Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2015, 08:13 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,057,136 times

Advertisements

Rosemary: The Hidden Kennedy Daughter by Kate Clifford Larson

This is the story of the oldest Kennedy daughter who was born retarded, suffered immensely in her life, and ended up with a pre-frontal lobotomy, which ended any chance of her resembling normal. They hid her away all her life so that the Kennedy dynasty would not be tarnished by this imperfect child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2015, 10:32 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,605,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Rosemary: The Hidden Kennedy Daughter by Kate Clifford Larson

This is the story of the oldest Kennedy daughter who was born retarded, suffered immensely in her life, and ended up with a pre-frontal lobotomy, which ended any chance of her resembling normal. They hid her away all her life so that the Kennedy dynasty would not be tarnished by this imperfect child.
75 years ago this was quite the stigma, nothing like today. A very sad story though. Not sure I could read it.

Old 11-27-2015, 03:48 AM

29 posts, read 23,001 times
A Tale of Two Cities and Kokoro by Natsume Sōseki, the latter being the most gloomy book I've ever touched since Wuthering Heights.

Old 11-27-2015, 08:12 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,703,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Next up on my reading stack: "Killing Mister Watson" (Shadow Country Trilogy #1) by Peter Matthiessen. This will be my first time to read Matthiessen, but I hope I will love it because all the story descriptions sound interesting.
My brother loves Matthiessen and has recommended all of his books to me over the years. The only one I ever finished was At Play in the Fields of the Lord, which I loved. I couldn't get into Killing Mister Watson but may give it another try if you like it.

I'm not making much progress on The Angel of Darkness but I'm not going to give up yet. I've been busy and distracted with the holidays.

Old 11-28-2015, 07:09 AM

4,724 posts, read 4,416,945 times
Well I finally finished The Claverings. What a good book! I am going to read more by Anthony Trollope.... I always enjoy that cozy refine Brit stuff.lol

So now I have the option of 3 books I just picked up from the library-
All The Light We Cannot See ( just dont know if I have it in me- it's a big book... I might try to start it today and see if it hooks me in)
Jayber Crow
the Real Jane Austen A life in Small Things.
Each looks great... We shall see. Hope I can get back to reading.

And yes, Wuthering Heights was really dreary. I forced myself to read it as I always hear references to it- boy that was one I dont understand why it has the appeal. OH well that's what makes the world go round.

Old 11-28-2015, 07:52 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,932,114 times
I'm reading The Weight of Silence by Heather Gudenkauf - two little girls are abducted in a small town. It's a fast read but not really my type of book. I haven't read anything great in months! I need to put some effort into choosing my next book rather than just picking up something random.

Old 11-28-2015, 04:18 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,938,752 times
I finally - after several years of wanting to - am reading Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt.

Old 11-29-2015, 06:22 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,546,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
Well I finally finished The Claverings. What a good book! I am going to read more by Anthony Trollope.... I always enjoy that cozy refine Brit stuff.lol

So now I have the option of 3 books I just picked up from the library-
Jayber Crow...
I'll have to look for Trollope. I've always loved UK lit, and now that I've discovered from my DNA tests that half my origins are from there I feel an even greater affinity for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
... I haven't read anything great in months! I need to put some effort into choosing my next book rather than just picking up something random.
I know you are not alone in that. I've discussed that with several others. I think the publishing industry is becoming less discretionary about what they choose to publish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I finally - after several years of wanting to - am reading Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt.
Talk about dreary. It was well written, but having read it I could never go back to another of his works. Truly a testimony of what human life can survive.

Old 11-29-2015, 10:19 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,302,537 times
At the moment, I have a stack of them that I'm trying to tackle.

Old 11-29-2015, 04:32 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,938,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post

Talk about dreary. It was well written, but having read it I could never go back to another of his works. Truly a testimony of what human life can survive.
I'm about 1/3 into Angela's Ashes ... and I'm loving it. It is gritty and an unromanticized account of dire poverty, alcoholism, dysfunctional parenting and angst. I like it because it gives me a glimpse of life that is so far removed from my own happy middle-class suburban childhood in sunny South Florida.

One of my favorite books is A Tree Grows In Brooklyn by Betty Smith which touches on so many of the same themes.

I like light-hearted happy books as well. Who has read Auntie Mame by Patric Dennis?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books