Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2016, 05:33 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
Isaac's Storm: A Man, a Time, and the Deadliest Hurricane in History
I love Erik Larson's books…enjoy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post

Bummer, I have Ruth Ozeki's book on my list. After reading this it may stay there until I am desperate -- I have a lot of other books there that are more compelling (or I would've read it by now).

It could just be me right now

Enjoy The Paris Bookshop. I loved the idea of a floating bookstore and his being able to pick exactly the right book for his customers.

Last night I started The Mammy by Brendan O'Carroll for a March "Irish" book. It takes place in Dublin in the 60's. The woman, Agnes is widowed with 7 children to raise. It is supposed to be a funny and quirky read.
The Mammy: Brendan O'Carroll: 9780452281035: Amazon.com: Books
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2016, 08:50 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
I haven't been reading as much lately, but one I just finished last night was Eventide by Kent Haruf. I am so in love with his writing. I love how he tells a story. I love how he writes a story. I ordered 2 more of his books.

I am currently reading The Magic of Ordinary Days by Ann Howard Creel. I'm only on chapter 2 but so far so good.

Old 03-23-2016, 11:48 AM

496 posts, read 395,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raindrop101 View Post
I liked that "You" was so unbelievable and exaggerated because it sheds light on the insane things that stalkers will do to be close to their victims. I think is also serves as a needed reminder that what is posted haphazardly on social media is out there for anyone, including the complete nut jobs of the world, to use at his/her discretion.

I posted about the sequel to "You" and I made sure to warn about its explicit scenes. It is as bad, if not worse!
Joe's psychoness (yea I made that up), was believable but when he ended up in the hospital and never had to fill out paperwork was stupidly unbelievable. You have to almost sign your life and first born child away before you can get treated in an E.R. That is the point where I lost total interest. Kepnes could have found a much more believable way to get Joe from point A to point B. I won't bother with the sequel.

I totally agree that it's a good reminder about letting your life be out there for anyone to view and what can happen if a psycho latches on!

Old 03-23-2016, 11:50 AM

496 posts, read 395,417 times
I finished Curly Girls last evening and started Moloka'i. So far it's fascinating.

Old 03-23-2016, 01:54 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly-Kay View Post
Joe's psychoness (yea I made that up), was believable but when he ended up in the hospital and never had to fill out paperwork was stupidly unbelievable.
I had one of my children treated in an ER, and due to her distress, they put me in a room before completing registration in triage. They never came back to finish so we were never billed for that visit. So not stupidly unbelievable. Just saying.

Old 03-23-2016, 02:22 PM

1,026 posts, read 1,192,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly-Kay View Post
Joe's psychoness (yea I made that up), was believable but when he ended up in the hospital and never had to fill out paperwork was stupidly unbelievable. You have to almost sign your life and first born child away before you can get treated in an E.R. That is the point where I lost total interest. Kepnes could have found a much more believable way to get Joe from point A to point B. I won't bother with the sequel.

I totally agree that it's a good reminder about letting your life be out there for anyone to view and what can happen if a psycho latches on!
You definitely wouldn't like the sequel, it's even more far-fetched. I was completely creeped out and disgusted by Joe in the first book, but in a weird, twisted way, I kinda liked his psychoness in the second book. Lol!

Old 03-24-2016, 06:56 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
I haven't been reading as much lately, but one I just finished last night was Eventide by Kent Haruf. I am so in love with his writing. I love how he tells a story. I love how he writes a story. I ordered 2 more of his books.

I am currently reading The Magic of Ordinary Days by Ann Howard Creel. I'm only on chapter 2 but so far so good.
I loved the book and the movie I have not been reading much since I have been working on getting my tomatoes in the ground and taking care of the rose garden and the numerous other flowers I have on my property .

Old 03-24-2016, 06:59 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
I had one of my children treated in an ER, and due to her distress, they put me in a room before completing registration in triage. They never came back to finish so we were never billed for that visit. So not stupidly unbelievable. Just saying.
yes the same thing happened to my son who was 5 at the time and they were calling around for a peds dr to come look at him he had broken his arm and he was throwing a fit about why it was hurting so bad and he was carrying on indeed . yeah not unbelievable . I don't think we were billed either since we were almost forgotten LOL .

Old 03-24-2016, 09:27 AM

556 posts, read 788,229 times
Just finished "The Girl on the Train" and didn't like it. Now I see why B&N gave me 40% off. I have plenty of TRL books in my possession and a new B&N 20% + member 10% so I'll try to make the next book a good one.

Old 03-24-2016, 09:52 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
I can't remember who it was who recommended Herman Wouk's Inside, Outside, but thank you! I'm really enjoying it. Marjorie Morningstar is one of my favorite books and I'm happy to be hearing Herman Wouk's voice again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books