Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2016, 06:14 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,023,177 times

Advertisements

younglisa that book , the good goodbye was excellent but I m not sure who started the fire ? can you tell me in a dm . thank you dear .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2016, 06:56 PM

4,712 posts, read 4,390,479 times
Well my TBR list is ever growing. I just started Americanah for book club. It's definitely got my interest but as usual I just don't seem to have the discipline to read that regularly. I realize it's not really a question of having the time because I do; I just seem to veg out and spend too much time surfing the web.
In any case, I am only about 1/5 through it and it's about a Nigerian woman who has come to the US , lived here for 15 years and is now going back. The part I have read is more about her leaving Nigeria. The writing is very appealing and captivating.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americanah

Old 02-14-2016, 05:28 AM

20,549 posts, read 30,338,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
Just finished Salt To The Sea by Ruta Sepetys. I loved it, which is so weird (as we all know) how weird that is when the book is about tragedy. I recommend this book to anyone remotely interested in reading it. Told from 4 points of view, it tells the story of the tragic sinking of the Wilhelm Gustloff during WWII, which was the worst maritime disaster in history claiming over 9000 lives.
I really liked Between the Shades of Gray. Thanks for the reminder…I now have this one on hold at my library

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post

Wouldn't one think that during those history classes we took for 12+ years we would have heard of the "worst maritime disaster" in the history of the world? I don't recall ever hearing the name spoken in any of my history classes. Of course, there is a distinct possibility that I was busy doodling in my notebook and not paying attention to the teacher when that subject was mentioned.
I was probably watching the clock, lol. Seriously though I think our history lessons were biased. Also a lot of things were missed We may absorb more when we are younger but I don't think we can comprehend or appreciate a lot of history until we are older.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
younglisa that book , the good goodbye was excellent but I m not sure who started the fire ? can you tell me in a dm . thank you dear .
Sent it to you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
Well my TBR list is ever growing. I just started Americanah for book club. It's definitely got my interest but as usual I just don't seem to have the discipline to read that regularly. I realize it's not really a question of having the time because I do; I just seem to veg out and spend too much time surfing the web.
In any case, I am only about 1/5 through it and it's about a Nigerian woman who has come to the US , lived here for 15 years and is now going back. The part I have read is more about her leaving Nigeria. The writing is very appealing and captivating.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americanah
That one has been on my list for awhile now….but I am bogged down with books. Next month I have to do less challenges, lol.

Yay….I finally got A Little Life from my library. I just started it and taking it a little at a time. I am also reading Anna and the French Kiss for a buddy read….oy vey…what a piece of fluff…not sure if I will finish. We'll see. Talk about one extreme to another, lol.

Old 02-14-2016, 06:23 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,827,961 times
Finished~Lab 257: The Disturbing Story of the Government's Secret Germ Laboratory by Michael C. Carroll 5/5 stars Terrifying and enraging, to learn how many diseases are "lab-created" and what our immoral government, through many eras and different administrations does with these diseases! Also how moronic and totally inept these idiots are at keeping their hideous creations contained.
Not an easy book to read, but if you hate being surprised and conned as I do, by those in power, this book explains a lot.

Just started~The Sparrow (The Sparrow, #1)by Mary Doria Russell In 2019, humanity finally finds proof of extraterrestrial life when a listening post in Puerto Rico picks up exquisite singing from a planet that will come to be known as Rakhat. While United Nations diplomats endlessly debate a possible first contact mission, the Society of Jesus quietly organizes an eight-person scientific expedition of its own. What the Jesuits find is a world so beyond comprehension that it will lead them to question what it means to be human.

Then although I rarely do audio-books... the review by Kristen Heitzmann on the goodreads page for ~The Beautiful Mystery (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache #8)by Louise Penny has convinced me that this is an experience not to be missed and I have reserved this format at my library. I love Gregorian chants so I am really excited about listening to this story. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...utiful-mystery

Old 02-14-2016, 07:04 AM

26,664 posts, read 26,641,826 times
Jan Jarboe Russell's The Train to Crystal City, about the family internment camp in Crystal City, TX during WWII. It's actually so depressing that I may not finish it.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/19/bo...sell.html?_r=1

Old 02-14-2016, 06:39 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,839,690 times
Just this AM I started reading: The Art of Mesoamerica- From Olmec to Aztec by Mary Ellen Miller (revised edition- 1996)

I've had this book for a long time and honestly I do not remember where or when I acquired it. It was finally time to take it from my book shelf and read it. The book has many fascinating illustrations including art pieces and the pyramids like The Sun of Teotihuacan.

Old 02-15-2016, 07:03 AM

67,652 posts, read 60,604,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I'm trying to read The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon by Stephen King, but am having a hard time accepting the initial premise. It's about a little girl who gets lost in the woods. I know that happens even to people with lots of outdoors experience, but this girl has done some things that just don't make any sense. I may skip to the end to see what happens.

I'm in a newly formed book club and our first book is Lamb by Christopher Moore. I read it several years ago and loved it, so am looking forward to the reread. But I have to order it if I'm going to read it.
I just read that book after gaining some new appreciation for Stephen King upon finishing 11/22/63. It was interesting and being so short it was an easy read. I liked it.

With Stephen King, I always have to suspend reality - LOL.

I just finished "Road To Little Dribbling" by Bill Bryson, one of my alltime favorite authors. IT WAS FANTASTIC. Now I'm reading "Foundation: The History of England from it's Earliest Beginnings to the Tudors" and it's excellent. I love British culture and British history.

Old 02-15-2016, 09:16 AM

4,712 posts, read 4,390,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I just read that book after gaining some new appreciation for Stephen King upon finishing 11/22/63. It was interesting and being so short it was an easy read. I liked it.

With Stephen King, I always have to suspend reality - LOL.

I just finished "Road To Little Dribbling" by Bill Bryson, one of my alltime favorite authors. IT WAS FANTASTIC. Now I'm reading "Foundation: The History of England from it's Earliest Beginnings to the Tudors" and it's excellent. I love British culture and British history.
Stephen kng does not appeal to me but the other 2 you mention sure do. And who would have thought with your user name that you would love Brit culture and history?
I love it too and read lots of it but rarely retain much. So each time it's familiar but new.......although I was dazzled to learn and have retained the parents of your user name. that one stays with me.

Old 02-15-2016, 10:04 AM

4,793 posts, read 2,786,236 times
Default Lots of history there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
Stephen kng does not appeal to me but the other 2 you mention sure do. And who would have thought with your user name that you would love Brit culture and history?
I love it too and read lots of it but rarely retain much. So each time it's familiar but new.......although I was dazzled to learn and have retained the parents of your user name. that one stays with me.
Yah. Read the Richard Sharpe novels - about half of them were set in Portugal/Spain during the Napoleonic Wars. Sean Bean does a nice job in the BBC (?) adaptations as Sharpe, I recommend them. Spain, Portugal, UK, Ireland, France were all over each other militarily & dynastically. & Europe in general was nearly a free-for-all for a long time.

Old 02-15-2016, 04:33 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,246,831 times
Finished up Voices in Summer by Rosamunde Pilcher. It was a very enjoyable read, and I enjoyed the little bit of mystery at the end of the novel. Personally, I think this book appeals to many generations

Next up Winter Solstice also by Rosamunde Pilcher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books