Mosley. His work seems (to my WASP eyes) to be very accurately describing the plight of the black in the early half of the 20th century.

Old 11-24-2015, 07:29 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,842,089 times
Re:Mayvenne & LookinForMayberry, so glad to hear that Travels with Charley is nothing like The Grapes Of Wrath, because I try to avoid depressing downers like the plague! 'The Secret Life Of Bees', is on my TBR list.

Old 11-24-2015, 08:05 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I loved Guernesy, and I was also going to comment on Caleb Carr, but since Ketabcha already did I will just ditto her comments:
[
I read The Alienist years ago and liked it a lot. I've seen The Angel of Darkness here and there since then, but when I found it for 10 cents at a book sale I couldn't pass it up. The characters from The Alienist appear in this book as well, but I can't remember anything about them. I'm going to find a synopsis to read so that I don't feel quite so lost.

Also, I read Travels with Charlie when I was a kid because it had a dog in it, and I'd read anything with a dog in it. I can't remember anything about it, except that I liked it. But Steinbeck is still one of my all time favorite authors. I loved The Grapes of Wrath, even though it was so miserable and heartbreaking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books