Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2016, 09:22 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,057,498 times

Advertisements

11/22/63 by Stephen King. A little slow to begin but it's picking up now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 09:25 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,207,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsydevil82 View Post
finished that about a month ago. after page 50 it's hard to put down.

Old 01-12-2016, 09:36 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,249,859 times
Finishing up Margaret Atwood's Stone Mattress today. I don't normally read short story collections but got this one when I requested anything written by Atwood from the librarian and received it through the inter-library loan. Out of the 8 short stories that I've read so far, all 8 dealt with death in one form or another. I was surprised at the amount of sexuality in these stories considering that the characters are elderly. To be honest, I'm unsure about how I felt about this work.

Also finishing up MaddAddam by Atwood and this one has taken me a long time to finish. As I mentioned before this one has a Terry Pratchett feel in the writing style.

Next up Gregory Beneford's The Sunborn.

Old 01-12-2016, 10:53 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
I'm "in a mood," so I bought myself a treat, a book that I've been eyeing since it came out in August 2015.

It's called Harriet Wolf's Seventh Book of Wonders (by Julianna Baggott).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...f_rd_i=desktop

I'll start it this evening. If it sucks, I'll be even MORE "in a mood" since it's been quite a while since I've read anything. It better not suck.

Old 01-12-2016, 02:39 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,144,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I am reading The Orphan Master's Son, by Adam Johnson. I must have requested this book after reading that it was a Pulitzer winner for fiction. I would never have thought that I could get involved in a book about North Korea, but there it is. I am.

I am finding the book absolutely fascinating. Just be glad you don't live in North Korea, folks! It is an awful, awful place. But the book is interesting.
I finished the book a couple of days ago and made an entry for it in my book journal. It was hard to know what to write about. There are so many threads and developments. Some have suggested the second part uses magic realism, but I don't know about that. Maybe. You do have suspend your disbelief.

I stand by my recommendation. It is an amazing, well written, interesting look at the people of North Korea. You might not be able to put it down after you start reading it.

I have picked up Angle of Repose, by Wallace Stegner. http://www.amazon.com/Angle-Repose-W...=UTF8&qid=&sr=

This is supposed to be his masterpiece. If I had read it when he wrote it, I probably would not have enjoyed it. Stegner is obviously disillusioned with people of my generation. It should be an interesting read.

Old 01-12-2016, 07:03 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsydevil82 View Post
My one and only Stephen King. Couldn't get it out of my mind for the longest time. Enjoy!

Old 01-13-2016, 06:53 AM

443 posts, read 437,458 times
Just started "The Girl in the Spider's Web" today. I'm hoping it'll be as good as the previous three in the series because those books sucked me in.

Old 01-13-2016, 07:53 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Where You Once Belonged by Kent Haruf was good, but not as heartfelt and moving as the Plainsong trilogy. It sort of felt like he was warming up with WYOB. I imagine it's just a function of his become a better writer as time went on. By all means read it if you're the mood for a quiet study of people in a small town, but don't expect to love it as much as you loved Plainsong (assuming you did ).

I picked up The Wright Brothers by David McCullough. I've loved the other stuff I've read by him.

Old 01-13-2016, 08:53 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
I finished listening to "The Kite Runner" yesterday, read by the author The Kite Runner, Khaled Hosseini.

His writing was riveting. I was thrilled by the two boys playing, dismayed when the glimmer of darker thoughts colored that rosy picture, and enraged by its ugly head rearing over them, destroying those halcyon days. I considered not reading further, so angry with the character's lack of backbone. And then the roller coaster started to rise again. (Yes, apparently though I am almost 60 I am still too impressionable. )

I gave it five stars. I already added his next book to my TRL.

Old 01-13-2016, 08:54 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,110,561 times
Monster by Steven Jackson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books