Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2015, 11:02 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,350,226 times

Advertisements

Finished Spilled Blood by Brian Freeman, The Girl Who Fell From The Sky by Heidi Durrow, Troublemaker by Leah Remini, Go Set A Watchman by Harper Lee, and am now reading The Girl Who Chased the Moon by Sarah Addison Allen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2015, 12:08 PM

2,503 posts, read 2,071,943 times
What did you think of Leah's book 'Troublemaker'?

Old 11-24-2015, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresnochili View Post
What did you think of Leah's book 'Troublemaker'?
It was good but the repeated descriptions of some of the Scientology stuff was tiresome. I did keep thinking "how do you not see what crap this is???" as she was talking about all the stuff that goes with Scientology. I guess you really need to be in a place I have never been to get sucked into a cult like that. I did enjoy the stories she was telling otherwise, and it was interesting learning about some of the Scientology stuff. She doesn't strike me as someone who would make a bunch of stuff up just for spite, but I could be wrong.

Old 11-24-2015, 04:11 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,319,963 times
I just finished Orest Stelmach's The Boy From Reactor 4. Woowee. What a ride. It's one of the most exciting books I have ever read. It's a fast read, well written with gloriously depicted characters.

Reactor 4 is in the Chernobyl Zone. The book takes place in NYC, Ukraine, Russia and Alaska.
It has so many twists and turns that I could not predict them. It's book one of a series and they are all for sale for $1.99 on Amazon for the Kindle. The twists and turns remind me of "North by Northwest."

I learned a lot about Ukraine and the knowledge is in no way burdensome. It's interesting stuff.

Here is the deal: Now that I know so much about Ukraine I will be ready for a date with Maks
Chmerkovskiy. We might even dance.

Last edited by Ketabcha; 11-24-2015 at 04:38 PM..

Old 11-25-2015, 05:28 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,546,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I read The Alienist years ago and liked it a lot. I've seen The Angel of Darkness here and there since then, but when I found it for 10 cents at a book sale I couldn't pass it up. The characters from The Alienist appear in this book as well, but I can't remember anything about them. I'm going to find a synopsis to read so that I don't feel quite so lost. ...
When I looked it up on Goodreads I noticed it is listed as a sequel to The Alienist but I would be in the same boat as you if I read it now. I would just treat it as a new read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
Finished Spilled Blood by Brian Freeman, The Girl Who Fell From The Sky by Heidi Durrow, Troublemaker by Leah Remini, Go Set A Watchman by Harper Lee, and am now reading The Girl Who Chased the Moon by Sarah Addison Allen.
That's a whole lotta reading going on there! Must be the weather has you indoors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I just finished Orest Stelmach's The Boy From Reactor 4. Woowee. ... Now that I know so much about Ukraine I will be ready for a date with Maks
You quack me up!

I finished Mosley's "Devil in a Blue Dress" last night and immediately went out looking for the next in the series. Our library didn't have the 2nd or 3rd in book form, so I had to put the 4th on my "Later" list. While reading it I noted how much the story reminded me of the audiobook I am listening to, short stories of Lawrence Block's protagonist Matthew Scudder. I would love to hear an interview between Block and Mosley. Other than their color I bet they have a lot in common.

I've got just over an hour of the short stories left, but I don't think it's too soon to say that I will be looking for more of the Lawrence Block stories, too.

Next up on my reading stack: "Killing Mister Watson" (Shadow Country Trilogy #1) by Peter Matthiessen. This will be my first time to read Matthiessen, but I hope I will love it because all the story descriptions sound interesting.

Old 11-25-2015, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
That's a whole lotta reading going on there! Must be the weather has you indoors?
Just been in a crazy reading mood this month. Taking advantage of it and well avoiding things like housework so I can read more.

Old 11-25-2015, 09:32 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,319,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post

I finished Mosley's "Devil in a Blue Dress" last night and immediately went out looking for the next in the series. Our library didn't have the 2nd or 3rd in book form, so I had to put the 4th on my "Later" list. While reading it I noted how much the story reminded me of the audiobook I am listening to, short stories of Lawrence Block's protagonist Matthew Scudder. I would love to hear an interview between Block and Mosley. Other than their color I bet they have a lot in common.

Lawrence Block. Yes!
I immediately think of the time that Matthew Scudder went on a blind date. As they were talking he asked her what she did for a living and she said she was a poetry therapist. She used poetry as a form of therapy for her patients.

Matthew said she could probably help him, too, with the poetry therapy because he suffered from "Edna St. Vincent Malaise."

I read that years ago and still start laughing just thinking about it.

Old 11-26-2015, 04:52 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,845,164 times
Quote:
I just finished Orest Stelmach's The Boy From Reactor 4. Woowee. What a ride. It's one of the most exciting books I have ever read. It's a fast read, well written with gloriously depicted characters.

Reactor 4 is in the Chernobyl Zone. The book takes place in NYC, Ukraine, Russia and Alaska.
It has so many twists and turns that I could not predict them. It's book one of a series and they are all for sale for $1.99 on Amazon for the Kindle. The twists and turns remind me of "North by Northwest."

I learned a lot about Ukraine and the knowledge is in no way burdensome. It's interesting stuff.

Here is the deal: Now that I know so much about Ukraine I will be ready for a date with Maks
This sounds really interesting!

I couldn't finish Travels with Charley, just didn't find it engaging or interesting. Steinbeck as a narrator makes me feel like he's one of those people who speaks in a monotone and puts you to sleep, not my type of storyteller.

Not sure if I'm going to start The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd, now or The House Next Door by Anne River Siddons that I picked up from the library yesterday.

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

Last edited by i_love_autumn; 11-26-2015 at 06:15 AM..

Old 11-26-2015, 05:21 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,186,065 times
The Sarashina Diary, a new translation with commentary by Sonja Arntzen and Ito Moriyuki.

Old 11-26-2015, 06:17 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,546,726 times
Quote:
... Matthew said she could probably help him, too, with the poetry therapy because he suffered from "Edna St. Vincent Malaise." ...
I'm chuckling myself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
... Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!
Back at you, Autumn, and to all our reader friends here. Ditto what she said!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books