Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2016, 08:29 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I abandoned "The Goldfinch" at pg. 395. To go further would've required a lobotomy, or to become permanently catatonic. Too bad Tartt never read Hemmingway. She would've learned how to make a point in half the pages.
Noooooooo! Don't do it! I assume they're still in Las Vegas at that point? Yes, that part gets a bit tedious but it's worth it to push on through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2016, 10:51 AM

75 posts, read 43,801 times
Quote:
I abandoned "The Goldfinch" at pg. 395. To go further would've required a lobotomy, or to become permanently catatonic. Too bad Tartt never read Hemmingway. She would've learned how to make a point in half the pages.
I agree. I finished the book, but it was a struggle. The end was particularly "preachy" and I thought it would never end. One thing I will note, I often think of this book even though I can't recommend it.

Old 02-02-2016, 11:58 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Noooooooo! Don't do it! I assume they're still in Las Vegas at that point? Yes, that part gets a bit tedious but it's worth it to push on through.

I agree!! That monotonous, slow, anxious feeling in Las Vegas seemed purposeful to me. I really felt like her writing during those Las Vegas days led to a languid feeling just like the characters experienced. I loved this book, but to each his own read!

Old 02-02-2016, 03:32 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloven View Post
Just finished “Stuff: Compulsive Hoarding and the Meaning of Things” by Randy Frost & Gail Steketee (2010).
Enjoyed it a bunch (the topic fascinates me), it was book I requested via inter-library loan.
Great overview of how hoarding can manifest in variety of individuals and circumstances.

Now am halfway through “Stoned: A Doctor’s Case for Medical Marijuana” by David Casarett, M.D. (2015), which I ran across on the New Books shelf.
It's pretty even-handed, in that it carefully tacks the line between extreme (simplistic) views on either side of the debate.

Waiting on availability of a couple other books I placed reserves/holds on at library, incl. Jenny Lawson's memoir "Furiously Happy"-
she's better known by her online persona, The Bloggess (have read a few of her blog posts & admit I found them zany yet relatable, and hilarious).
They all sound good to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
How to Loom Knit Socks
How to make the Crodile Stitch in crochet

Pretty exciting reading going on in our home........
It's useful reading

Quote:
I worry about "too many words" and that's why I keep putting it off. My husband says I talk like that with too much detail. He teases me and often wants to know what my point is, lol. And when I don't give details he's lost

I should finish Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl by Harriet Jacobs later tonight and I started The Devil in The White City….ooh it's going to be good

Old 02-02-2016, 04:14 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
I agree with you, Marlow, 100%.

Last edited by Ketabcha; 02-02-2016 at 04:28 PM..

Old 02-02-2016, 04:44 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
okay have these three on my hold at the library was wondering if any of you fine people have read any of these and what was your opinion of them thanks in advance .
The cherry harvest by Lucy sanna
Mrs Sinclairs suitcase by Louise walters
Unspeakable things by Kathleen spivack

Old 02-02-2016, 06:58 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
okay have these three on my hold at the library was wondering if any of you fine people have read any of these and what was your opinion of them thanks in advance .
The cherry harvest by Lucy sanna
Mrs Sinclairs suitcase by Louise walters
Unspeakable things by Kathleen spivack

I haven't read them but I've had Mrs Sinclairs Suitcase on my list since last February. Can't wait to hear what you think.

Old 02-02-2016, 07:27 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
Actually, I thought she put way too much effort into the Vegas portion, but I stuck through that. Then came the tedium of his coming of age in NYC -- and not really becoming a character that I wanted to stay with to the end. If he showed promise of becoming a likable character, maybe. Even without Theo's character flaws,
I just wasn't seeing enough progression in the plot. IMO, she could've cut 45% of the book, told the same story, and nothing material would've been lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjagginyinz View Post
I agree. I finished the book, but it was a struggle. The end was particularly "preachy" and I thought it would never end. One thing I will note, I often think of this book even though I can't recommend it.
My DH said almost the same when he finished reading the book, but I went in anyway because his primary reading is more intense mysteries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I agree!! That monotonous, slow, anxious feeling in Las Vegas seemed purposeful to me. I really felt like her writing during those Las Vegas days led to a languid feeling just like the characters experienced. I loved this book, but to each his own read!
Honestly, Marlow and PTL, it was the fact that you both, and Ketabcha liked the book that kept me going through LV.

Bottom line FOR ME, I think the author is much to enamored with her own writing, and the publishers didn't have the chutzpah to push her for edits. The fact that she got a Pulitzer didn't impress me, but maybe that's because so many other works that boast the award have lacked luster for me, as well. Her writing is sound -- there's just too much superfluous stuff there that didn't add to the characterization, promote the plot, or lead to the denouement.

We've agreed on many other titles, just not on this one.

Old 02-02-2016, 07:30 PM

"A Change in Altitude" by Anita Shreve.

Old 02-02-2016, 09:37 PM

I finished listening to "Rules of Civility" by Amor Towles; read by Rebecca Lowman. I loved it. I've already tagged his "Eve in Hollywood" for my TRL. It made the late 30s come alive for me, reminding me of stories I used to hear from my Grandma. Kate's story of Evie and Tinker brought memories of tales about Zelda and Fitz. Loved it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books