Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2016, 06:32 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,368,927 times

Advertisements

Didn't see a Stephen King thread on first page, so...
"Bazaar of Bad Dreams", Stephen King's latest short story collection
(many prev. published, but I'd only read the two which had been in The New Yorker magazine, otherwise it was all new to me).
I'm almost 1/3 through the 500 page book. A couple were kinda' blah, but it's mostly entertaining enough-
while I wait for third/final part of the Mr. Mercedes trilogy and/or another single long story from him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2016, 09:57 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,932,925 times
I am about 10% into Unbecoming by Rebecca Scherm. I took the recommendation from the NY Times Best Books of 2015. So far, I'm not thinking that it will be making my list of best books. Some of the characters and settings seem like they belong in the late 1800s but the book is present day. And the flash backs to the characters as teenagers are completely unrealistic with the young people having thoughts and schemes that are way, way too advanced for young teens. Not sure how much longer I will hang in...

Old 01-02-2016, 10:25 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,254,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I am about 10% into Unbecoming by Rebecca Scherm. I took the recommendation from the NY Times Best Books of 2015. So far, I'm not thinking that it will be making my list of best books. Some of the characters and settings seem like they belong in the late 1800s but the book is present day. And the flash backs to the characters as teenagers are completely unrealistic with the young people having thoughts and schemes that are way, way too advanced for young teens. Not sure how much longer I will hang in...

I read a few chapters and could not get into the writing or story line.

Old 01-02-2016, 12:01 PM

496 posts, read 395,735 times
Starting the New Year reading "One Second After". As if I don't have enough to worry about! I know that EMPs are a serious threat to our country but this book makes it too real for words. It sucks you in and scares the crap out of you when you realize how vulnerable we are to this! I am 56% through, can't stop reading it because it keeps sucking me in but I can't wait to move on and bury my head back in the sand.

When I finish this I will probably read Pause to Rewind.

Happy New Year, and Happy Reading to all my CD friends!!!

Old 01-02-2016, 10:36 PM

8,665 posts, read 5,845,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly-Kay View Post
Starting the New Year reading "One Second After". As if I don't have enough to worry about! I know that EMPs are a serious threat to our country but this book makes it too real for words. It sucks you in and scares the crap out of you when you realize how vulnerable we are to this! I am 56% through, can't stop reading it because it keeps sucking me in but I can't wait to move on and bury my head back in the sand.

When I finish this I will probably read Pause to Rewind.

Happy New Year, and Happy Reading to all my CD friends!!!

I'm waiting for the Kindle version to be returned to my library! I believe an EMP is our most serious threat from terrorists with the entire US on the same electrical grid, and no manual backups, what morons planned that!

Old 01-02-2016, 11:13 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,705,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I just finished listening to Jaber Crow on audiobook.

I could give this book ten stars because no matter how many times I may read it, and I will read it at least once more, I will get something new from it. It is a book that keeps on giving.

I first "met" Wendell in the '70s when I found his "Mad Farmer's Liberation Font" poem on the margin of a Mother Earth Catalog. I cut the poem out an had it next to me at my desk throughout my working life into the 90s. It was the road not taken, but I loved it as if it were home.

This book is like that. It reminded me of beloved places I've never been, and of beloved people I've never known. I listened to this copy on audio book, but I think I am going to have to buy it because it is a book I don't want to be without. I will keep it next to my Bible.

Next up: "Family Honor" by Robert B. Parker
I felt the same way about Jayber Crow but would have never been able to say it as well.

Old 01-02-2016, 11:19 PM

2,405 posts, read 1,445,646 times
I'm reading "According to Queeney".

Old 01-02-2016, 11:21 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
The Bible
A History of Angels <not the actual title>
The Purpose Driven Life <the original>

Old 01-02-2016, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
It really makes me sad that Hunger Games is so popular and especially that they are recommended to kids! With the problem of bullying and cruelty in society, it is really sad that any author would even dream up such a nasty premise with teens as her target audience!
In defense of The Hunger Games, the series is actually a fairly sophisticated study of power and politics packaged as YA dystopian fiction. I didn't want to read it for the same reasons you mention, but decided to read it after my daughter read it. The books don't glorify violence but rather condemn it and the way governments manipulate communities into warring with each other to distract people from what is really happening. I enjoyed the series and especially the last book.

Old 01-02-2016, 11:39 PM

I read We Are Water by Wally Lamb over the holidays. I'd call it domestic fiction on steroids--child sexual abuse, murder, racism, divorce, gay marriage--Lamb threw it all in the mix. It's not a story that I'd typically be interested in, but the characters are complex and well-drawn and he ties it all up in the end.

Now I need to check my TBR against the online library catalog and figure out what I'm going to read next. Happy New Year to all of you and may 2016 be filled with books you can't put down!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books