Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2015, 01:02 AM

14,520 posts, read 8,765,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by winrunner View Post
Extinction Machine (Joe Ledger #5)
by Jonathan Maberry

Still no heavy lifting, I have a couple of days But one day... one day soon, I'm going to surprise you with a Fyodor Dostoyevsky classic, The Brothers Karamazov. (I'm not going to read it right away, I'm just going to show you the cover)

Have An Amazing Day!
Well when you do read it, which translator's version do you favor? I'm particular to Princess Alexandra Kropotkin's work, which she did in 1949.

I think this book is one of the all time great works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2015, 05:20 AM

4,724 posts, read 4,415,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly-Kay View Post
Hi all, hope my CD friends had a Merry Christmas!

My book reading has slowed down. Funny how I am busier in retirement than when I owned a business. The main difference is I am having lots of fun.

Several nights ago I finished reading A Memory of Violets. I loved the book and highly recommend it. I knew that their were flower sellers in London who were small children but this book was heart wrenching and heart warming at the same time. It seemed to be well researched and it was just a joy to read. I will be looking for more stories by Hazel Gaynor.

I started reading Breaking Twig by Deborah Epperson. I was up until the early morning hours as I just couldn't find a good place to stop. It is well written and definitely keeps your interest but it is a heart breaking scenario. I hope that the book ends well but I don't know, I will just have to keep reading.
Hi Holly-Kay! Nice to see you here again. For someone who says they havent been reading much- that would be me on a good reading period--
I have added a Memory of Violets to my list. The description sounds awesome and I guess I just love the title.

Old 12-30-2015, 07:51 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,843,617 times
I finished the YA dystopian book Divergent by Veronica Roth, and loved it-5/5 stars!

Now I am gong to start Ashfall(Ashfall, #1)by Mike Mullin while I am waiting for book#2 Insurgent to be returned to the library.

Under the bubbling hot springs and geysers of Yellowstone National Park is a supervolcano. Most people don't know it's there. The caldera is so large that it can only be seen from a plane or satellite. It just could be overdue for an eruption, which would change the landscape and climate of our planet.
For Alex, being left alone for the weekend means having the freedom to play computer games and hang out with his friends without hassle from his mother. Then the Yellowstone supervolcano erupts, plunging his hometown into a nightmare of darkness, ash, and violence. Alex begins a harrowing trek to search for his family and finds help in Darla, a travel partner he meets along the way. Together they must find the strength and skills to survive and outlast an epic disaster.

Old 12-30-2015, 10:12 AM

2,322 posts, read 923,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
Well when you do read it, which translator's version do you favor? I'm particular to Princess Alexandra Kropotkin's work, which she did in 1949.

I think this book is one of the all time great works.
I'm favoring the one I paid $18.00 for It's the translation by Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky. I'm looking forward to reading this soon.

Old 12-30-2015, 11:07 AM

1,163 posts, read 1,236,301 times
I got a few books for Christmas:

Ice Storm: the rise and fall of the greatest Vancouver Canucks team by Bruce Dowbiggin
and David Beckhams bio My Side
and then I bought The Tomb by Clive Cussler so ill be busy hehe

Old 12-30-2015, 06:17 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber18 View Post
I got a few books for Christmas:

Ice Storm: the rise and fall of the greatest Vancouver Canucks team by Bruce Dowbiggin
and David Beckhams bio My Side
and then I bought The Tomb by Clive Cussler so ill be busy hehe
I think I've only read one or two Cussler's, but they are edge of your seat reading as I recall. Have fun with that!

Old 12-31-2015, 06:57 AM

496 posts, read 395,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Ha! And I havent even checked this forum for a while and there's my name! I love it and I am in renovation recovery. I feel kind of beat-up. From head to toe. All is not yet finished. I have to buy a dishwasher and get casings for the window over the sink and I haven't finished painting. But I just got to the point of not feeling I could move a muscle so I'm taking a little break. But my kitchen itself is actually so much better than I even imagined it in my wildest dreams. I swear the sink is deep enough to bathe a small person and a dog in.

I have been reading the Legend book series by Marie Lu courtesy of Ketabcha who recognized my need to escape. I finished books one and two yesterday and am about 30% of the way through book 3. It is clearly YA in that the characters are teenagers who save the world. The writing is fine, the moral dilemmas are not black and white and I would highly recommend it for 15 or 16 year old girls but at this point I am enjoying it too. Being an adult, the positions the characters hold doesn't ring true for me so I would leave it firmly in the YA category. I wouldn't see it as a book that sits on the line between YA and adult fiction.

So if anyone has more recommendations, let me know as I will soon be in need of something to read.
I know what you mean about a deep sink. When I renovated my kitchen a few years ago I opted for a Kohler Whitehaven and it is a big, deep farmhouse sink and don't juge but I've bathed my babies and my pooches in the sink. It sure is a work horse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
Hi Holly-Kay! Nice to see you here again. For someone who says they havent been reading much- that would be me on a good reading period--
I have added a Memory of Violets to my list. The description sounds awesome and I guess I just love the title.
Hi May! you will enjoy the book. I hope it is one that Autumn decides to read. A bit of a love story but no sex and I loved that their were no true villains after you got past the father early on in the story.

Old 12-31-2015, 08:05 AM

983 posts, read 994,713 times
Finally Read To Kill A Mockingbird
Omg, omg, omg, what a book!

I have a funny story to go along with it. Last night, I wanted to finish it, so I was reading in bed. At the end I was thinking, "I hope I don't have nightmares over this." Just then I looked and my dark cat jumped on the bed and just appeared. Scared me, scared him, then I started cracking up laughing.

Old 12-31-2015, 10:52 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,327,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
I finished the YA dystopian book Divergent by Veronica Roth, and loved it-5/5 stars!
The entire series is really good, and if you liked Divergent you will like the remaining installments. Also, if you like the entire series and haven't read them already the Uglies series by Scott Westerfeld are a really good YA dystopian read in line with Roth's series.

Old 12-31-2015, 12:08 PM

1,659 posts, read 1,657,658 times
Salem's Lot for about the tenth time. My favorite King book!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books