Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2016, 11:15 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,523,538 times

Advertisements

I finished reading Anita Shreve's "A Change in Altitude" and felt cheated. The characters seemed robotic, going through the author's programmed responses without conveying anything substantial about their inner lives. Ghosts of robots, actually. I won't be looking for more of her works, though from the looks of her Goodreads page she's been prolific. I suppose it isn't difficult to crank them out when there is no real substance included.

Next up: "The Purity of Vengeance" by Jussi Adler-Olsen
Time for a good comic mystery to clear my head of literary wanna be authors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2016, 12:46 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,663,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
So a couple weeks ago I was helping my mother - who is in the early stages of Alzheimer's - move from one assisted-living facility to another. As I was packing up her stuff, I was weeding out some of her reading material. One of these was a new copy of Richard Matheson's I Am Legend. "I have no idea where that came from," she said. "I certainly don't want it." We'd had this conversation before. I bought it for her, after she specifically asked for it. And I double-checked that it was indeed what she wanted, because I was baffled that she would have an interest in such a book. Anyway, since she didn't want it, since I'd paid for it, and since I'd been mildly amused at the Charlton Heston adaptation of the novel, called Omega Man and released in 1971, I thought I'd give it a try.

So I packed it in after being put through the long saga of the dog, only to have the beast unceremoniously rubbed out in a passage that didn't even make it as far as the right margin of the page. That was my breaking point. Happily, I'm now knee-deep into a sublime post-apocalyptic novel that is a surprising and delightful piece of literature: Peter Heller's The Dog Stars. When I'm done, I'll share my thoughts on it.
Have you seen the Will Smith version of I Am Legend? My brother and SIL let my daughter watch it (without my permission) when she was about 8 and it scared her so much I had to take her to a therapist. Other people have also said it really got under their skin.

I loved The Dog Stars but thought the ending was rushed. I'll look forward to your thoughts.

Old 02-05-2016, 04:35 PM

496 posts, read 393,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsydevil82 View Post
Just finished 11.22.63 by Stephen King...amazing story...loved it.

Just started The Sound of Gravel by Ruth Wariner. It's a memoir about growing up in a polygamist cult.
i loved 11/22/63 also! it was a great read.

I finally finished The Summer House. It was a good book, I would give it 3 1/2 stars. The one genre I loathe is romance but the storyline was enjoyable and so well written that I didn't even realize that it could be categorized as a romance until almost the end. Anyway a good book that would have been more enjoyable if the print had been larger.

I would like to read The Swans of Fifth Avenue but it is ridiculously priced at Amazon and our library only has it in regular book format so I am looking for something else to read. Eventually when I just can't stand it anymore I will capitulate and purchase it. I think now that Amazon has us all hooked they jacked the Kindle book prices up.

Old 02-05-2016, 05:55 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,911,707 times
I am reading Chris Bohaljian's Guest Room. I was going to quit it until I realized that I was 91% finished! Seriously - I read 9/10ths of a book and didn't really care to finish?!? That tells you what a dud it is. In a nutshell, an upstanding father/husband hosts a bachelor party for his brother in his suburban home - strippers who are really underage sex slaves come, the expected debauchery occurs, the unexpected murder occurs... innocent lives fall apart....

Don't bother. I might or might not bother with the last 10%.

Old 02-05-2016, 06:03 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,241,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly-Kay View Post
i loved 11/22/63 also! it was a great read.

I finally finished The Summer House. It was a good book, I would give it 3 1/2 stars. The one genre I loathe is romance but the storyline was enjoyable and so well written that I didn't even realize that it could be categorized as a romance until almost the end. Anyway a good book that would have been more enjoyable if the print had been larger.

I would like to read The Swans of Fifth Avenue but it is ridiculously priced at Amazon and our library only has it in regular book format so I am looking for something else to read. Eventually when I just can't stand it anymore I will capitulate and purchase it. I think now that Amazon has us all hooked they jacked the Kindle book prices up.
I just downloaded The Swans of Fifth Avenue from my library. have you tried recommending it? Lately, it's been working for me.

Last edited by tigerlily; 02-05-2016 at 06:06 PM.. Reason: Addition.

Old 02-05-2016, 06:06 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,262,551 times
some murder mystery. McGhee?

Old 02-06-2016, 06:07 AM

20,549 posts, read 30,338,292 times
I just finished Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl for a book challenge. A wonderful true account of Harriet Jacobs who was a slave before the civil war. It is her fight for freedom and all that she endured to be free from slavery.

and
The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America which was great. I love Erik Larson's books. He tells such vivid descriptions of history. This is the story of Chicago's World's Fair at the end of the 1800's. It goes into detail of the architects who built the fair, what it took and how many lives were changed during it and after it. Simultaneously it tells of a true sociopath who's hunting grounds are a few blocks away from the fair location. I am amazed how we still haven't learned. So many men rode the highs and good times of the fair and were left destitute. Too many people had such a bad ending.

Now I am reading a story about Japanese internment camps, When The Emperor Was Divine Robot Check

Hmm…not a dazzling portrayal of American history.

and a book I won, The Good Goodbye, Robot Check which I need to finish for a discussion tomorrow.

Old 02-06-2016, 07:40 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,262,551 times
Okay, it's McNally's Chance. Third one I've read. Great plays on words throughout.

Old 02-06-2016, 07:41 AM

313 posts, read 1,051,400 times
I'm reading The Psychopath Test: A Journey Through the Madness Industry by Jon Ronson. I chose it for a reading challenge- the task is a book about science and this book was one of the suggestions. I'm about 1/5 of the way in and it's just ok. I didn't want to read anything too science-y because I don't have a strong science background. But I may look for something else. I read So You've Been Publicly Shamed by the same author and I though it was a shallow treatment of the topic and this book seems to be the same. He's a good writer but his style's not appealing to me.

Old 02-06-2016, 07:47 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,523,538 times
After reading my review of Anita Shreve's "Change in Altitude" in Goodreads, via Facebook, a friend advised me not to cast her other works aside so quickly, and suggested that I read "The Weight of Water" and/or "The Pilot's Wife."

Does anyone here have anything to say about either work?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books