Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2016, 12:57 PM

7,306 posts, read 9,314,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Can you use the paperwhite at night and see the print? I have an original basic kindle and I need a light to read at night.

OK…craziness happening here. We unexpectedly sold our house this weekend. We have to be moved out in 4 weeks…that's a lot of stuff to move.

Won't be reading much.

I will be starting The Lake House for a group read tomorrow. I have no idea how long it will take me to read it. I need to get an audiobook for the ride back north so I need to make time for a library trip.
Yes, it has that backlit something that people post about. It's very nice to be able to read in the dark but at the same time, you can also read in bright sunlight. I never had the basic Kindle so I don't know what the comparison is. With the Paperwhite, if you get the free 3G, you can buy books instantly no matter where you are and download directly onto the Kindle. For a book lover, it's like having a direct line to God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2016, 06:19 PM

4,723 posts, read 4,413,722 times
Well my reading break was a few days. I read Miss Dimple Suspects ; someone on another forum mentioned it and I thought the name was adorable. It takes place in the south during World War 2 and it was sweet and enjoyable (mostly) but kind of very predictable. It reminded me of reading Nancy Drew books when I was in 5th grade.
I just started MOLOKA'I which was recommended on another forum as well, historical fiction about a leper colony in Hawaii. I had never heard of it or anything about it, but it sounds very interesting.

Old 03-07-2016, 08:30 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
I finished reading Lamb for the second time and loved it as much as I did the first time.

Now I'm reading City of Thieves by David Benioff which was much loved and recommended on here. I'm certainly enjoying it so far.

Old 03-07-2016, 04:54 PM

522 posts, read 715,232 times
After The Crash and Before The Fall by Noah Hawley both excellent works of fiction.

Old 03-07-2016, 05:18 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times
Started listening to Lee Childs' first Jack Reacher novel today, "The Killing Floor." So far so good.

I am enjoying reading Rushdie's "The Enchantress of Florence." I get mesmerized in the stories.

Old 03-07-2016, 08:25 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I tried to read Why We Came to the City by Kristopher Jansma. It had all the elements that appeal to me -- a core group of friends, New York City, bits of drama, lots of real life, a comparison to A Little Life (which I loved).

Winner, winner, chicken dinner, right?

Ohmygod, no.

No. No, no, no. No.

I can't tell you the number of times that I -- literally -- fell asleep while trying to read this book. (I didn't even get to 20% and I've had the book for two weeks.) It's a good sedative, I'll give it that. But nothing more. The characters are flat, the dialogue is flat, the stories are flat. I almost flat-lined.
So. When I came upon the abomination known as Why We Came to the City by Kristopher Jansma (see above), which is his second novel, I saw that his first novel had received some great reviews. And because I'm a glutton for punishment, I picked it up at the library today. Well, the joke's on me. It's called The Unchangeable Spots of Leopards and I'm on page 75 and it's terrific. Go figure.

Old 03-08-2016, 02:00 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,448,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
So. When I came upon the abomination known as Why We Came to the City by Kristopher Jansma (see above), which is his second novel, I saw that his first novel had received some great reviews. And because I'm a glutton for punishment, I picked it up at the library today. Well, the joke's on me. It's called The Unchangeable Spots of Leopards and I'm on page 75 and it's terrific. Go figure.
Isn't it funny how that happens? I read "The Mermaid Chair" by Sue Monk Kidd first and HATED, HATED, HATED it. So I was hesitant to read "The Secret Lives of Bees" despite several recommendations and I loved it.

I'm currently reading "Four Blind Mice" by James Patterson while waiting for "The Boys in the Boat." It's not really grabbing my attention like the Alex Cross novels normally do, sadly.

Old 03-08-2016, 04:45 PM

7,306 posts, read 9,314,019 times
I'm reading Orhan's Inheritance which is about, I think, since I've not gotten that far yet, the Armenian genocide but I've also been dabbling into a bio of Willie Nelson (I watched the new documentary on Loretta Lynn and that got me to wondering about some of the country singers). And if none of the above works out for me at this time, then I'm going to start The Bottoms as recommended by Mark in another thread.

Old 03-08-2016, 06:29 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,312,432 times
Good news for readers of Maeve Binchy. Her editors and publisher have published a book of her "stories."
The book came out this year and it's wonderful. Title: A Few of the Girls.

There is something so calming about her books. Sad things happen. People get through the sad times.
The stories always have a smashing (in a good way) ending.

Here 'tis:

http://www.amazon.com/Few-Girls-Stor...s+maeve+binchy

Old 03-09-2016, 01:29 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Several......some I have mentioned before and am still reading from time to time, others I have started like
The Hungry Ocean: A Swordboat Captain's Journey: Linda Greenlaw: 9780786885411: Amazon.com: Books
and
http://www.amazon.com/Ship-Who-Sang-...ship+that+sang
and
http://www.amazon.com/Living-Alone-L...barbara+feldon

A question or two.

First, have you ever "looked up" and realized all these books you have lying around that you haven't finished? That's the situation here, so I think I'm going to just gather them up and start reading at least a page or two from each a day.

Secondly, "The Hungry Ocean" I got from 1/2 Price Books and had a note card in it from a previous reader. Ever come across that..........ever done that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books