Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2015, 02:10 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Last Summer by Evan Hunter. Our library has a Five Dollar a Bag sale going on. I had intended to get there yesterday (fail) and realized this morning so I got on my horse and headed up to the library. They still had tons of books and it continues tomorrow. (I may go back)

They also had a Christmas Items sale and I picked up two interesting items for $3. each. Well, big surprise, when I approached the desk to pay for my items, the gentleman informed me that while the $5./bag still held, (I even got a DVD in that deal!) the Christmas items were reduced by a dollar each. (I gave him the $11.00 anyway.)

So I'm reading Last Summer, planning what time I'm going back tomorrow when the items will be reduced even more - including a reduction of the $5./bag.

BONUS: I picked up a book by Frances Parkinson Keyes, one of my favorite authors of my younger years.
I would so love it if you really did ride a horse to the library.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2015, 05:27 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,437,617 times
Soon to finish another Harlan Coben book. Six Years. He can think up some wild ones, but I prefer them to be a bit more believable. It's only been the last couple or three years I've returned to reading novels. For many years I've only read non-fiction, so some fiction writers are new to me.

Old 12-01-2015, 09:43 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
I read Angela's Ashes a long time ago, and I remember really liking it. I know he wrote another book after whidh I also read and liked, (just searched for the name- 'TIS )
but not as much as Angela's Ashes. I don't remember Angela's Ashes being super dreary.....

Auntie Mame will go on my list to be read.

So I did just start All the Light We Cannot See ( I may be the only left who has not read it yet) and it sure has grabbed me.
Getting excited about reading again.
I found Angela's Ashes a compelling read. It was sad in many instances, but McCourt was gifted with the ability to see humor in many of these depressing situations. I had a friend who emigrated from Ireland and found the book too depressing because it rang so true. My own grandparents were Irish immigrants. I did like McCourt's second book, Tis. Teacher Man is McCourt's third and last book. It's about his experience as a public high school teacher in New York. His brother, Malachy, has written a book or two that I might try.

Old 12-02-2015, 05:49 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,948,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I would so love it if you really did ride a horse to the library.

Love on, Marlow. I really did. Actually, 140 horses (under the hood!) I did get some strange looks on the bridle path.

"Get on your horse" was something my uncle used to say if we were lagging behind. I guess I got it from him.

I'll be having breakfast and getting back there this morning. Hoping they had some Michener that wasn't on the sale table(s) yesterday.

This library is being very creative in getting people in the door. One of their activities is a sewing club - my 10 yr. old granddaughter attends. They had a fashion show last Sunday and the kids showed off the garments and tote bags they had made. The club is for 8 to 12 years old, meets once a week, and there's a waiting list. The demand got so big that they have added two additional classes. AND it's a mix of girls and boys.

Old 12-02-2015, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
I found Angela's Ashes a compelling read. It was sad in many instances, but McCourt was gifted with the ability to see humor in many of these depressing situations. I had a friend who emigrated from Ireland and found the book too depressing because it rang so true. My own grandparents were Irish immigrants. I did like McCourt's second book, Tis. Teacher Man is McCourt's third and last book. It's about his experience as a public high school teacher in New York. His brother, Malachy, has written a book or two that I might try.

I, too, read Angela's Ashes when first published, and then read 'tis. And one day, while watching a call-in talk show, I was excited to see Frank McCourt was the interviewee. Until I realized that this was a very dour man. During the course of taking calls, a woman called in and was so enthusiastic about the opportunity to speak to her teacher of years ago and she described how she looked forward to his class every day. He never changed expression, never thanked her for her kind words, acted as though "so what?" and in effect, made me embarrassed for her and instilled a dislike for the man that has lasted all these years. While I liked his writing style, I learned that the public persona isn't always reflected on the printed page.

I much preferred Malachy's irreverent style and I have a feeling if he encountered someone from his past under like circumstance, he'd have issued an invitation to meet at the local for a pint and have a great time reminiscing. Now please, don't somebody tell me Malachy shared his brother's flat affect. I'd be hugely disappointed.

Old 12-02-2015, 12:58 PM

Addendum to the book sale post: I went again today, (it was raining so I left the horse behind and took the car).
Picked up 11 more books and a primitive snowman for <gasp> $5.00. A couple of the books were new as in never been read and I plan on giving them away to people I know will appreciate them.

I also found out that there is a needle club that meets every Weds morning and I was invited to attend. Since I'm an avid crochet addict I may take them up on it. Of course, I scored all these books for the long dreary snow-bound Winter, but if this Spring-like weather continues unabated (it was 54F. today) I won't have to worry about inclement weather cancellations. I truly have an embarrassment of riches.

Old 12-02-2015, 01:37 PM

30,498 posts, read 16,206,257 times
started the Ghost and Mrs Muir by Josephine Leslie.

saw the movie a gazillion yrs ago and so far, am liking the book just as much.

Old 12-02-2015, 02:26 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Addendum to the book sale post: I went again today, (it was raining so I left the horse behind and took the car).
Picked up 11 more books and a primitive snowman for <gasp> $5.00. A couple of the books were new as in never been read and I plan on giving them away to people I know will appreciate them.

I also found out that there is a needle club that meets every Weds morning and I was invited to attend. Since I'm an avid crochet addict I may take them up on it. Of course, I scored all these books for the long dreary snow-bound Winter, but if this Spring-like weather continues unabated (it was 54F. today) I won't have to worry about inclement weather cancellations. I truly have an embarrassment of riches.
What is a primitive snowman?

Old 12-02-2015, 04:43 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
I finished the audiobook "Alone" (Detective D.D. Warren, #1) by Lisa Gardner.

The writing was excellent, the plot riveting, the interplay between the characters kept me interested in their motives -- who really WAS the wrong-doer behind the crimes? Still, the content -- it just was not my kind of book. For all the reasons mentioned I had to finish it, but I am not into blood and gore.

As an aside, I don't really "get" why this is labeled as a "Det. D.D. Warren" book when her role in the story barely entitles her to an honorable mention. The psychiatrist had a greater role, and was much more interesting. Had the author decided the series would center on her, I might be coaxed to read more.

Next up: "Heartbroken" by Lisa Unger; read by Amanda Carlin

Old 12-02-2015, 08:46 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
I am just about to start Fates and Furies by Lauren Groff. I can't remember where I read about this book, but I had loaded it on my Kindle a while back so I much have wanted to read it, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books