Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2015, 02:05 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times

Advertisements

I'm on book 5 of the Cousin's War (Philippa Gregory). I like the series, they are an easy, fast read.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2015, 02:10 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I finished Hearts in Atlantis by Stephen King and enjoyed it a lot. It's actually two novellas and three short stories that are tied together by common characters. The first novella has some supernatural occurrences in typical King style, but the others don't, save for a bit in the last story. Overall, it's several overlapping coming-of-age tales set in the 60's and a look at the effect the Vietnam war had on the decade and the characters.
I like interconnected stories that form a book and I like coming-of-age stories. So, if I were actually READING anything, I'd read this for sure. For now, though, I put it near the top of my "to read" list. Thanks!

Old 12-15-2015, 09:42 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
I just finished an astonishing first novel by a 50-something writer called, The Girl Who Slept with God. The writer is Val Brelinski - I looked her up. I would post a link but am on my iPad, taking a break from trying to fix mini Christmas lights. It is set in the 70s and it was so homey to read about how things were then. It is a coming-of-age story set against the background of a mid-western religious background. It does not have a happy ending so those who like happy endings should probably not read it. I felt that the ending was the only possible ending though. The only jarring note I found was the use of the slang word, 'sweet' - I don't recall that being used in the 70s but maybe things were different in the US.

I gave it five stars.

My new kitchen cupboards are supposed to be installed tomorrow but there is a snowstorm barrelling our way and I am a bit worried that the installer might not be able to come out. My house looks like a tornado hit it. It's making me crazy.

In the fantasy category, I also finally read The Goblin Emperor by Katherine Addison. It was such a thoughtful book, also a coming-of-age story, very much character driven. I gave that one five stars as well. Five stars is a rare rating for me and to have read two such books in a row is almost unheard of. I actually chose The Girl Who Slept with God because I needed to read something outside the fantasy genre since it was such a great read.

I did start one book in the fantasy genre with revolted me and might have made me toss it away had I had a paper copy. Instead I returned it electronically. I still have a foul taste in my head due to it.

Old 12-16-2015, 02:59 AM

556 posts, read 788,229 times
I just started "Rogue Lawyer" by John Grisham which is definitely a page turner. After R L I'll be reading Lee Child's latest "Make Me", then back to JD Robb's "In Death" series.

Old 12-16-2015, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I just finished an astonishing first novel by a 50-something writer called, The Girl Who Slept with God. (
That's been on my Kindle since the day it was released. I'm glad to hear that it's a great read... for when I'm reading again.

Old 12-16-2015, 11:34 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
Quote:
The only jarring note I found was the use of the slang word, 'sweet' - I don't recall that being used in the 70s but maybe things were different in the US.
So slang as in used for perhaps the word cool when describing something? Having grown up in Minnesota in the 70s and 80s I remember using it in the 80s at least, not sure about the 70s as I was too busy playing outside and reading to pay attention to that kind of thing.

Old 12-16-2015, 11:53 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
That's been on my Kindle since the day it was released. I'm glad to hear that it's a great read... for when I'm reading again.
I'm sad to hear you're not reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
So slang as in used for perhaps the word cool when describing something? Having grown up in Minnesota in the 70s and 80s I remember using it in the 80s at least, not sure about the 70s as I was too busy playing outside and reading to pay attention to that kind of thing.
Yes, slang as in 'sweet' for maybe 'great.' I don't remember that from the late 70s when I was a teenager. It jumped out at me because otherwise the references were so spot on in recalling that time. That was the only one that jumped out at me. But you know, my memory may be off....

I am now reading My Sunshine Away while waiting for my kitchen cupboard guy to finish up for the day. I am really liking it so far.

Old 12-16-2015, 11:58 AM

Quote:
I'm sad to hear you're not reading.

Yes, slang as in 'sweet' for maybe 'great.' I don't remember that from the late 70s when I was a teenager. It jumped out at me because otherwise the references were so spot on in recalling that time. That was the only one that jumped out at me. But you know, my memory may be off....

I am now reading My Sunshine Away while waiting for my kitchen cupboard guy to finish up for the day. I am really liking it so far.
All good, sweets. I'm just busy with other good stuff.

I liked My Sunshine Away very, very much. I think that you will too.

Old 12-16-2015, 12:26 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,328,392 times
I'm currently working on Doris Kearns Goodwin's The Bully Pulpit, an account of the 1912 Presidential election which split the Republican ranks between Theodore Roosevelt and William Howard Taft, and indirectly elevated Woodrow Wilson to the Presidency.

This will be my third book by Goodwin, after Lyndon Johnson and the American Dream and No Ordinary Time -- a portrait of life at Franklin Roosevelt's White House on the eve of American entry in World War II, and I have to admit that my respect for Goodwin has grown with each work.

It might be worth noting that contrary to "Pop Wisdom", Taft was no hide-bound reactionary; among other points, he was a strong advocate of the separation of church and state -- a tradition going back to his father, Judge Alphonso Taft, who voiced opposition to mandatory school prayer while a jurist in Ohio. Both men supported a number of reforms, but Taft might be characterized as more economically conservative and socially liberal/libertarian, while Roosevelt tended to follow a more populist path.

The true record of history is often hijacked for political gain (on both ends of the spectrum; consider, as a counter-example, Malcolm X) when the principals are no longer around to clarify (or in some cases, muddle) the facts.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 12-16-2015 at 01:18 PM..

Old 12-17-2015, 10:32 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,844,099 times
Was having so much fun reading ~Born to Bark: My Adventures with an Irrepressible and Unforgettable Dog by Stanley Coren , that I couldn't put it down, and read it in one day!

Now I'm about halfway through and enjoying the cozy mystery~
Here Today, Gone Tamale: A Taste of Texas Mystery by Rebecca Adler
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books